America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

Hmmm... I think something similar happened there, but I don't have my notes on that. I don't think the bombing due to some of the differences going on though I am unsure of the MNF would still be deployed. I think something like it would still happen regarding a force though. Sorry for not much of an answer there ^^;

I will say things did not go as bad down there at the very least.
Thanks for the answer :). Sorry for the late reply, been really busy :(.

Another question, what is the current situation of America's TTL manufacturing sector ? Has the Udall Presidency butterflied OTL's America economic choice of wrecking it's industrial base in favor of enriching finance, insurance and real estate sectors at the expense of everyone else ? Has the US move toward capital goods and high tech production, with TTL's rust and sun belts upskilling their industries instead of not replacing more labor intensive ones ?

Apologies if this question has been answered before :oops::(

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer :). Sorry for the late reply, been really busy :(.

Another question, what is the current situation of America's TTL manufacturing sector ? Has the Udall Presidency butterflied OTL's America economic choice of wrecking it's industrial base in favor of enriching finance, insurance and real estate sectors at the expense of everyone else ? Has the US move toward capital goods and high tech production, with TTL's rust and sun belts upskilling their industries instead of not replacing more labor intensive ones ?

Apologies if this question has been answered before :oops::(
No worries! I know what it's like!

As for manufacturing, it's a bit complicated. From what I gathered and looked, industry was always going to be slowing down regardless for reasons that really can't be helped. There is only so much "stuff" we can manufacture and stuff to build to manufacture. And other factors would cause thing to slow or accelerate. For example, here, things like removing the chicken tax and the exposure of fossil fuel companies' attempt to suppress info of long-term problems have meant that the American automobile industry is in serious trouble. And of course, the massive growing development in rail eletrification and the rise of public transportation and even changes in urban planning has contributed to the future of less people owning cars and even less usage from the people who use them will affect that too. Sure, they can adapt; GM has some history and experience with rail cars and both they and Ford could rely on their divisions abroad to try and design stuff, but still, it's the lday good days for the automobile in the 1990s as the decline picks up for the industry. But at the same time, making rail cars and buses would be something to fill the void, especially as the gas prices means there's a race for efficiency and alternate fuel sources. Hydrogen fuel cell and electric vehicles are in a race of development and unlike OTL, the US is certanly more willing to invest in green hydrogen and the infrastructure to keep it, especially since other elements are in place to make it more viable. But even with that, people are enjoying the benefits of seeing and having less traffic on the road and people not needing to buy cars.

This is but one example. Alot of nations are still gonna be increasing their focus on things like the service economy, the rise of big tech and finance to further balance out everything. Things like NAFTA and the like won't come to being, but the industrial base is still being phased out because of the fact of what we need to make and where the money is. The quality of items being produced isn't going down, but the quantity is to a degree. We don't see the large increase of planned obsolescence like OTL. Looking at here: some examples would be that decreasing durability won't work because it will hurt the brand (which some companies learned), methods to prevent people from repairing their own products like with the Apple screws would violate some new rules, and so on. It still sorta happens, but to a way lesser degree than OTL and one reason is that recognition of the economy shifting to the service sector along with people thinking in the long term.

Insurance... well, with the US having a single-payer universal healthcare along with the decline of cars, that does impact insurance to a noticeable degree. Real estate meanwhile isn't as troublesome as OTL thanks to new regulations and ideology with urban & neighborhood planning.

I will confirm that the US's industrial base has been increasing its focus on capital goods and potentially high tech production though. There is still some specificed stuff that needs to be made after all and with the growing focus on renewable energy earlier ITTL along other growing sectors, such as biotech, there are certainly fields for it to do so.

Thank you very much for the question!

No worries! I know what it's like!

As for manufacturing, it's a bit complicated. From what I gathered and looked, industry was always going to be slowing down regardless for reasons that really can't be helped. There is only so much "stuff" we can manufacture and stuff to build to manufacture. And other factors would cause thing to slow or accelerate. For example, here, things like removing the chicken tax and the exposure of fossil fuel companies' attempt to suppress info of long-term problems have meant that the American automobile industry is in serious trouble. And of course, the massive growing development in rail eletrification and the rise of public transportation and even changes in urban planning has contributed to the future of less people owning cars and even less usage from the people who use them will affect that too. Sure, they can adapt; GM has some history and experience with rail cars and both they and Ford could rely on their divisions abroad to try and design stuff, but still, it's the lday good days for the automobile in the 1990s as the decline picks up for the industry. But at the same time, making rail cars and buses would be something to fill the void, especially as the gas prices means there's a race for efficiency and alternate fuel sources. Hydrogen fuel cell and electric vehicles are in a race of development and unlike OTL, the US is certanly more willing to invest in green hydrogen and the infrastructure to keep it, especially since other elements are in place to make it more viable. But even with that, people are enjoying the benefits of seeing and having less traffic on the road and people not needing to buy cars.

