Basically the title, I know some will probably frown at the fact that this account is only about 6 months old and that my first message with it was only today, but I have been lurking on these forms since 2019 or so, and while I know that’s also a short amount of time, I think I have what is needed to write a timeline, I am a writer at heart and do love history.

But enough about me, the idea of a French-Scottish union through the marriage and survival of Queen Mary I Stuart of Scotland and King Francis II Valois-Angoulême of France and the consequences on France, the British Isles, Ireland and the wider world have always intrigued me. I want to write it in a first person perspective from various characters from history with perhaps some imagined characters for flavour.

However, I know I do not have the knowledge that others who are much my elder have. So I would love your thoughts and advice, and if you could answer any questions I may have, and do please forgive me if I am ignorant about something, I am very excited about trying this and may lose myself.

But some basic things I have in mind for the timeline:

Would begin on the 24th April 1558, the day of the wedding between Mary and Francis.

The eventual defeat or settlement of the Protestant Lords of the Congregation due to increased French presence in Scotland before the Tumult of Amboise that would lead to more Catholic Scotland (perhaps through more instability in England after the ascent of Elizabeth meaning less English supports to the Congregation and something the French wanted to take advantage by preparing an invasion of England through Scotland that was then waylaid when instability hits France).

After such things, I would say it’s somewhat free game what would happen, I have a general idea, but do not want to reveal the full plot. I do also wish to incorporate an almost chance system on results to add some “spice” and give me some challenge, perhaps having results like illness or battles be decided partially by dice or something to add some randomness.

Regardless, please share your thoughts and feelings about this, and feel completely free to tell me my idea is bonkers and not worth going through. But I do want to do this, and I know I’ll need help to do it, so... thanks, and hope to read some replies soon.

Also tell me if this has already been done, and if I’m just straight up copying someone else accidentally.

Chapter 1: Ascent
Chapter 1: Ascent

Notre-Dame Cathedral, Paris, Kingdom of France
24 April 1558

F177324B-68F0-4769-A0A2-2C736CA2DC48.png
Doe and brown eyed, the Queen of Scotland was led in procession, her soft gloved hands found themselves entertwined by her uncle, the Duke of Guise, while surrounding her, her dearest friends, Mary Beaton, Seton, Flemish and Livingston held their eyes downwards as colours of blue, red and yellow fell above them from the galleries of this beautiful Notre-Dame.

She was nervous, and who could blame her in this instance? All eyes were on her, most with smiles, yet some with suspicion, memories of the Queen crept but she set those away, this was her day. And this day she was feeling faint, they had tightened her corset too much, deep breaths now, she was about to fulfil what her mother had wanted, she was to marry her Francis.

Another, jolt of nerves, like lightning accompanied by thunder. Her eyes finally left the limestone of the floor, for a glance upwards, there he was, staring right through her veil, those blue that she had known since she was a child, she blushed an unconscious and unwanted red, as her eyes dropped down to the limestone floor.

She remembered when they were just children at Château de Saint-Germain-en-Laye, when they had met after she had left Scotland, there was no awkwardness in those blue eyes, nay, they had been the closest of friends, even the spectre of marriage had not broken those feelings.

"Why are you so tall?"

He had asked, what could she have said in response?

"Why are you so short?"

She knew that she should not have asked him that, even back then she had realised this boy was to be her husband, yet she was and always had been a wilful girl.

Her uncle's practiced motions ending, followed by her friends filing away from the isle, startled her more than she cared to admit. Barely catching herself on her dress before she fell and made a fool of herself in front of all the nobles and ladies of France. Her thoughts of summer days long past had carried her to the alter where her other uncle, the Archbishop-Cardinal of Reims stood, the Duke of Chevreuse with an encouraging smile on his face, as the Duke of Guise led her to stand opposite, the man she held much affection for.

Dauphin Francis de Valois-Angoulême, Dauphin of Viennois, Duke of Britanny and of course, future King of France. He tried to remain serious, but she could tell that he was nervous, caressing his blacken locks as she wanted to do with her flaming red.

Her ducal uncle left their podium, as she felt her knees fall unto the carpetted ground, Francis had done the same, for now with all the eyes of the world staring them from behind, they would become husband and wife. Her eyes only looked to her Cardinal uncle now, wiped now was the smile, for now he was serene as only a man of God could be, as he stared off at the audience of hundreds behind her.

