America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

I wonder how Bill Clinton and Bernie Sanders are faring in this timeline
Bill Clinton would still be in the Democrats if now more viewed closer to the right due to the shift of the overton window.

Bernie Sanders becoming mayor of Burlington still happens

Autumn 1987- Udall For Three
Autumn 1987- Udall For Three

PatriciaWald.jpg

Portrait of third Supreme Court Judge placed by Udall; Patricia Wald

President Mo Udall would quite the opportunity for shaping the Supreme Court with the announcement of the retirement of Lewis F Powell, Jr from the Supreme Court, many likely citing of his age, but also potentially influenced in his regret over his decision in the earlier sodomy case. As such, the Udall administration would go back and look through the list of choices and one in particular that stood out was Patricia Wald. Raised mainly by her mother and extended family who were union members, she had a Roman Catholic upbringing and worked in brass mills as a teenager during the summers. Due to her involvement in the labor movement and union work, she went to law school to help protect underprivileged, working class people and would keep rising. She would even manage to manage to get in the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit back in 1981 as one of Udall's first actions, her being the first woman to be appointed to the District of Columbia Circuit and was also the first woman to serve as its chief judge. [1] Unsurprisingly with her prominent workforce bond, she would go and make it through the House and Senate, with Patricia Wald taking the place of Powell Jr in the Supreme Court. Many wonder what the future would hold, given how two Supreme Court justices have indicated their own potential upcoming retirements within the next few years.

Meanwhile, autumn would begin seeing the rise of many people beginning to declare their desires to run for presidency. For the Democrats, unsurprisingly Reubin Askew would run for the candidacy of the Democrats. He notes that his time in the Udall Administration has helped him decide in what he wanted to do along with the reforms he wished to make, with his goals being more toward maintaining Udall's work, but also increased political openness and tackling some of the problems within the federal system. He would be challenged by certain candidates such as Al Gore and Jesse Jackson, the former trying to portray as a moderate and the latter more for the need of representation, though would be hamstrung for certain past comments. However, it would be the Republican primaries that would be much more fascinating. Bob Dole would run for the candidacy, trying to present as a middle ground between the Liberal Republicans and the remnants of Reagan and Nixon supporters. Another nig name was John B. Anderson, claiming that it would be needed to try and move forward with the party. Others included Jack Kemp and Alexander Meigs Haig Jr running for the GOP candidacy. Many are curious to see where everything would go.

While all of these events were happening, moreso was buzzing about in the news. Pope John Paull II would go over to the United States, specifcially over in Los Angeles and San Francisco to promote peace and prosperity along with speaking to the local leader of the entertainment industry. [2] Over in Brașov, Romania,many of the workers rebel against the regime of Nicolae Ceaușescu. Though the Brașov Rebellion did not directly lead to revolution, it dealt a serious blow to the Ceaușescu regime, and its confidence in the trade unions and underscored the growing discontent among workers against the Ceaușescu regime. [3] Various storms and troubles was leading the case for people to get involved to help, especially in the background of the Afghan-Pakistani War, which would see Afghanistan and their ally in India starting gaining more ground over on Pakistan, as the nation is sandwiched between the India's greater numers, Afghanistan going full-out guerilla fighting while trying to win over their Pashtun brethren over in Pakistan, all with the growing grasp of the military dictatorship going on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Wald
[2]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987
[3]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brașov_rebellion

Anything addressing zoning or housing inequality?
Well, with the introduction of federal LVTs, we’re probably gonna see the earlier removal of restrictions regarding SFVs and see the return of duplexes and townhouses, especially when local culture starts influencing it and whatnot.

Well, sorta. Reagan was president, just 4 years earlier so that could be fit in somehow
I’ll be honest, this is off topic, but I think since BTTF is one of my favourite movies, it has kinda influenced me how I make presidents lists. Specifically to get somebody who was famous in 1955 into the presidency by 1985, even if they are not Ronald Reagan the actor.

I’ll be honest, this is off topic, but I think since BTTF is one of my favourite movies, it has kinda influenced me how I make presidents lists. Specifically to get somebody who was famous in 1955 into the presidency by 1985, even if they are not Ronald Reagan the actor.
Ummm okay?

Don't know if I missed it but was Ghostbusters made? I've always thought it was very appropriate of Reagan's 80s and I'd assume it would be an unfortunate casualty of a Liberal '80s. To pull from the wiki article:
Wikipedia said:
Analysts point to the premise of a small private business obstructed by an arrogant, incompetent bureaucrat (Walter Peck) from a government agency. Peck's interference compromises the Ghostbusters' ghost containment unit, unleashing spirits upon the city and ushering in Gozer's arrival.[152][153] When Peck arrives to shutter the Ghostbusters, Egon affirms "this is private property".[154] In this sense, it is Peck, not Gozer, who represents the film's true villain.[153][154] Others note that after losing their university jobs, Aykroyd's character is upset because their public sector funding required little of them. He had worked in the private sector where "they expect results".
Wikipedia said:
The Washington Examiner wrote that the private sector arrives to combat the supernatural activity in New York, for a fee, while the government is incapable of doing anything.[154][156] As Vox notes, the mayor, a government representative, is motivated to release the Ghostbusters after being reminded that their success will save the lives of "millions of registered voters", a cynical view of an official who is motivated by what allows him to retain his position.[152] The mayor's choice is ideological: the privatized free market of the Ghostbusters or the government agency Peck represents.[157] Even the police are forced to take Louis/Vinz to the Ghostbusters because they are incapable of dealing with him.[156] Author Ralph Clare highlights that the Ghostbusters reside in a disused firehouse and drive an old ambulance, each sold off as public services fail.[158] Corcos suggests the Ghostbusters are an example of the American free-thinker, representing vigilantes fighting against government overreach that is worsening the issue.[159]
Doesn't quite seem appropriate for this much more government friendly '80s, and given the "conservative-slash-libertarian" leaning of the director its nigh-impossible we see a recognisable version of the film without these neoliberal elements.

Don't know if I missed it but was Ghostbusters made? I've always thought it was very appropriate of Reagan's 80s and I'd assume it would be an unfortunate casualty of a Liberal '80s. To pull from the wiki article:

Doesn't quite seem appropriate for this much more government friendly '80s, and given the "conservative-slash-libertarian" leaning of the director its nigh-impossible we see a recognisable version of the film without these neoliberal elements.
Yes, Ghostbusters was still made. It’s an action comedy about hunting ghosts, including one who is a giant marshmallow mascot for goodness’ sake.

The idea was Aykroyd’s and written by him and Ramis. The business slant was by the director, who’s the source of the Libertarian stuff. I mean, we’ve had films that have aged odd, and this would be one.

One with its own consequences

Last edited: