The Prince of the Roses - A Tudor TL

Speaking of brides, I'm throwing the field open for suggestions! Who will be Ned's lucky girl?
Christina or Dorothea of Denmark are obvious candidates - Any of Francis of France's daughters also work. Anne of Cleves is a fun option too. Her sister Amalia works as well, although both might be discarded due to religious reasons . Maria of Portugal is a good candidate as well, if Eleanor and Manuel still marry ttl

Also, maybe Marie de Guise for Henry's wife nr. 2? If he decides to marry again that is. Ttl he won't have his axe happy reputation, so she might consider England a better place to end up than Scotland

Christina or Dorothea of Denmark are obvious candidates - Any of Francis of France's daughters also work. Anne of Cleves is a fun option too. Her sister Amalia works as well, although both might be discarded due to religious reasons . Maria of Portugal is a good candidate as well, if Eleanor and Manuel still marry ttl
They could work as imperial proxies if Christian's fates goes as otl. Francis did have two daughters in the same years as Ned, but they both died young. Perhaps butterflies could work here. I can't see the Cleves girls being in the running for Ned, as the circumstances leading to that marriage will likely be gone.
But without the betrothal to Mary being here, perhaps Charles V will wed much earlier then otl.

Very true and to a better wife that will give him more than one son! Maybe he can wed Anne of hungary!
Hey, don't insult my empress like that. Not sure if Charles wants Anne, he considered her beneath him. But Mary the elder is taken, so he has no english bride and the french ones are toddlers/babies right now. Either Isabella or he mans up and weds Anne.

Hey, don't insult my empress like that. Not sure if Charles wants Anne, he considered her beneath him. But Mary the elder is taken, so he has no english bride and the french ones are toddlers/babies right now. Either Isabella or he mans up and weds Anne.
Sorry but she really let my boy down in the kids department. Charles deserved many happy and powerful children.

They could work as imperial proxies if Christian's fates goes as otl. Francis did have two daughters in the same years as Ned, but they both died young. Perhaps butterflies could work here. I can't see the Cleves girls being in the running for Ned, as the circumstances leading to that marriage will likely be gone.
But without the betrothal to Mary being here, perhaps Charles V will wed much earlier then otl.
With Mary not existing and with Anne going to Ferdinand, Charles maybe marries Isabella much earlier, which could mean that they have a daughter as early as 1520/21 maybe? With Charles marrying earlier, Eleanor perhaps avoids her Manuel marriage which also allows her to marry Joaõ, which also frees up Catherine of Austria for somewhere else? A lot could happen here. Butterflies could save Francis' daughters too. Mary of Bourbon might also be an option for Henry's wife nr. 2

Sorry but she really let my boy down in the kids department. Charles deserved many happy and powerful children.
She did her best! If Charles weren't around jumping around in Europe all the damn time, it might have gone better for her. And don't worry about Charles, he won't have a miserable life in my tl.

She did her best! If Charles weren't around jumping around in Europe all the damn time, it might have gone better for her. And don't worry about Charles, he won't have a miserable life in my tl.
That's great to hear! One of the greatest habsburgs to ever live! Hope his happier life involves plenty of little ones.

Pretty unlikely as Mary Tudor was not his only young fiancée and he would still be engaged to Charlotte of France until her death in 1524 (as he was in OTL). After Pavia she could end being replaced by her aunt Renee or Charles can marry Isabella as OTL.

Very true and to a better wife that will give him more than one son! Maybe he can wed Anne of hungary!
No way, as Anne at this point is already married-by-proxy to Ferdinand (And Charles had already refuted at least twice to marry her)
Henry pulling a Manuel on his son and taking his betrothed does sound very plausible for the man.
That was not what happened. And Eleanor was never engaged to Joao at all. Simply Manuel put the marriage of his daughter Isabella as priority over that of Joao, and when Charles refuted to marry Isabella, the plans for a match between Joao and Eleanor were abandoned. Then Charles offered his sister as bride to Manuel for keeping Portugal friendly (she could not marry Joao as Portugal had made clear who they would not accept that match without a parallel one between Charles and Isabella) and Manuel accepted

Last edited:
With Mary not existing and with Anne going to Ferdinand, Charles maybe marries Isabella much earlier, which could mean that they have a daughter as early as 1520/21 maybe? With Charles marrying earlier, Eleanor perhaps avoids her Manuel marriage which also allows her to marry Joaõ, which also frees up Catherine of Austria for somewhere else? A lot could happen here. Butterflies could save Francis' daughters too. Mary of Bourbon might also be an option for Henry's wife nr. 2
That can work, and scuffling around the hapsburgs as well. Mary can be a good choice for Henry, otl she was considered for James V of Scotland.
That's great to hear! One of the greatest habsburgs to ever live! Hope his happier life involves plenty of little ones.
We'll see what happens to Charles.
Pretty unlikely as Mary Tudor was not his only young fiancée and he would still be engaged to Charlotte of France until her death in 1524 (as he was in OTL). After Pavia she could end being replaced by her aunt Renee or Charles can marry Isabella as OTL.

No way, as Anne at this point is already married-by-proxy to Ferdinand (And Charles

That was not what happened. And Eleanor was never engaged to Joao at all. Simply Manuel put the marriage of his daughter Isabella as priority over that of Joao, and when Charles refuted to marry Isabella, the plans for a match between Joao and Eleanor were abandoned. Then Charles offered his sister as bride to Manuel for keeping Portugal friendly (she could not marry Joao as Portugal had made clear who they would not accept that match without a parallel one between Charles and Isabella) and Manuel accepted
I was wondering when you would show up.

Not her fault at all as she birthed three living boys plus two stillborn ones and Charles was often away