Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 4

Drat... this site looks great, but can't download the images.. or am I doing something wrong?
a print screen/screen capture, or just contact the artist/site (since it is copyrighted)
or just use the drawings from the manual of the kit (same procedure, screen capture of the needed part when pdf is full screen)

I dunno, it works for me. Just right click and then saving. Or are you on Mobile?
i assumed he meant the 2nd link (of the 7.2), that one is download protected for me too

Last edited:
Background: Not really got a major one, The US Army realises that putting a huge gun on a light platform is maybe not a good idea so they went with a sane light tank design, so they put what would be the M551's gun into something that might be able to handle the recoil better, this plus better manufacturing standards eliminated (or at least made them lest noticeable) some of the problems of the Gun/Missile system lead to the US Army deciding that said system would be main weapon on all future MBTs going forward.

Not sure why it would not make sense. Fire the "huge gun" and relocate the firing platform at the same time! Seems pretty efficient to me :)

Randy

Ramontxo

Donor
1702657155228.jpeg

When your IS3 is put in orbit by a hit...

Ramontxo

Donor
Ok I know that HESH is obsolete and all of that. That modern spaced armour defeats it. But an 120 mm round with several kilos of modern plastic HE can bring a lot of energy to an (any) structure. One of my wet dreams is the 165mm L9 (modified for longer more accurate barrel) (designed to get an European Shillelagh working) (French ACRA) hitting an T72...

I think it's usually considered by design engineers that 155mm-class is the maximum caliber for hand loading of one piece ammo for howitzer velocity, and 120mm-class is the maximum for hand loading of one piece ammo for tank/AT velocity. Two piece ammo bumps that up about one step each.

How would loading be handled in a 183mm-gun tank? What would be the rate of fire? Assuming two piece ammo, how many rounds could be stored?

I think it's usually considered by design engineers that 155mm-class is the maximum caliber for hand loading of one piece ammo for howitzer velocity, and 120mm-class is the maximum for hand loading of one piece ammo for tank/AT velocity. Two piece ammo bumps that up about one step each.

How would loading be handled in a 183mm-gun tank? What would be the rate of fire? Assuming two piece ammo, how many rounds could be stored?
Ready the article, it explains (almost) everything. 20 rounds, 2 loaders, for starters.

Garrison

Donor
A question for the new thread. Lets say that in 1914-15 trench warfare isn't a thing but the British decide an armoured tracked vehicle that can go off road to provide fire support for infantry while resisting enemy fire is something they want, or they just want something that will intimidate natives in far flung corners of the empire how different might it be from what we saw in WWI?

A question for the new thread. Lets say that in 1914-15 trench warfare isn't a thing but the British decide an armoured tracked vehicle that can go off road to provide fire support for infantry while resisting enemy fire is something they want, or they just want something that will intimidate natives in far flung corners of the empire how different might it be from what we saw in WWI?
the rolls royce armoured car can fit most of those tasks

tracked might not be mobile enough for colonial work, although use as artillery tractor def will be a thing

Last edited: