The eagle's left head

Just a bishop like that of Rome.
He is THE ecumenical patriarch. Of course if you want to get funny one should note that the Lascarid lands are in the wrong or right side of the hesychast controversy with their bishops supporting the anti-hesychasts while Constantinople since Ioannis VI is under the hesychasts. And now Philanthropenos just grabbed Mount Athos....

Are we yet to the point where the Hesychast clergy would better have the Sultan ruling than a Lascarid?
I think we are very very far from preferring a Muslim Turk over an emperor that is almost exactly the same ethnically and with a very slight religious difference, to the point that no excommunication has even happened...

Are we yet to the point where the Hesychast clergy would better have the Sultan ruling than a Lascarid?
Likely not. OTL the last synod over hesychasm was in 1368 although supporters of anti-hesychasm existed into 1400 or so. Here the synod did not take place and anti-hesychasm is far stronger of course...

He is THE ecumenical patriarch. Of course if you want to get funny one should note that the Lascarid lands are in the wrong or right side of the hesychast controversy with their bishops supporting the anti-hesychasts while Constantinople since Ioannis VI is under the hesychasts. And now Philanthropenos just grabbed Mount Athos....
Same status as the bishop of Rome even by orthodox beliefs. He’s just first amongst equals. Used to be the case that the pope was first amongst equals before he went rogue and declared supremacy over all the others, including other patriarchs……

Last edited:
Same status as the bishop of Rome even by orthodox beliefs. He’s just first amongst equals. Used to be the case that the pope was first amongst equals before he went rogue and declared supremacy over all the others, including other patriarchs……
What exactly are you trying to prove? Yes on paper he is the first among equals and the Orthodox church is more democratic than the catholic. He is also the leading priest of the entire orthodox world period with immense influence and respect stemming from that.

What exactly are you trying to prove? Yes on paper he is the first among equals and the Orthodox church is more democratic than the catholic. He is also the leading priest of the entire orthodox world period with immense influence and respect stemming from that.
We were having a joke about the pope being a mere bishop of Rome when in reality the bishop of Rome is recognised as at least having jurisdiction over western Europe even under Orthodox beliefs.

I do love the fact that we're going to see Cyprus being downed rn. When the Lascarids roll up with the best army in their area, the Cypriots that thought they could get away with fighting the Lascarids are basically going to be part of the Empire for their troubles. The alliance between the Serbs and Ottomans would be very interesting, and the war that this would result in would be something that would be remembered in history and legend. The fact that the Ottoman Sultan thinks of the Sicilians as 'much harder than everyone else in Europe for now' is a nice touch too.

Also I think the Hesychasts would be seen as the losers of the Orthodoxy as this point. With mount Althos in the hands of the Third Empire it will be easy for Agnes to call anti-hesychast forces and reaffirm the empire's dedication to anti-hesychasm. I do hope Hesychast doctrine survives in some form though, maybe we get Hesychast monks escaping to Ukraine and Russia?

I do love the fact that we're going to see Cyprus being downed rn. When the Lascarids roll up with the best army in their area, the Cypriots that thought they could get away with fighting the Lascarids are basically going to be part of the Empire for their troubles. The alliance between the Serbs and Ottomans would be very interesting, and the war that this would result in would be something that would be remembered in history and legend. The fact that the Ottoman Sultan thinks of the Sicilians as 'much harder than everyone else in Europe for now' is a nice touch too.

Just one now inconsequential noble asking the Ottomans for help. The rest of the Serbian nobles who still have land are probably too busy fighting amongst themselves. Ironic that the Ottomans were the only ones who took the Lascarid Empire seriously while everyone including the small fries like Cyprus and the Knights thought that they could take on them and win .

Also I think the Hesychasts would be seen as the losers of the Orthodoxy as this point. With mount Althos in the hands of the Third Empire it will be easy for Agnes to call anti-hesychast forces and reaffirm the empire's dedication to anti-hesychasm. I do hope Hesychast doctrine survives in some form though, maybe we get Hesychast monks escaping to Ukraine and Russia?
The monks are hesychast.

Just one now inconsequential noble asking the Ottomans for help. The rest of the Serbian nobles who still have land are probably too busy fighting amongst themselves. Ironic that the Ottomans were the only ones who took the Lascarid Empire seriously while everyone including the small fries like Cyprus and the Knights thought that they could take on them and win .
Yeah I think for the Ottomans game recognises game lol.

They both are nascent states expanding their influence,
The monks are hesychast.
They can be easily... get rid of for an anti-hesychast ruling.

Yeah I think for the Ottomans game recognises game lol.

They both are nascent states expanding their influence,

They can be easily... get rid of for an anti-hesychast ruling.
Trying to get rid of monks would be very nasty optics wise. These are peaceful,’defenceless’ men of god even if their beliefs are false.

I think the ‘dumb’ and most reliable way to win would be to slowly appoint anti-hesychast bishops and priests in the newly conquered lands by way of natural replacement(after the old one died).

Last edited:
Trying to get rid of monks would be very nasty optics wise. These are peaceful,’defenceless’ men of god even if their beliefs are false.

I think the ‘dumb’ and most reliable way to win would be to slowly appoint anti-hesychast bishops and priests in the newly conquered lands by way of natural replacement(after the old one died).
tbf just go the 'make a ruling in Syracuse as the Basileus' first to make sure everyone knows that Hesychasm is false first, then move in.

tbf just go the 'make a ruling in Syracuse as the Basileus' first to make sure everyone knows that Hesychasm is false first, then move in.
Go the Louis XIV route. Anyone who wishes to become a new priest/monk/nun must swear to uphold the idea that Hesychasm is false.Ignore the people who are already there.

Last edited:
Go the Louis XIV rule. Anyone who wishes to become a new priest/monk/nun must swear to uphold the idea that Hesychasm is false.Ignore the people who are already there.
Tbf that would be the better option just bc I'd like to see Russians adopt t his practice while the Greeks and the Balkans outlaw it, making Orthodoxy be split between Syracusan doctrine and Moscow/Kiev doctrine.

Tbf that would be the better option just bc I'd like to see Russians adopt t his practice while the Greeks and the Balkans outlaw it, making Orthodoxy be split between Syracusan doctrine and Moscow/Kiev doctrine.
I’m interested in whether the Patriarch of Rome does see that all his attempts to defend the petty Latin feudatories were pointless and actually lead to a realistic compromise. If they do that, a split with Moscow is almost certain.