This is but one example. Alot of nations are still gonna be increasing their focus on things like the service economy, the rise of big tech and finance to further balance out everything. Things like NAFTA and the like won't come to being, but the industrial base is still being phased out because of the fact of what we need to make and where the money is. The quality of items being produced isn't going down, but the quantity is to a degree. We don't see the large increase of planned obsolescence like OTL. Looking at here: some examples would be that decreasing durability won't work because it will hurt the brand (which some companies learned), methods to prevent people from repairing their own products like with the Apple screws would violate some new rules, and so on. It still sorta happens, but to a way lesser degree than OTL and one reason is that recognition of the economy shifting to the service sector along with people thinking in the long term.

Insurance... well, with the US having a single-payer universal healthcare along with the decline of cars, that does impact insurance to a noticeable degree. Real estate meanwhile isn't as troublesome as OTL thanks to new regulations and ideology with urban & neighborhood planning.

I will confirm that the US's industrial base has been increasing its focus on capital goods and potentially high tech production though. There is still some specificed stuff that needs to be made after all and with the growing focus on renewable energy earlier ITTL along other growing sectors, such as biotech, there are certainly fields for it to do so.

Thank you very much for the question!
Thanks for the reply :) . Part of my greatest nightmare or worse-case scenario in OTL is that if the move of manufacturing to the third world continues, America will gradually be transform into a souless information society in the near future 😮:confounded:. A glut of service and information workers, combined with widespread weak AI automation, has left the country with a terrible under-employment problem and not enough living-wage jobs to keep a substantial part of its population out of poverty 😨😱. I'm cautiously optimistic that TTL America will not transform into such a dystopia :).

Also, having read up to 1987, I have two additional questions. I ask because either it wasn't mentioned or my bad eyesight failed to spot them in the various posts :oops:.

1. Did the 1985 Anglo-Irish Agreement happen TTL?

2. Did Samantha Smith still write letters to Yuri Andropov and then visit the Soviet Union like OTL?

Thanks for the reply :) . Part of my greatest nightmare or worse-case scenario in OTL is that if the move of manufacturing to the third world continues, America will gradually be transform into a souless information society in the near future 😮:confounded:. A glut of service and information workers, combined with widespread weak AI automation, has left the country with a terrible under-employment problem and not enough living-wage jobs to keep a substantial part of its population out of poverty 😨😱. I'm cautiously optimistic that TTL America will not transform into such a dystopia :).
That’s definitely something though here, foreign outsourcing of manufacturing is very hamstrung by how the whole Panama Canal debacle went, with nations realizing they need to focus on returning their supply chains close to home.

Also, having read up to 1987, I have two additional questions. I ask because either it wasn't mentioned or my bad eyesight failed to spot them in the various posts :oops:.

1. Did the 1985 Anglo-Irish Agreement happen TTL?

2. Did Samantha Smith still write letters to Yuri Andropov and then visit the Soviet Union like OTL?

No worries! Glad you’re like the timeline and I appreciate the effort!

1- More or less something akin to it.

2- Yeah, and fortunately, she wouldn’t die here.

Turner is independent, just in a long-lasting agreement with Warner Bros regarding certain media like Cartoon Network in the like. Hand-in-hand, but not merged.
Cool!
Was different in this timeline.

ITTL, Eisner doesn't turn heel because he's got people to rein him in and keep him in check (especially witout the helicopter crash) . So Disney still purchases Pixar more or less like OTL.

Well, you'll have to wait and see. And here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island

You'll see.

I mean, it's just more letting them finish up, but the extra time off would lead to some thinking.
Ok.
On one of Nick's channels.
So then why is it not on Nick? Did Nick slip up?
MAR probably and Yu-Gi-Oh probably now on MetroKids.

May create a thread at some point about that.

Yup and probably a bit more so as the Internet community is increasingly diverse.

Yeah it still is. Good for feed back or asking questions.
Great!