"Dearly beloved, you have come together into the house of the Church so that in the presence of the Church’s minister and the community your intention to enter into Marriage may be strengthened by the Lord with a sacred seal. Christ abundantly blesses the love that binds you. Through a special Sacrament, he enriches and strengthens those he has already consecrated by Holy Baptism, may your love be enriched with his blessing you, so that you may have strength to be faithful to each other for ever and assume all the responsibilities of married life. And so, in the presence of the Church, I ask you to state your intentions."

His eyes found themselves down onto them, the heir to France, and the Queen of Scotland.

"Mary of Stuart and Francis of France, have you come here to enter into Marriage without coercion, freely and wholeheartedly?"

"I do."

"I do."

She was surprised that the nerves seemed to flutter away, her soft voice meeting with Francis' to produce such a sweet melody.

"Are you prepared, as you follow the path of Marriage, to love and honor each other for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"I do."

"Are you prepared to accept children lovingly from God and to bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?"

She blushed at this, no matter how much she had prepared to hear these words, hearing them from her uncle, in front of a crowd of so many, in front of the man she would marry, cherish and love...

"I do."

"I do."

"Since it is your intention to enter the covenant of Holy Matrimony, join your right hands, and declare your consent before God and his Church."

She heard Francis rising from his knees, it was time for their vows, the Cathederal sat so silent now, it was serene and peaceful, and it was for her. Her hands found themselves to the edge of her dress, holding them tight as she rose from her knees, light brown meeting sapphire blue. His hands offered to her, an offer taken by her own.

"I, Francis of France, take you, Mary of Stuart, to be my wife. I promise to be faithful to you, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love you and to honor you all the days of my life."

Her heart stopped, she knew he was doing his duty, yet what woman she wondered, could have not felt something, deep within their chest at such a proclamation. She breathed in a deep breath, never leaving his eyes, which only whispered encouragement.

"I, Mary of Stuart, take you, Francis of France, to be my husband. I promise to be faithful to you, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love you and to honor you all the days of my life."

She hoped she had not stuttered through such a holy statement, yet she felt the knot in her stomach, as her Francis, her Francis, gave her a smile that seemed to flush all feeling of worry away.

"With such, I declare that in the eyes of God and the Church, Mary of Stuart and Francis of France married, that Mary be Dauphine of Viennois and Duchess of Brittany, that Francis be King-Consort of Scotland."

A roar of cheers and claps broke from the galleries and seats of the cathederal. Scotland and France joined in permanent union, as one. She saw the smiling faces of her friends, the smiles of her uncles, the smiles of her father-in-law, King Henry, she even saw the begrugding smile of her mother-in-law, the Queen Catherine. As her eyes met Francis', she knew tonight, they too would be one, what could possibly break this moment?

Last edited:
I mean it’s your timeline, it’s all up to you. You could weaken it further by having Knox die in a horse riding incident, or getting caught up in some scandal due to butterflies.

God that would be funny, definitely an option, though I think it would remove a lot of the tension.

I doubt she would, I don’t think Philip was that popular in England, she’s more likely to marry local, so either Robert Dudley or Robert Devereaux.

This is indeed true, however not sure how marrying locally would look considering the encirclement that is happening before our eyes haha.

Also thoughts on the chapter?

Also if you guys have any suggestions for POVs or want me to showcase what is happening at a certain place, do tell, because I pump these out as I get ideas haha.

God that would be funny, definitely an option, though I think it would remove a lot of the tension.
Indeed, especially if it involves adultery (which IIRC he accused Mary of in OTL).
This is indeed true, however not sure how marrying locally would look considering the encirclement that is happening before our eyes haha.
Maybe the Swedish King then?
Also thoughts on the chapter?
Excellent start! Hopefully Mary's baby is okay, she deserves better then what she got in OTL.

Indeed, especially if it involves adultery (which IIRC he accused Mary of in OTL).

Oh you definitely are tempting me, especially since I do not like Knox lol.

Maybe the Swedish King then?

That is a potential route, I'll have to do a lot of thinking and maybe even talk to someone, your DMs free?

Excellent start! Hopefully Mary's baby is okay, she deserves better then what she got in OTL.

Definitely, though at this point, I am still somewhat worried about my ability to write Francis II, since I am butterflying away any of his potential fertility issues, but not really sure how to write him, he was descibed as both physically and psychologically weak, so not sure how to get him out of that boat to at least be strong-willed.

That is a potential route, I'll have to do a lot of thinking and maybe even talk to someone, your DMs free?
Feel free to PM me then.
Definitely, though at this point, I am still somewhat worried about my ability to write Francis II, since I am butterflying away any of his potential fertility issues, but not really sure how to write him, he was descibed as both physically and psychologically weak, so not sure how to get him out of that boat to at least be strong-willed.
I mean, maybe Mary could adopt a power behind the throne position?

Landowners and Nobility of France in 1558 for Reference

Prince of Condé - Prince Louis de Bourbon
Prince of Joinville - Duke Francis II de Guise

Duke of Brittany - Royal Control, Grantable
Duke of Anjou - Royal Control, Grantable (Probably to Prince Henry and then Prince Hercule as OTL)
Duke of Bourbon - Royal Control, Grantable (Probably to Prince Henry as OTL)
Duke of Maine - Royal Control, Grantable
Duke of Normandy - Royal Control, Grantable
Duke of Auvergne - Royal Control, Grantable
Duke of Touraine - Royal Control, Grantable (Probably to Prince Hercule as OTL)
Duke of Alencon - Royal Control, Grantable (Probably to Prince Hercule as OTL)
Duke of Perche - Royal Control, Grantable (Probably to Prince Hercule as OTL)
Duke of Mercœur - Royal Control, Grantable
Duke of Mayenne - Royal Control, Grantable
Duke of Joyeuse - Royal Control, Grantable
Duke of Piney - Royal Control, Grantable
Duke of Burgundy - Titular, Grantable

Duke of Aquitaine - Dauphin Henri de Valois
Duke of Vendome - King Antoine de Bourbon of Navarre
Duke of Angoulême - Prince Henry
Duke of Orleans - Prince Charles
Duke of Nevers - Duke Francois I de La Mark
Duke of Rethel - Duke Francois I de La Mark
Duke of Nemours - Duke Jacques de Savoy
Duke of Châtellerault - Duke James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Arran
Duke of Guise - Duke Francis II de Guise
Duke of Aumale - Duke Claude de Guise
Duke of Montmorency - Duke Anne de Montmorency
Duke of Longueville - Duke Leonor de Orleans
Duke of Estouteville - Duke Leonor de Orleans
Duke of Uzes - Duke Antoine de Crussol
Duchess of Albert - Queen Jeanne de Albert of Navarre
Duchess of Étampes - Duchess Diane de Poitiers
Duchess of Valentinois - Duchess Dianne de Poitiers
Duchess of Chartres - Duchess Renee of France (Also Duchess-Consort of Ferrara, Modena and Reggio)
Duchess of Valois - Princess Margaret of Valois
Duchess of Berry - Duchess Margaret of Valois (Married to Duke of Savoy)
Duchess of Montpensier - Duchess Louise de Bourbon

Count of Poiters - Royal Control, Grantable
Count of La Marche - Royal Control, Grantable (Bourbons have a connection to it)
Count of Évreux - Royal Control, Grantable (Probably to Prince Hercule as OTL)
Count of Blois - Royal Control, Grantable
Count of Mâcon - Royal Control, Grantable
Count of Meulan - Royal Control, Grantable (Probably to Prince Hercule as OTL)
Count of Clermont - Royal Control, Grantable
Count of Ponthieu - Royal Control, Grantable
Count of Champagne - Royal Control, Grantable

Count of Soissons - Prince Louis de Bourbon
Count of Mortain - Count Louis de Bourbon (Related to the Montpensier Bourbons not the Conde Bourbons)
Count of Eu - Duke Francois I de La Mark
Count of Longueville - Duke Leonor de Orleans
Count of Penthièvre - Jean IV de Brosse
Count of Montbazon - Louis V de Rohan
Countess of Périgord - Queen Jeanne de Albert of Navarre
Countess of Foix - Queen Jeanne de Albert of Navarre
Countess of Dreux - Queen Jeanne de Albert of Navarre

Marquis of Elbeuf - Marquis Rene de Guise

Lord of Montpellier - Royal Control, Grantable
Lord of Coucy - Royal Control, Grantable

I know I am missing quite a few, if any of you have any ideas that would be very helpful. I guess I need to do something similar for Scotland and maybe England (fml).

Last edited: