A Light Shines East: A Christian Persia TL

I wonder if the Gnostics might be to TTL what Arianism was to OTL: a dissident version of the religion that lost out in the main empire the religion started in, but gains a foothold in the peripherals of the empire and among enemies of it.
Well unlike OTL arians they probably would survive given that the egiptians wouldn't have the reasons the germans have to convert to the mainstream doctrine
Can't help but think the Zoroastrian religious leaders and other Persian elites will eventually try at least one persecution of Christians. The idea behind Persian tolerance of local religious and customs was to ensure the conquered locals were loyal to the new regime, not to let said religions overtake them.
I can see small scale presecutions like the ones that ocurred in the Roman Empire from time to time by the local authorities but the problem is that they lacked any unified leadership during the arsacids and if the sassanids convert as in the original TL they only would have a small timeframe to make any persecution

I wonder if the Gnostics might be to TTL what Arianism was to OTL: a dissident version of the religion that lost out in the main empire the religion started in, but gains a foothold in the peripherals of the empire and among enemies of it.
Gnosticism will have more success than IOTL.
Can't help but think the Zoroastrian religious leaders and other Persian elites will eventually try at least one persecution of Christians. The idea behind Persian tolerance of local religious and customs was to ensure the conquered locals were loyal to the new regime, not to let said religions overtake them.
I can see small scale presecutions like the ones that ocurred in the Roman Empire from time to time by the local authorities but the problem is that they lacked any unified leadership during the arsacids and if the sassanids convert as in the original TL they only would have a small timeframe to make any persecution
The Zoroastrian clergy never had the same level of influence under the Arsacids as they did under the Sasanian. Also, Zoroastrianism by this point is much more informal and heavily syncretized with local polytheistic traditions; the centralized, monotheistic Zoroastrianism which we are more familiar with today wouldn’t fully develop until after the Arsacids had fallen. Small-scale local persecutions will definitely be a thing ITTL, especially considering the Parthian Empire’s decentralization, but nothing on the imperial scale like we saw with Diocletian IOTL.

Christianity and Zoroastrianism
From “A History of the Apostolic Church” by Afshin Khorami

When Christianity was introduced to the Arsacid Empire, the Persians already had an ancient and well-established religion; Zoroastrianism. Founded by the Prophet Zoroaster, Zoroastrianism taught that the world existed in a state of struggle between the benevolent creator god Ahura Mazda and the evil spirit Angra Mainyu. Humans, in this worldview, are free to choose between good, or asha, and evil, or druj. Zoroastrianism spread throughout what is today Persia after Zoroaster’s death, eventually becoming the state religion of the Achaemenid Empire. Following the Macedonian conquests, Zoroastrianism lost its status as state religion, with Hellenistic beliefs taking its place. Zoroastrianism would regain state support with the ascendency of the Arsacids, but by this point it had changed significantly. While Zoroastrians originally worshipped in outdoor locations, they now did so in fire temples. While the Avesta[1] had once been purely oral tradition, it was now beginning to be written down. And most significantly, the religion had absorbed numerous foreign deities and concepts. Syncretism between Zoroastrianism and Greek and Mesopotamian religions was encouraged by the Arsacid shahs, who also made an effort to deify themselves.

Despite the absorption of foreign concepts, Zoroastrianism remained strongly tied to the Persian identity. Indeed, most of the early converts to Christianity in the Arsacid Empire were not Persians, but Aramaic-speaking Mesopotamians. That said, Christianity would make inroads in Persia, especially in major urban centers. Most converts were from the urban poor and slaves, while the upper classes and countryside staid true to their ancestral Zoroastrian religion. However, once Christianity arrived in Persia, it was bound to converge with Zoroastrian ideas. At a basic level, the two religions had similar ideas; both believed in a benevolent, omnipotent creator god, both believed that the afterlife saw reward or punishment based on actions in life, and, crucially, they both believed in a savior figure. The idea of Jesus as the Messiah foretold in the Old Testament, sent to redeem mankind and die for their sins forms the basis of Christian belief. The Zoroastrians, meanwhile, told of a coming savior figure known as the Saoshyant. According to the Avesta, the Saoshyant would come at the end of time to bring about the Frashokereti, or the final victory of good against evil.

According Zoroastrian tradition[2], the Saoshyant would be born of a virgin, much like Jesus was. Likewise, many of the details of the Saoshyant’s coming life and accomplishments are similar to Jewish traditions about the Messiah. Furthermore, the magi who visited the baby Jesus were Zoroastrian priests. All of these facts meant that Christian missionaries presented Jesus as having been the Saoshyant foretold in the Avesta. If Jesus had been the Saoshyant, this logically meant that Zoroaster had been a legitimate prophet, and that Ahura Mazda was one and the same as the God of Abraham. Christians presented their religion as not only a realization of Judaism, but also a revival of the original principles of Zoroastrianism which had been practiced under the Achaemenids(praises in the Old Testament and held in high regard by both Christian and non-Christian Persians) but which had been forgotten over time. Christianity would likewise adopt other Zoroastrianism. For example, Nowruz was originally the Zoroastrian new year before it was was claimed as the day when Christ was born. Many of the archangels recognized by the Apostolic Church, meanwhile, were once the Zoroastrian Spenta Mainyu.

Many Christians sought to separate “philosophical Zoroastrianism”, which was seen as Zoroaster’s original teachings which were compatible with Christianity, and “religious Zoroastrianism”, which was a pagan corruption. Zoroaster’s core precepts of “good thoughts, good words, good deeds” were praised by Christian thinkers. Meanwhile, the worship of deities such as Mithra, Anahita, and so forth was condemned as entirely alien to Zoroaster’s teachings. For this reason, the Gathas(hymns written by Zoroaster himself) were and are recognized by the Church as having been divinely inspired, while the rest of the Avesta(which was compiled by the magi over time) is largely ignored in a Christian thought. Nevertheless, the syncretism between Christianity and Zoroastrianism greatly facilitated the spread of Christianity in Persia.

[1]Zoroastrian holy text

[2]Apocryphal tradition, not in the Avesta

So the Gathas are a third Book in TTL Bible or are put in the Old Testament?

Also interesting how Christianity is starting to syncretize with Zoroastrian, though I particularly look at how they explain the trinity and Jesus nature TTL

Edit: Something interesting I found one of Ahura Mazda titles is the Holy Spirit

Last edited:
This seems similar to how the Spanish explained christianity to the Mexica and other peoples in the Americas.
Syncretism always was an effective way of getting defeated peoples on board with the conquerors' religion. Although there's little of the pre-Colombian religions to be found in LATAM Catholicism these days.

So the Gathas are a third Book in TTL Bible or are put in the Old Testament?
The Gathas are considered apocrypha. If they do make it into the Bible ITTL, it will be in the Old Testament.
This seems similar to how the Spanish explained christianity to the Mexica and other peoples in the Americas.
Also interesting how Christianity is starting to syncretize with Zoroastrian, though I particularly look at how they explain the trinity and Jesus nature TTL
Syncretism always was an effective way of getting defeated peoples on board with the conquerors' religion. Although there's little of the pre-Colombian religions to be found in LATAM Catholicism these days.
Whenever a religion begins to entrench itself in an area, it begins to syncretized with local traditions. Christianity is no exception, IOTL or ITTL.

The Gathas are considered apocrypha. If they do make it into the Bible ITTL, it will be in the Old Testament.
So when are we getting the Bible chapter? I am really excited about it along with the ascension of the Sassanids and whatever happen to the Egyptian gnostics

Great chapter! Will Nestorian Christianity manage to stick around in Central Asia, perhaps China too? Because with a greater Christian presence in Persia, there could be way more Christian influence, mainly through merchants, in China.

Great chapter! Will Nestorian Christianity manage to stick around in Central Asia, perhaps China too? Because with a greater Christian presence in Persia, there could be way more Christian influence, mainly through merchants, in China.
I don't think there's going to be a Nestorian Christianity given that the pod was during the fight between the Pauline and the Jewish Christians but Christianity probably is going to have a greatest presence in China given that they are in the middle of the Silk Road instead of at it's end

Now that I mention the Jewish Christian @Merovingian there's any possibility of them surviving in this TL? they survive until the V century OTL and given that the Gnostics are surviving I think it would be good to see the third branch of early Christianity surviving as well

I don't think there's going to be a Nestorian Christianity given that the pod was during the fight between the Pauline and the Jewish Christians but Christianity probably is going to have a greatest presence in China given that they are in the middle of the Silk Road instead of at it's end

Now that I mention the Jewish Christian @Merovingian there's any possibility of them surviving in this TL? they survive until the V century OTL and given that the Gnostics are surviving I think it would be good to see the third branch of early Christianity surviving as well
Nestorianism won’t exist(it only really became a thing because Persian Christians didn’t want to be associated with the Romans, which obviously won’t happen ITTL) but Christianity will spread to China. Jewish Christianity has a decent chance of surviving ITTL, although nothing’s for certain yet. If I do decide to include it, Ethiopia and Arabia are both likely places where it might spread. In general, Christianity will be more internally diverse ITTL, with Gnosticism and possibly Jewish Christianity surviving alongside the proto-orthodox church that emerged dominant IOTL.