John Glenn doesn't fall over in the bathtub.

When he had his accident in 1964, Glenn was in the middle of running for the Senate, but WI he hadn't had it and been elected? Might he have found himself picked four years lateras Humphrey's running-mate. Given his popularity it mght well have tipped the election. No disrespect to Senator Muskie, but he didn't have Glenn's natioal prominence. And where might things go from there?

Humphrey's running-mate. Given his popularity it mght well have tipped the election.
Since 1968 was a very close election anyway, I think this does tip the scales.

Nothing is going to stop the slow erosion of manufacturing jobs. But Humphrey might be able to bend the curve as far as replacing these with other mid- to well-paying jobs.

And then there’s the Supreme Court. Nixon got four — repeat 4 — appointments his first term. With Humphrey in the White House, the Court might become even more liberal. Maybe Potter Stewart and Byron White are the only moderates, semi-conservatives left! :openedeyewink:

I hope Humphrey would reach across and appoint one or two Republicans and strive for moderates.

Ideally, I’d like to see the Court with at least 3 moderate swing votes. And in peak performance, maybe even 5.

Last edited: