1936 Maximum Democrats

I'm continuing my look at how badly the Republicans could have fallen in the earl 1930s. I already went through the Senate and House. In OTL, the balance of the Senate at the beginning of the 75th Congress was 75 Democrats, 16 Republicans, 2 Farmer-Labor, and 1 Progressive. However, with a slight percentage increase for the Democrats in the 1932, 1934, and 1936 Senate elections, the Republicans could have been down to only 9 Senators. The lone independent is George Norris of Nebraska.

attachment.php

Next is the House, where again the Republicans were already down by a huge margin. In OTL after the 1936 House elections, there were 334 Democrats, 88 Republicans, 8 Progressives (7 in Wisconsin, 1 in California), and 5 Farmer-Labor Representatives. After the tweaking, the shift is even worse, with the Republicans going down to only 40 House members! I also have William Lemke staying a member of the Union Party as Representative, since the Republican Party ITTL is sinking.

df5dxmk.png

Now for the governors. At the beginning of 1937, there were 38 Democratic governors, 8 Republicans, 1 Farmer-Labor, and 1 Progressive. The Republicans were in California (thanks Upton Sinclair), Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, the Dakotas, and for some reason Maryland and New Jersey.

Of these, the previous elections in Maryland, New Jersey, and South Dakota were close. And with William Langer as governor and the Union Party surviving, I could see Langer joining it and bring the Non-Partisan League along with him. So the Republicans at worst could have been down to 4 governorships in 1937. Those governors are Frank Merriam, George Aiken, Francis Murphy, and Lewis Burrows.

With the Republicans this hurt after the Depression, is it likely they would splinter, and what would arise to replace them? I think Hiram Johnson (one of the few surviving R senators) would bolt to the Progressives and boost them in California. The growing gap between conservative Southern Democrats and FDR would probably also lead to a split eventually, while rump Republican parties stay on in the far west and New England.

Last edited:
I'm interested, but what are the consequences?

Would a Constitutional Amendment for the Square Deal be possible?

The main issues in the 75th Congress would be if FDR tries to pack the courts in TTL and how the '37 recession is affected. From what I understand, FDR didn't try to pass much more sweeping economic legislation because he didn't really have a clear economic plan for his second term. With the court packing plan, I'm not sure if you'd have more support because of more Democrats in Congress or if you'd have more vehement opposition from the conservative Democrats because of it. That is, if he even tries for the court packing. An even larger margin in Congress might make FDR wait, and then the West Coast Hotel Co. v. Parrish ruling comes out in favor of the New Deal legislation and FDR decides not to.

Also, something I just noticed. The 1937 NYC mayoral election is going to be interesting ITTL. Fiorello La Guardia was a progressive Republican who had the support of FDR, the American Labor Party, and the Progressive Party. In TTL with the Republicans suffering worse, could FDR or the American Labor Party convince the mayor to break with the Republicans (possibly running mainly on the American Labor ticket)?

Perhaps conservative Southern Democrats break off and join with the Robert Taft Republicans? Essentially, the conservative coalition as a formal political party.

I would definitely be interested in see where you go with this. Would it be safe to assume that Minnesota has two Farmer-Labor senators and Wisconsin has one Progressive and one Democrat?

Perhaps conservative Southern Democrats break off and join with the Robert Taft Republicans? Essentially, the conservative coalition as a formal political party.
A conservative coalition will form, but I'm not sure when. At this point Robert Taft still hasn't been elected to Congress yet, thought it's likely he'll still win in 1938, so I'm not sure he'd be the leader of them. I could see either Garner or someone like Eugene Talmadge leading a Southern Democratic faction in the South.

I would definitely be interested in see where you go with this. Would it be safe to assume that Minnesota has two Farmer-Labor senators and Wisconsin has one Progressive and one Democrat?
Yes, that's right.

I'm trying to figure out who would be the Republican minority leader in the Senate for the 75th Congress. In TTL, Democrat William Mahoney defeats minority leader Charles McNary in Oregon (in OTL McNary won 51-48), and at the time there was no Republican whip. Of course, there aren't that many to choose from. Here's the 9 Republicans left in the Senate after 1936.

Hiram Johnson of California
William Borah of Idaho
Henry Cabot Lodge of Massachusetts
Styles Bridges of New Hampshire
Lynn Frazier and Gerald Nye of North Dakota
Frederick Steiwer of Oregon
Peter Norbeck of South Dakota
Ernest Gibson of Vermont

EIDT: Actually Norbeck is out. He died of cancer in December 1936, and Democrat Herbert Hitchcock was appointed to replace him. Which means the Republicans are actually down to 8 senators by the beginning of the 75th Congress. :eek:

Last edited:

katchen

Banned
Perhaps the Southerners cross the aisle and BECOME the Republican Party, as they are now, since they do favour a Republic rather than a Democracy.

Just for curiosities sake, who would have lost in the 1932, 1934, and 1936 Senate elections? And what are the numbers for both the House and Senate seats in 1936? (I'm interested in making a wikibox for this, so the raw numbers would be appreciated.)

Perhaps the Southerners cross the aisle and BECOME the Republican Party, as they are now, since they do favour a Republic rather than a Democracy.

They wouldn't call themselves that, given how much the Republican Party brand was loathed in the South, but they likely would split off and form a third party like the Jeffersonian Republicans would.

Just for curiosities sake, who would have lost in the 1932, 1934, and 1936 Senate elections? And what are the numbers for both the House and Senate seats in 1936? (I'm interested in making a wikibox for this, so the raw numbers would be appreciated.)
I had made wikiboxes on this same concept about two years ago, though I'm not sure if they ever made it to the forum. I'll see if I can try to dig them up tomorrow.
They wouldn't call themselves that, given how much the Republican Party brand was loathed in the South, but they likely would split off and form a third party like the Jeffersonian Republicans would.
The last party that had been established in the South were known as the Conservatives, so that is liable to be the name; National Democratic, or States' Rights Democratic, are both to similar to the name of the party which they would be trying to break away from. "American" could also be used, as it came up a number of times throughout history and was usually confined to the South; Texas in 1920 comes to mind for example, and Wallace's run in '68.

I've been meaning to put the Senate election summary up for a few days, so here it is. An underline denotes a change from OTL. Additional notes are in brackets.

1932:
AL: Hugo Black (D) reelected
AZ: Carl Hayden (D) reelected
AR: Hattie Caraway (D) elected
CA: William Gibbs McAdoo (D) defeats Tallant Tubbs (R)
CO: Walter Walker (D) reelected [Walker defeats Republican Karl Schuyler in the special election ITTL so it's him instead of Alva Adams]
CT: Augustine Lonergan (D) defeats Hiram Bingham III (R)
FL: Duncan Fletcher (D) reelected
GA: Walter F. George (D) reelected
ID: James Pope (D) defeats John Thomas (R)
IL: William Heinrich (D) defeats Otis Glenn (R)
IN: Frederick Van Nuys (D) defeats James Watson (R)
IA: Richard Murphy (D) defeats Henry Field (R)
KS: George McGill (D) reelected
KY: Alben Barkley (D) reelected
LA: John Overton (D) succeeds Edwin Broussard (D)
MD: Millard Tydings (D) reelected
MO: Bennett Champ Clark (D) succeeds Harry Hawes (D)
NV: Patrick McCarran (D) defeats Tasker Oddie (R)
NH: Fred Brown (D) defeats George Moses (R)
NY: Robert Wagner (D) reelected
NC: Robert Reynolds (D) succeeds Cameron Morrison (D)
ND: Gerald Nye (R) reelected
OH: Robert Bulkley (D) reelected
OK: Elmer Thomas (D) reelected
OR: Frederick Steiwer (R) reelected
PA: Lawrence Rupp (D) defeats James J. Davis (R)
SC: Ellison D. Smith (D) reelected
SD: Peter Norbeck (R) reelected [Norbeck dies on Dec. 20, 1936, Herbert Hitchcock (D) appointed to replace him]
UT: Elbert Thomas (D) defeats Reed Smoot (R)
VT: Porter Dale (R) reelected
WA: Homer T. Bone (D) defeats Wesley Jones (R)
WI: F. Ryan Duffy (D) defeats John Chapple (R)

Special elections:
GA, Class 2: Richard Russell (D) elected
NJ, Class 2: Percy H Stewan (D) defeats W. Warren Barbour (R)

Senate composition at beginning of 73rd Congress: 61 D 34 R 1 FL

1934:
AZ: Henry Ashurst (D) reelected
CA: Hiram Johnson (R) reelected
CT: Francis Maloney (D) defeats Frederick Walcott (R)
DE: Wilbur Adams (D) defeats John Townsend Jr. (R)
FL: Park Trammell (D) reelected
IN: Sherman Minton (D) defeats Arthur R. Robinson (R)
ME: Frederick Dubord (D) defeats Frederick Hale (R)
MD: George Radcliffe (D) defeats Joseph France (R)
MA: David Walsh (D) reelected
MI: Frank Picard (D) defeats Arthur Vandenberg (R)
MN: Henrik Hempstead (FL) reelected
MS: Theodore Bilbo (D) succeeds Hubert Stephens (D)
MO: Harry Truman (D) defeats Roscoe Patterson (R)
MT: Burton K. Wheeler (D) reelected
NE: Edward Burke (D) succeeds Richard Hunter (D)
NV: Key Pittman (D) reelected
NJ: A. Henry Moore (D) defeats Hamilton Kean (R)
NM: Dennis Chavez (D) defeats Branson Cutting (R)
NY: Royal Copeland (D) reelected
ND: Lynn Frazier (R) reelected
OH: Vic Donahey (D) defeats Simeon Hess (R)
PA: Joseph Guffey (D) defeats David Reed (R)
RI: Pete Gerry (D) defeats Keith Herbert (R)
TN: Kenneth McKellar (D) reelected
TX: Tom Connally (D) reelected
UT: William King (D) reelected
VT: Fred C. Martin (D) defeats Warren Austin (R)
VA: Harry Byrd (D) reelected
WA: Lewis Schwellenbach (D) succeeds Clarence Dill (D)
WV: Rush Holt (D) defeats Harry Hatfield (R)
WI: Robert La Follette Jr. (R) reelected as Progressive
WY: Joseph Mahoney (D) reelected

Senate composition at beginning of 74th Congress: 75 D 19 R 1 FL 1 P

Special:
MT, Class 2: James Murray (D) elected
NM, Class 2: Carl Hatch (D) elected
TN, Class 2: Nathan Bachman (D) elected

1936:
AL: John Bankhead II (D) reelected
AR: Joseph T. Robinson (D) reelected
CO: Edwin Johnson (D) succeeds Edward Castigan (D)
DE: James Hughes (D) defeats Daniel Hastings (R)
GA: Richard Russell Jr. (D) reelected
ID: William Borah (R) reelected
IL: James Lewis (D) reelected
IA: Clyde Herring (D) defeats Lester Dickinson (R)
KS: Omar Ketchum (D) defeats Arthur Capper (R)
KY: Marvel Logan (D) reelected
LA: Allen Ellender (D) succeeds Rose McConnell Long (D)
ME: Louis J. Brann (D) defeats Wallace White Jr. (R)
MA: Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (R) defeats James M. Curley (D) [this is the only Republican pickup in the Senate of the entire cycle]
MI: Prentiss Brown (D) defeats Wilbur Brucker (R)
MN: Ernest Lundeen (FL) succeeds Elmer Benson (FL)
MS: Pat Harrison (D) reelected
MT: James Murray (D) reelected
NE: George Norris (R) reelected as Independent
NH: Styles Bridges (R) succeeds Henry Keyes (R)
NJ: Percy H. Stewan (D) reelected [marked this as a change since W. Warren Barbour lost the special election in '32 here; in OTL William Smathers defeated Barbour]
NM: Carl Hatch (D) reelected
NC: Josiah Bailey (D) reelected
OK: Josh Lee (D) succeeds Thomas Gore (D)
OR: Willis Mahoney (D) defeats Charles McNary (R) [In OTL, Senate minority leader McNary barely held his seat by a 51-48 margin]
RI: Theodore Green (D) defeats Jesse Metcalf (R)
SC: James Byrnes (D) reelected
SD: William Bulow (D) reelected
TN: Nathan Bachman (D) reelected
TX: Morris Sheppard (D) reelected
VA: Carter Glass (D) reelected
WV: Matthew Neely (D) reelected
WY: Harry Schwartz (D) defeats Robert Carey (R)

Special:
FL, Class 1: Charles Andrews (D) succeeds Scott Loftin (D)
FL, Class 3: Claude Pepper (D) succeeds William Luther Hill (D) [both Florida senators died in 1936 and their replacement appointees declined to run to finish their terms]
IA, Class 3: Guy Gilette (D) elected
NM, Class 1: N/A [With Dennis Chavez defeating Branson Cutting in 1934, no special election is needed when Cutting dies]

Senate composition at beginning of 75th Congress: 84 D 8 R 2 FL 1 P 1 I

And the House makeup by state.

AL: 9 D
AR: 7 D
AZ: 1 D
CA: 15 D 4 R 1 P
CO: 4 D
CT: 5 D
DE: 1 D
FL: 5 D
GA: 10 D
ID: 2 D
IL: 24 D 3 R
IN: 12 D
IA: 9 D
KS: 5 D 2 R
KY: 8 D 1 R
LA: 8 D
ME: 2 D 1 R
MA: 8 D 6 R
MD: 6 D
MI: 15 D 2 R
MN: 1 R 7 FL
MS: 7 D
MO: 12 D
MT: 2 D
NE: 3 D 1 R
NV: 1 D
NH: 1 D 1 R
NJ: 14 D
NM: 1 D
NY: 30 D 14 R 1 AL
NC: 11 D
ND: 1 D 1 U
OH: 23 D 1 R
OK: 9 D
OR: 2 D 1 R
PA: 33 D 1 R
RI: 2 D
SC: 6 D
SD: 2 D
TN: 8 D 1 R
TX: 21 D
UT: 2 D
VA: 9 D
VT: 1 R
WA: 6 D
WI: 2 R 8 P
WV: 6 D
WY: 1 D

Total:
376 D 40 R 9 P 8 FL 1 D 1 AL

Leaders at beginning of 75th Congress
President: Franklin Delano Roosevelt (D-NY)
Vice President: John Nance Garner (D-TX)
President Pro Tempore: Key Pittman (D-NV)
Senate Majority Leader: Joseph T. Robinson (D-AR) [Alben Barkley (D-KY) after July 1937]
Senate Majority Whip: J. Hamilton Lewis (D-IL)
Senate Minority Leader: Gerald Nye (R-ND)
Senate Minority Whip: None
House Speaker: William Bankhead (D-AL)
House Majority Leader: Sam Rayburn (D-TX)
House Majority Whip: Patrick Boland (D-PA)
House Minority Leader: Bertrand Snell (R-NY)
House Minority Whip: Harry Englebright (R-CA)

With the rise of the CIO later in the decade, there would probably be more of an impetus to form a broad-based, union-oriented left-wing party, especially if Roosevelt doesn't necessarily need the votes of union members and can win election without them. If his conservative turn happens after 1937, as IOTL, left-wingers could capitalize on this by 1938, allowing a national Farmer-Labor Party to break into the system and win in working class districts, creating an effective opposition to the Democratic Party as the Republicans fade away.

By 1940, Roosevelt decides against courting the left (which is unilaterally opposed to entering the war) in favor of trying to hold on to the Democratic Party's right flank. He chooses another Southern running-mate (perhaps Bankhead?) and defeats a weak Republican challenge from Wendell Willkie or Bob Taft (who finishes third) and a much stronger challenge from a left-wing third party.

Roosevelt benefits from wartime, but his death leaves James Byrnes, a Southern conservative, in the White House. By this point, the Republicans have effectively ceased to function as a political party, leaving the Democrats challenged only by the Farmer-Labor Party, which runs a social democrat in '48 and takes the White House.

So now you've got a right-liberal Democratic Party and a social democratic Farmer-Labor Party.

By 1940, Roosevelt decides against courting the left (which is unilaterally opposed to entering the war) in favor of trying to hold on to the Democratic Party's right flank. He chooses another Southern running-mate (perhaps Bankhead?) and defeats a weak Republican challenge from Wendell Willkie or Bob Taft (who finishes third) and a much stronger challenge from a left-wing third party.

Would Willkie even have necessarily switched to the Republicans ITTL? He was a Democrat up until some point in the thirties IOTL.

So is the goal of this TL to basically have a one party society with nobody center-right at all ?

Considering that a lot of the Southern Democrat made up half (if not more) of the Conservative Coalition, and the fact that overwhelming majorities often split and form the new order and opposition, I don't think you have to worry about that.
---

I also made a Party Ring featuring the Senate in 1936.

1936 Senate Party Ring.png

1936 Senate Party Ring.png

Those are really good Nofix!

Would Willkie even have necessarily switched to the Republicans ITTL? He was a Democrat up until some point in the thirties IOTL.
Wilkie would probably still split with the Democrats. He was opposed to things like the TVA from the beginning. Whether he joins a Republican Party or a different party though is another thing (maybe the Liberal Party in New York?).

So is the goal of this TL to basically have a one party society with nobody center-right at all ?
Not quite, but this was one of the few times in modern political history that one of the two major parties was actually in danger of complete collapse. Even in OTL people at the time were seriously speculating about the demise of the Republican Party. A conservative party is bound to rise to oppose FDR even if the Republicans splinter.

Those are really good Nofix!

Wilkie would probably still split with the Democrats. He was opposed to things like the TVA from the beginning. Whether he joins a Republican Party or a different party though is another thing (maybe the Liberal Party in New York?).

Not quite, but this was one of the few times in modern political history that one of the two major parties was actually in danger of complete collapse. Even in OTL people at the time were seriously speculating about the demise of the Republican Party. A conservative party is bound to rise to oppose FDR even if the Republicans splinter.

Thanks. :)

He was a liberal internationalist, pro-Civil Rights, but anti-Government involvement in business. Not quite sure where to put him.

The Republicans had the chance of repeating the Whigs, a fragile coalition (Bob Taft and Tom Dewey in the same party with no uniting force) that was being torn apart for various reasons against the better united Democrats.