Alternate Locations for “Hollywood”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say without a doubt, that Hollywood is one of the most iconic places in US Entertainment History. It produces every film from the US, and is the most popular places in the US.

It was founded in the beginning of 20th Century, and was chosen for its great location and the early oil boom in California.

However, what if California was never chosen for the seat of cinema? What if Hollywood never rose to prominence?

What alternate location could a “Hollywood” where the majority of the Cinema Industry is in, could potentially be?

(Sidenote: May or may not add a poll later on.)

I can say without a doubt, that Hollywood is one of the most iconic places in US Entertainment History. It produces every film from the US, and is the most popular places in the US.

It was founded in the beginning of 20th Century, and was chosen for its great location and the early oil boom in California.

However, what if California was never chosen for the seat of cinema? What if Hollywood never rose to prominence?

What alternate location could a “Hollywood” where the majority of the Cinema Industry is in, could potentially be?

(Sidenote: May or may not add a poll later on.)
I would say Texas, California was to avoid Edison monopoly, kill Edison and a patent troll equivalent and them NY is still USA cultural Mecca in everything

One of the early locations for many of the first movies was Ithaca NY. Its lakes, gorges and old Tudor style homes on or near the campus of Cornell University were great backgrounds for several early movie companies.
However, Ithaca's long winter and its proximity to New Jersey where the Wizard of Menlo Park (Thomas Edison) was actively enforcing his movie patents resulted in a decline in movie production and finally its abandonment If Edison had not been so legally aggressive would it have made economic sense to build large sound stages in Ithaca to keep filming going in the Winter?
Hard to say, but some film buffs still have old "Perils of Pauline" style silent movies filmed in Cascadilla Gorge very close to where I went to Law School.

iirc, part of the reason Southern California in general was chosen is because of the favorable weather--you're not as likely to be interrupted by sudden showers as in some other places, for example, making filming much easier. so a good choice for an alternate one would be a place with similarly mild weather.

iirc, part of the reason Southern California in general was chosen is because of the favorable weather--you're not as likely to be interrupted by sudden showers as in some other places, for example, making filming much easier. so a good choice for an alternate one would be a place with similarly mild weather.
https://brilliantmaps.com/california-filming-map/ this mappo shows why was California uber alles
EDIT: WITH PHOTOS https://earthlymission.com/paramoun...ations-in-california-in-1927-now-with-photos/

The New York metro area was the OG Hollywood and Chicago was very significant too. Maybe it moves it stays there instead of moving to Los Angeles. Once transportation and air conditioning are invented, maybe it moves to Seattle or a sun belt city like Atlanta or Orlando in the second half of the 20th century.

Florida. There was a real plan to build a second major film industry location in the US and they were already building it in the 20s. A typhoon ended all construction of the location.

But seriously, there was a real film industry in Florida around WWI! https://www.chromahouse.com/florida-film-history/
Florida. There was a real plan to build a second major film industry location in the US and they were already building it in the 20s. A typhoon ended all construction of the location.
Jacksonville, FL.
now that you mention it, i do seem to remember hearing about that a while back

Was Hollywood answering a demand for Westerns, or were they just easy because of nearby locations?
Could the genre be delayed until travel improves?
if it means anything, one of the stops on the Universal Studios Backlot Tour in Hollywood is Sixpoints, Texas, so named because, in the silent era, they could film as many as six Westerns in that part of the studio simultaneously. nothing to say that "Floridawood" couldn't do that, too.

So Florida seems to be a popular idea.
I am interested in what the consequences will be with the film capital of America being in the south. Both for films and for the south itself.

Well one place people seems to forget is Georgia. It seems to be a cheap place to film in also people call Atlanta the new Hollywood so perhaps on an alternate timeline Atlanta is Hollywood.
So Florida seems to be a popular idea.
I am interested in what the consequences will be with the film capital of America being in the south. Both for films and for the south itself.
I don't know how it would change films per say but perhaps places in the south especially like the deep south such as Mississippi might not be as impoverished as they are now.

Deleted member 143718

I made an alternate reality where Hollywood – known in that TL as Filmdom City (I'll think of another name if need-be) and its located where modern-day Atlanta is. But is Florida the better choice or no? (Just like to hear outsider opinions).

Additionally, is there any analogues for film studios anyone can think of for Fox, Disney, Warner Bros., Paramount, and Universal? (I just made Sony – both Columbia Pictures and TriStar Pictures – simply Screen Gems.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 143718

Well one place people seems to forget is Georgia. It seems to be a cheap place to film in also people call Atlanta the new Hollywood so perhaps on an alternate timeline Atlanta is Hollywood.

I don't know how it would change films per say but perhaps places in the south especially like the deep south such as Mississippi might not be as impoverished as they are now.
Not a bad idea…

Deleted member 143718

Really? Is there somewhere I can see this? I tried looking on the internet, but found nothing of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.