Very Minor PODs

I read somewhere recently that Jean Monnet, arguably the chief architect of European Integration had tried to get passage on the Titanic for a business trip on behalf of his father. If he had succeeded he may well have been among those who died and the creation of the EEC may have been significantly delayed, not sure if this story is true but it would have a lot of potential of it was.

Constantine pushes the [first] Council of Nicaea into adopting Arian doctrines rather than Athanasian ones. That's a relatively small difference at the time, but butterflies away the later Chalcedonian/Nestorian/Monophysite divisions over the nature of Christ... although I expect that the Christians find some other aspect of their theology to divide over instead.

Constantine pushes the [first] Council of Nicaea into adopting Arian doctrines rather than Athanasian ones. That's a relatively small difference at the time, but butterflies away the later Chalcedonian/Nestorian/Monophysite divisions over the nature of Christ... although I expect that the Christians find some other aspect of their theology to divide over instead.

Yeah, I don't think it's possible for a religion to be as big as Christianity and not run into ideological schisms.

Deleted member 6086

An unexploded bomb detonates while being removed from the Volkswagen works in 1945, resulting in the Beetle, and by extention the entire Volkswagen Group and Porsche being strangled in their cradle.

1966 - The Azerbaijani linesman does not give Hurst's goal in extra time against Germany. England loses as a result (a replay or a German goal in extra time). English football history is changed forever. Millions upon millions of butterflies possible here.

What? I travel between timelines. Other people can't do that?

Sorry, I should have wrote "noticing they're reading a different timeline".

I was thinking you were talking about some John Dies at the End shit.
That novel does have some hints of alternate history in it. Actually, it may have been the sequel, This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It.

Hyperion

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...sion_of_the_Philippines_and_Dutch_East_Indies

Here's an interesting POD, I don't know if it's really minor, but I also can't think of a lot of major butterflies, at least not in the short term.

On February 17, 1942, the British submarine HMS Truant fires a spread of six torpedoes at the Japanese cruiser Nagara. Three torpedoes miss, one going in front of the ship and two behind, but the other three torpedoes hit dead on.

The Nagara sinks in about an hour, taking some 350 of her 450 crew. It isn't however enough to prevent the invasion of Bali or Java, and other operations proceed the same as OTL. Maybe later in 1942, or more likely 1943 or 1944 the loss of a ship earlier might make a difference, but early on it probably isn't going to matter much one way or another.

The skipper and some crew of the HMS Truant might get some medals, the skipper might get mentioned in dispatches or something, but overall a relatively minor event during a dark period for the Allies.

In 1857 or so near my home town, there was something called the Battle of Two Rivers, in which the Ojibwe and Dakota were fighting each other to live in the area. The Ojibwe won, and no doubt it seemed like a big event to the people involved, but this was before the white people moved in, so the relevance quickly approached 0. If the Dakota won, the big difference would be that a different survivor would have been interviewed by a reporter 40 years after the fact.

How about Conan Doyle, or whoever it was, does not make the Piltdown Man hoax in 1912.

At this point, the oldest purported hominid is the Javan Homo erectus, from which there is no complete cranium available. In 1921, the Broken Hill cranium is found and Homo rhodesiensis receives the attention it deserves, since there is no Piltdown Man to back the British establishment's "wells, why would man come from Africa when we have evidence right here that it hails from next to London" :)rolleyes:). BH's comparative small cranium and teeth also draws contrary lessons to Piltdown's big brain and big teeth, and in 1925 Australopithecus is seriously considered, if not outright accepted as the oldest known hominid, and as a result Raymond Dart is not shun for 20 years. This leads to a surge in human fossil hunts to South Africa which results in the earlier discovery of Paranthropus (OTL 1938) and maybe Homo habilis (OTL 1949, but not named/recognized until the discoveries in East Africa of the 1960s).

There is even a getaway explanation for the racist preconceived ideas of the time that made people refuse to consider Africa the craddle of humanity. "Weee, South Africa is almost European in climate, so it makes sense that apes would become men there, and not in some torrid backwards area like Ethiopia or Kenya or Tanzania you know".

This has massive repercussions in paleoanthropology and accelerates knowledge of early hominids by decades. It's historical repercussions outside of that? Next to zero. People would think of Mrs. Ples or the Taung Child rather than Lucy when told to think of a pre-Homo hominid. Leakey would still make his discoveries in East Africa from the 1960s onward, since he was born and raised in Kenya, but they won't be seen as revolutionary or be as heavily featured in paleoanthropology books. Oh, and creationists would lack a convenient straw man to bring up when attacking human evolution and ignore all the actual evidence, but I suppose they would just use the Nebraska Man instead.

According to The Pawprints of History and Cracked, a dog belonging to Cardinal Wolsey bit Pope Clement VII during a meeting where the Pope and the Cardinal were supposed to negotiate Henry VIII's divorce. The Pope ended the meeting and refused the divorce.
So what if that hadn't happened?

Minor pod that nobody would care about what if Clinton choose a blue tie before meeting with Boris Eltsine?

Paul MacQ

Monthly Donor
St. Paul gets knocked off his donkey injury bad enough he does not continue his Preaching in Rome’s dominions.