What are people's predictions of what date the CSA will officially surrender? Let's make a bit of a game out of it.

Pick a date and whoever is closest to the actual date without going over (like how "the Price is Right" works) wins a prize! Well, not a real prize, just bragging rights. But still!

I'll start: I was originally going to say 11/11/1916 but thought that would be a bit too on the nose. Instead, I'll say 10/16/1916 for a few reasons.

1 - That's my birthday so why not?
2 - This update mentions how Nashville was "a preview for further battles in Tennessee and Georgia over the following year and a half." Nashville ended 5/15 so 18 months means the war won't end before roughly late October/early Nov, so IMO a surrender date in August or thereabouts is out.
3 - American generalship has been quite frankly pretty poor lately. There's an update about how a Confederate general used cavalry of all things to stop an American offensive post-Nashville for example. That's a pretty damning indictment of American leadership that they lost to horses in a trench warfare setting. But, American political leadership (loathe as I am to admit it) has rounded into form while Dixie's leadership is quite bad and will only get worse. So what's the point? My point is the CSA is far more likely to fire a general for "defeatism" or "cowardice" when he "only" inflicts 2x as many casualties and withdraws to the next set of trenches. So the American generals can learn from their defeats and improve while the CSA will keep firing guys which is a recipe for disaster in the medium and long terms. Eventually the CSA will run out of good or even mediocre generals and only the bad or the craven will be around to lead Dixie's armies.
4 - The Confederate economy is probably hanging by a thread. Home front stability and cohesion are also falling apart. Once that stuff goes, it causes cascading effects. It is like a boulder rolling down a hill - it starts slowly at first then goes faster and faster. I predict that we won't really start to see the effects until summer 1916.

If you are interested, post your date and I'll keep track and when we get to Armistice Day (which I can for sure see being a holiday in the USA a al Veterans Day) we can circle back.
I think May 5 would be too on-the-nose given Nashville and Hilton Head (also, the timing just doesn't work) ;)

Instead, in true Turtledove fashion I'm going to say November 4 (date on which the the Civil War concludes in How Few Remain), as alternate history rhymes more than OTL.
Good guesses, though never assume that I’m not above being egregiously on the nose!

What are people's predictions of what date the CSA will officially surrender? Let's make a bit of a game out of it.

Pick a date and whoever is closest to the actual date without going over (like how "the Price is Right" works) wins a prize! Well, not a real prize, just bragging rights. But still!

I'll start: I was originally going to say 11/11/1916 but thought that would be a bit too on the nose. Instead, I'll say 10/16/1916 for a few reasons.

1 - That's my birthday so why not?
2 - This update mentions how Nashville was "a preview for further battles in Tennessee and Georgia over the following year and a half." Nashville ended 5/15 so 18 months means the war won't end before roughly late October/early Nov, so IMO a surrender date in August or thereabouts is out.
3 - American generalship has been quite frankly pretty poor lately. There's an update about how a Confederate general used cavalry of all things to stop an American offensive post-Nashville for example. That's a pretty damning indictment of American leadership that they lost to horses in a trench warfare setting. But, American political leadership (loathe as I am to admit it) has rounded into form while Dixie's leadership is quite bad and will only get worse. So what's the point? My point is the CSA is far more likely to fire a general for "defeatism" or "cowardice" when he "only" inflicts 2x as many casualties and withdraws to the next set of trenches. So the American generals can learn from their defeats and improve while the CSA will keep firing guys which is a recipe for disaster in the medium and long terms. Eventually the CSA will run out of good or even mediocre generals and only the bad or the craven will be around to lead Dixie's armies.
4 - The Confederate economy is probably hanging by a thread. Home front stability and cohesion are also falling apart. Once that stuff goes, it causes cascading effects. It is like a boulder rolling down a hill - it starts slowly at first then goes faster and faster. I predict that we won't really start to see the effects until summer 1916.

If you are interested, post your date and I'll keep track and when we get to Armistice Day (which I can for sure see being a holiday in the USA a al Veterans Day) we can circle back.

I don't think it is going to end until after the next election. So that has to be sometime after November 7, 1916. Considering the old canard of "that war will be over by Christmas ... but which Christmas?" I'd actually like to the Confederate government trying to hold out until after the holiday season (oooh! You could talk about Dixie's "Black Christmas" and the mood of the holiday as everyone knows the war is lost but no one wants to throw in the towel yet. And naturally a serial killer, with the assistance of a bad cat, kills a bunch of people). So I'm going to argue for early January - lets say January 6, 1917.

I don't think it is going to end until after the next election. So that has to be sometime after November 7, 1916. Considering the old canard of "that war will be over by Christmas ... but which Christmas?" I'd actually like to the Confederate government trying to hold out until after the holiday season (oooh! You could talk about Dixie's "Black Christmas" and the mood of the holiday as everyone knows the war is lost but no one wants to throw in the towel yet. And naturally a serial killer, with the assistance of a bad cat, kills a bunch of people). So I'm going to argue for early January - lets say January 6, 1917.
The war ending on Christmas leading to the CSA calling it Black Christmas would be hilarious.

Also Christmas being one of the most important christian holidays is a *very* recent thing actually; I could see Confederates downplaying it out of spite just because thats a very Southron thing to do.

You might very well be right but I'm of the mind that the war ends just before the election and the October Surprise of an armistice is what puts Hughes/whoever runs instead of Hughes over the top in the election a few weeks or so later.

You might very well be right but I'm of the mind that the war ends just before the election and the October Surprise of an armistice is what puts Hughes/whoever runs instead of Hughes over the top in the election a few weeks or so later.
Echoes of Sherman’s March to the Sea in late 1864 putting Lincoln over the line, though obviously entirely different contexts

Echoes of Sherman’s March to the Sea in late 1864 putting Lincoln over the line, though obviously entirely different contexts

Yeah, the situation is vastly different - in the ATL the Democrats aren't at risk of pulling Union troops back, and there seems to be a nation consensus of breaking the Southron's will. So 1916 is going to revolve around who can pursue the war better - the Dems will draw a lot of attention to corruption and failures on the battlefield (the occupation of Maryland, for instance, or wondering why Richmond isn't in Union hands yet.) So the campaign right before the election (and it might actually BE the Fall of Atlanta, because much like Geoge Lucas says "It rhymes!") is what convinces enough Americans to not want to change horses during the last lap. But the war still drags on for a few months later, because even if the Confederae leadership KNOWS its over, no one wants to be the one to say it: look what happened to the LAST guy who questioned the war, even before it began!

Also: Really, not one comment about a serial killer cat ;)

Well if you're not, I will put my two bits on 11 Nov 1916.

So, remember when I asked if you had compiled the excerpts of the fictional books and you say you did not. Well, just for fun, I tried doing it to Gustavo Reyes' long running "Maximilian of Mexico" ^^.
At pocket book format, margins and work breaks, and I've just compiled every excerpt up to late 1913 (which is the point I'm at), I got 91 pages.

Attachments

• Maximilian of Mexico - Gustavo Reyes.pdf
    443.9 KB · Views: 236
So, remember when I asked if you had compiled the excerpts of the fictional books and you say you did not. Well, just for fun, I tried doing it to Gustavo Reyes' long running "Maximilian of Mexico" ^^.
At pocket book format, margins and work breaks, and I've just compiled every excerpt up to late 1913 (which is the point I'm at), I got 91 pages.
Holy shit! That’s awesome!

If Mexico makes some sort of agreement with the US then I see Texas starting to look for a deal to save themselves. With the Confederacy focused on the east I see the Texans unwilling to sacrifice anymore.

Hmm. "Nations" in North America (being defined as anything north of the Colombian border including all Caribbean Islands) that are in *Better* shape than OTL in the year 2000. Mexico (definitely), Nicaragua , Cuba and Haiti (presumably). DR and Puerto Rico(I *guess*)

Hmm. "Nations" in North America (being defined as anything north of the Colombian border including all Caribbean Islands) that are in *Better* shape than OTL in the year 2000. Mexico (definitely), Nicaragua , Cuba and Haiti (presumably). DR and Puerto Rico(I *guess*)
I’d say that’s broadly accurate. Depends how you define “better” but the US is, while not the world’s superpower, politically more functional with a more equal economy with the South not being inside the tent

I’d say that’s broadly accurate. Depends how you define “better” but the US is, while not the world’s superpower, politically more functional with a more equal economy with the South not being inside the tent
Are you still rolling with Prince Edward Island as Cayman North? Because if they're a weird tax carveout they might be better off than OTL?