Whe should Arthur marry?

• Eleanor of Austria (b. 1498)

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Isabel of Austria (b. 1501)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Isabel of Portugual (b. 1503)

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Other (please write in who and I'll add)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Beatrice of Portugal (1504)

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Plese let him have only daughters.
Unfortunately, I don't think that would happen. I read Violet's Tudor stories for years, ever since I found her on FF.net. So far in her stories(except for the story where his surviving younger brother succeeded him as King of England), Henry VIII always had at least one son, whatever he was king or not, if I remember correctly.

Oh, and to anyone else, don't bother to go to FF.net and search for Violet's Tudor stories there. They aren't on there anymore. After short time, she removed her stories from FF.net and moved over to AO3, where she remains to this day.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't think that would happen. I read Violet's Tudor stories for years, ever since I found her on FF.net. So far in her stories, Henry VIII always had at least one son, whatever he was king or not, if I remember correctly.

Oh, and to anyone else, don't bother to go to FF.net and search for Violet's Tudor stories there. They aren't on there anymore. After short time, she removed her stories from FF.net and moved over to AO3, where she remains to this day.
Can you tell me the name of one of her stories in AO3?

Can you tell me the name of one of her stories in AO3?
Long Live the King. In this one, Prince Arthur, along with other four princes(KOA's older brother is one of them), lives past their OTL death date. Henry in this one is not yet married, mainly because of his age in most recent chapter of the story.

Last edited:
Long Live the King. In this one, Prince Arthur, along with other four princes(KOA's older brother is one of them), lives past their OTL death date. Henry in this one is not yet married, mainly because of his age in most recent chapter of the story.
Thank you! I read this story. The last I remembere is that Catherine and Arthur have two daughters and Juana died in 1502.

1515-1516
After the War of the League of Cambrai, there was a tentative peace throughout Europe. It would not last long.

In 1515, King Louis XII died of gout, leaving his twelve-year-old son as king, Almost immediately, his regent and heir, Duke Francois made sure to consolidate his power by affirming his wife's rights as Duchess of Brittany. He wrote to King James, suggesting a match with Prince Arthur and his sister-in-law, Princess Renee. He then petitioned for the marriage betrothal between the new King Louis XIII and Eleanor of Austria to be annulled. Rumors swirled that he wanted the new king to marry Madeleine de La Tour d'Auvergne so France could reclaim the lands taken by the Lion of York.

King Philip of Castile and Duke Henry were equally appalled by the overreach of the French regent, both promising retribution if he continued with his plan. Tensions continued to boil over the months especially when the Duchess of York announced her pregnancy. Henry was overjoyed, pleased that he would soon have a son. Meanwhile as he sought another bridegroom for his eldest daughter, King Philip, alongside Emperor Maximilian, arranged a double wedding between his eldest son Charles and Anne of Hungary and Bohemia alongside his daughter Maria and Crown Prince Louis of Hungary and Bohemia.

It was during this time that Eleanor became acquainted with Count Fredrick, the fourth son of the Elector Palatine. It was said that the young count comforted the infanta over France's plot to break her betrothal. Rumors swirled around them, although King Philip had them both swear publicly that nothing untowed had happened between them. He sent Eleanor to Burgundy where she would be watched by her paternal aunt, Margaret who had some great sympathy for her niece, having gone through a similar situation with the late King Charles VIII.

Meanwhile, Katherine did not give a fig who the King of France married (although she was outraged on her niece's behalf), instead she focused on someone far more important, the marriage between Arthur and Isabel of Portugal. While a wedding of proxy would happen once Arthur turned sixteen, Isabel would not come to England until Arthur was eighteen. Katherine arranged for Margaret Pole to act as Isabel's duenna, wanting her to be prepared for the English court.

A year after the death of his French rival, King Fernando passed away. Neither Philip nor Juana mourned for him, instead riding to Aragon immediately to ensure that no one tried to take the crown from them. While popular fiction has Philip and Juana being joyous at the death of the overbearing Fernando, in truth they acted quite somber, treating their hasty movements such as removing Fernando's favorites from office as a grim necessity. They declared their son, Charles, as Prince of Asturias and Girona. Wanting to ensure that they kept their treaty with Portugal, they offered their second daughter, Infanta Isabel for the Crown Prince John.

For months, Duke Henry was crowing to everyone would could hear him that he would soon have a bouncing baby boy. He even debated what he would name his son, Arthur, Henry or Edward. But in February of 1515, Duchess Anne birthed a healthy girl. Thankfully, despite being thrown, Henry was overjoyed at having a daughter, proclaiming she would be named after his favorite sister, who was due to birth her first child in March. Henry and Anne were absolutely smitten with their daughter, but Henry was adament that the only way to safeguard his lands from the French was to have a son. He also feared what might happen should King Arthur be unable to conceive.

Shockingly he mentioned this to the Dowager Princess Katherine. Even more shockingly she did not take offense. Although Katherine was certain her son would have plenty of healthy children with Infanta Isabel, she knew that Arthur could die prematurely like his father. For the first time in years, Katherine and Henry were on the same page and drew up an act of succession. It would go from Arthur, his issue, Henry, his issue, and then Margaret, her Scottish children and lastly Mary and her children.

Margaret of course fumed that her son was placed behind Henry's daughter, wondering if there was anything her brother and her sister-in-law would not do to insult her family. She wrote to her mother, begging her to intervene on her grandson's behalf. Elizabeth of York wrote back a sharp letter that she would not speculate on matters that would only come about if a great tragedy happened.

Queen Mary of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden had really no opinion of such matters, instead focusing on being a new mother to her son, Prince Hans. She did however write to the two Arthurs, consoling them to allow the adult's petty squabbles affect them.

Meanwhile in France, after a year of negotiations, Duke Francois finally came to an agreement with Pope Leo with the Concordat of Bologna. Part of the agreement was the annulment of the betrothal between King Louis and Infanta Eleanor. No sooner had he accomplished that, did Francois announce the future marriage of Louis and Madeleine de La Tour d'Auvergne.

Last edited:
Sounds like the war hounds are about to be unleashed since France’s King is too you to govern.

Lots of ways this could go yet though.

@Violet Rose Lily Francis is truly the worst. For the life of me i CAN never stand him!

And yay! Philip and Juana united spain!
Francois might not be king, but he is wielding his power like he was. As for Philip and Juana, their marriage is going to actually get less rocky.
Sounds like the war hounds are about to be unleashed since France’s King is too you to govern.

Lots of ways this could go yet though.
That's right. The Italian war of the 1520s will be starting a bit earlier.

For months, Duke Henry was crowing to everyone would could hear him that he would soon have a bouncing baby boy. He even debated what he would name his son, Arthur, Henry or Edward. But in February of 1515, Duchess Anne birthed a healthy girl. Thankfully, despite being thrown, Henry was overjoyed at having a daughter, proclaiming she would be named after his favorite sister, who was due to birth her first child in March. Henry and Anne were absolutely smitten with their daughter, but Henry was adament that the only way to safeguard his lands from the French was to have a son. He also feared what might happen should King Arthur be unable to conceive.
Can't wait to see what happens with Mary of York!

As for Philip and Juana, their marriage is going to actually get less rocky.
Make's sense, Ferdinand was most of their problems.

As for Philip and Juana, their marriage is going to actually get less rocky.
That's good to know. Juana deserves better than what she got in OTL; of course, her father didn't help the matters at all. At least, this means that Charles V will have more time as the heir than OTL. He, IIRC, was barely in his late teens when he became King of Spain in 1516 and then Holy Roman Emperor in 1519 OTL. It is quite a miracle that he didn't went mad by the time he gave up both of those titles in 1556.

Last edited:
They'd want him making babies ASAP. Maybe fifteen or sixteen? Wasn't that the age OTL Prince Arthur was when he married Katherine of Aragon?
Arthur was 15, Katherine was 16, if I recall correctly...
Rumors swirled that he wanted the new king to marry Madeleine de La Tour d'Auvergne so France could reclaim the lands taken by the Lion of York.
Would Anne's line not, you know, be senior?

1517-1519
King Philip was of course outraged by the snub of his daughter. He swore up and down that he would make no more treaties with the French for this was the second time they dared throw away a worthy Hapsburg princess. But Philip did not dwell on the insult for long, feeling he had much more important matters to attend to. His father's health was declining which meant there would be a new emperor by the next decade.

Philip had been spending the better part of the year traveling from Madrid to Sicily to Antwerp and to Vienna. In a letter to his sister, he noted he already felt as if he was being pulled in four different directions and he wasn't even emperor yet. "My only comfort is knowing that Castile and Aragon are in capable hands. Once she was the bane of my existence and now she is my rock."

Although Juana remained in Spain, unwilling to give anyone a chance to usurp her power, she and Philip exchanged hundreds of letters. Their conversations ranged from cursing the French regent's name, praising their clever sisters, lamenting finding a husband for their eldest daughter, and their inheritances. It was during one of their correspondences that they discussed splitting their inheritance between their three sons. While Charles would obviously gain Spain, his youngest brother John would become the Duke of Burgundy. Their middle son, Ferdinand, would be made Viceroy of Sicily and Naples, and possibly be Philip's successor as Holy Roman Emperor.

Meanwhile, Duke Henry was hungry for more war, suspecting rightfully that the minute Louis and Madeline were wed, her claim to Duchy of Auvergne would be pressed. The fact that Anne was the elder sister would not matter to men like Duke Francois, not when it meant leaving lands in England's hands. Henry had the Earl of Lincoln acting as his regent and sent him money to fortify his lands and pay for merecinaries to protect them from a French attack.

Tensions in the English court were raising high. King Arthur was inching closer to his eigteenth birthday and was getting a little tired of not being able to rule in his own right. He even tried to convince his mother to step down as regent, declaring him ready to rule. When Katherine insisted that they follow his grandfather's will, he grew annoyed and accused her of being power hungary. Duke Henry, who argued with Katherine almost every day, was inceased and gave his nephew a tongue lashing, demanding he show more respect to the woman who fought tooth and nail to keep his throne safe.

Elizabeth sent a letter, suggesting that while Katherine and Henry continued to act as regents, Arthur could have a seat on the council. Henry and Katherine decided to create a new position called Lord President of the Privy council for him. Arthur accepted the postion with grace and reconciled with his mother who admitted she didn't want to burden him, still seeing him as the baby in her arms, small and vulnerable. "I've grown since then, Mother," Arthur was said to have replied. "I'm taller than Uncle Henry now." The Duke of York's glower was said to be almost leathal.

Just when things calmed down, Katherine's lady, Bessie Blount approuched her mistress with scandelous news: She was pregant with the king's baby. Katherine was furious, she approuched her son in a fury, asking him what he had been thinking. This also led to an argument between Henry and Arthur, as he had been courting Bess Blount in hopes of making her his mistress. She had not been receptive of his advances: learning this was because his nephew had gotten to her first was a blow to his ego.

Arthur reminded his mother that he was not a boy anymore and she needed to stop treating him like one. To his uncle, he very cooly reminded him that perhaps he should be more focused on his pregnant wife. As for Bessie, Arthur arranged for her to marry one of his grooms, promising to pay for the child's upbringing. He then wrote a very apolegetic letter to Portugal.

In 1519, Europe dissolved into chaos. Emperor Maximilian died and King Louis married Madeline de la Tour. Soon afterwards, Duke Francois and King Henri Navarre declared war, looking to reconquer their lost lands. Before Henry could rush off to war, his wife gave birth to their second child, another daugher. Henry was noticibly less excited about than he was about Mary. He declared that she would be named Catherine after the queen consort England should have had (whose queen she should have been, he did not specifiy).

Last edited: