I really like this.

And looking at the map you could probably end the Federal District at Logan Square with Race, 18th and Penn Ave as your boundaries at the southern end
A quick draft with the new Federal District of... Philadelphia? highlighted in red. Looking at it, it's a really tiny district, about 1.2 square kilometers, you could walk from end to another in about half an hour. Gonna be interesting finding places to place a Pentagon/War Department* building on top of all the cabinet and Senate buildings. What would be the Philadelphia Museum of Art OTL and the new Capital building in CDM is a closed down reservoir in 1915.

Of course, the federal largess will do wonders for Philadelphia's Liberal Machine... and in keeping the Keystone state in the Liberal Column.
6uC77eA.jpg

The United Farmers seem to have some interesting shadows of the NPL and how they operated (I wondered if this was a common strategy spoken about by populist on both sides of the border at the time)

Though we know Canada will remain more Conservative, nice to see the Prairie Populists active and able to have some influence!

I also wonder if Canadian and Upper Midwestern Populists will be in communication and Influencing one another throughout the 1920s
The UF actually would suit your oeuvre quite well, they did indeed exist IOTL and formed several provincial governments; they were the nucleus of what would be the short-lived Progressive Party of OTL, which eventually got absorbed by the Tories due to W.L. Mackenzie King's utter dominance atop the Liberals.

ITTL, at least, Crerar is heavily influenced by William Jennings Bryan; take that for what you will.
A quick draft with the new Federal District of... Philadelphia? highlighted in red. Looking at it, it's a really tiny district, about 1.2 square kilometers, you could walk from end to another in about half an hour. Gonna be interesting finding places to place a Pentagon/War Department* building on top of all the cabinet and Senate buildings. What would be the Philadelphia Museum of Art OTL and the new Capital building in CDM is a closed down reservoir in 1915.

Of course, the federal largess will do wonders for Philadelphia's Liberal Machine... and in keeping the Keystone state in the Liberal Column.
6uC77eA.jpg
That's a great map! Interesting to see what Philly/Camden looked like back then sans all the interstates...
Because if there's one thing the poor, put upon Liberals need is yet another structural advantage to keep them in power.
Certainly not in PA or especially Philly, their traditional fiefdom

6uC77eA.jpg
I mean, you could get really dark about it and do some significant "beautification" and slum clearances to build some new government buildings to give that planned city format like the former Washington, DC. After all, those poor immigrants aren't exactly voting Liberal any time soon. Hey, on a completely coincidental note, I wonder what Robert Moses is doing right now?

I mean, you could get really dark about it and do some significant "beautification" and slum clearances to build some new government buildings to give that planned city format like the former Washington, DC. After all, those poor immigrants aren't exactly voting Liberal any time soon. Hey, on a completely coincidental note, I wonder what Robert Moses is doing right now?
Oooh, its about time for that guy to show up.

TFW the Liberals ram a highway through an Irish neighborhood so Black commuters can get to work
He’ll have a role - him and Al Smith were quite tight after all

Honestly, they could let him have a crack at *either* DC or (more likely) Baltimore. Both cities will need *serious* rebuilding and losing previous neighborhoods probably isn't that much of an issue. Heck, he could turn all of DC on the Southeast side of the Anacostia into a University & Park setup and there might not be more than a handful of people who would object. I *think* Georgetown and the area north of it would still have been white, but after the invasion, who knows.

iTTL, I'm not sure if there is much of the C&O Canal locks and pathways *left*, so he could do the same thing all the way to the Potomac on the DC side beyond Georgetown and you might not have much of an objection.
And I do wonder how much of the land in Virginia outside the OTL Delmarva won't be some combination of Military Burialgrounds and parks.
Could we end up with *all* of the Virginia part of DC (OTL Arlington and part of Alexandria) turn into a Military Cemetary?

Reminder that the Senate Liberal leader is Boies Penrose, so there's definitely going to be a LOT of this.
TFW the Liberals ram a highway through an Irish neighborhood so Black commuters can get to work
*Looks into Ike's coffin*
Yep, he's spinning all right. Now, hook the generator up to him.

Certainly not in PA or especially Philly, their traditional fiefdom
Liberals got a lot of "traditional fiefdoms" in the Cincoverse. Funny how that works out.

Take New York. Conventional wisdom is that it is the ultimate swing state, but Team L has won five of the last seven Presidential races there, including the last two.

You know, it struck me a few days ago that the term "The Union" is going to stick around a lot longer in popular and political speech in the Cinqo-verse.

Though it continues to be used in terms such as "State of the Union" it rose in popularity during the Civil War to help differentiate the US and CS. With the end of the conflict, it faded from use (I believe. If I'm blowing smoke, please feel free to tell me).

Here, obviously with the Confederacy gaining its independence, there is a continued need to differentiate between the two. So it's likely much more ingrained in the popular consciousness, both internally and internationally, here.

Why bring this up? Well the thought struck me when I was trying to come up with a good BBC-equivalent for the US in my post a few days ago, and stumbled on Union Broadcasting Company.

Obviously, that was just thrown out there in a flippant post and I'm not trying sway our good author into accepting it (we don't even know if the US will have a BBC equivalent!).

But it did make me think that we probably would see "Union" in the name of American cultural and governmental institutions in the ATL. Especially as, unless Columbia has picked up steam (and I doubt it was),its the closest thing the US has a widely known poetic name. The Confederacy has "Dixie" after all, or maybe even "The South" (but I see that term as used mainly amongst disgruntled Americans who refuse to accept that the legality of Southern succession. Somewhat akin to referring to Northern Ireland as "The Counties" in certain circles). But the US? Nada: "America" isn't really a good poetic name - nor is it particularly useful as the word is in the name of both the USA and CSA.

So, to cut this rambling post off: 1) Is The Union a more accepted and popular name for the US here and 2) if it IS, has this or will this impact the naming of companies and institutions in the Cinqo-verse?

Reminder that the Senate Liberal leader is Boies Penrose, so there's definitely going to be a LOT of this.

*Looks into Ike's coffin*
Yep, he's spinning all right. Now, hook the generator up to him.
Astutely and correctly observed...
You know, it struck me a few days ago that the term "The Union" is going to stick around a lot longer in popular and political speech in the Cinqo-verse.

Though it continues to be used in terms such as "State of the Union" it rose in popularity during the Civil War to help differentiate the US and CS. With the end of the conflict, it faded from use (I believe. If I'm blowing smoke, please feel free to tell me).

Here, obviously with the Confederacy gaining its independence, there is a continued need to differentiate between the two. So it's likely much more ingrained in the popular consciousness, both internally and internationally, here.

Why bring this up? Well the thought struck me when I was trying to come up with a good BBC-equivalent for the US in my post a few days ago, and stumbled on Union Broadcasting Company.

Obviously, that was just thrown out there in a flippant post and I'm not trying sway our good author into accepting it (we don't even know if the US will have a BBC equivalent!).

But it did make me think that we probably would see "Union" in the name of American cultural and governmental institutions in the ATL. Especially as, unless Columbia has picked up steam (and I doubt it was),its the closest thing the US has a widely known poetic name. The Confederacy has "Dixie" after all, or maybe even "The South" (but I see that term as used mainly amongst disgruntled Americans who refuse to accept that the legality of Southern succession. Somewhat akin to referring to Northern Ireland as "The Counties" in certain circles). But the US? Nada: "America" isn't really a good poetic name - nor is it particularly useful as the word is in the name of both the USA and CSA.

So, to cut this rambling post off: 1) Is The Union a more accepted and popular name for the US here and 2) if it IS, has this or will this impact the naming of companies and institutions in the Cinqo-verse?
I do think the Union probably would be a more commonly used name for the US. As for the later, maybe? Though "Union" isn't an uncommon name for large corporations as it is (Union Oil, etc)

May Rebellion
"...porous borders. The northern and western peripheries of the Vietnamese region of Tonkin are mountainous and heavily forested, and for millennia the villages and, in some cases, tribes in those regions have cared not a whit where borders or frontiers were drawn by either the Kings in Annam, the Emperors in China, or by 1917 the colonial offices in European capitals. The Tonkinese were culturally distinct from China but Hanoi was home to among the largest Chinese communities outside of the Middle Kingdom, and unlike the increasingly Catholic Cochinchina, Tonkin's cultural and intellectual communion with China deepened as the power of the Kuomintang spread across Guangdong and Guangshi. Border checks existed mostly on paper, and French zouaves or sepoys stationed throughout Tonkin were notoriously open to bribes. The tinder, in other words, was extremely dry in Vietnam, and ready to be lit.

One thing that separated Vietnamese nationalist organizations from groups similar to the Kuomintang, however, was that they were not doggedly republican in nature and many moderates even envisioned a role for France in Vietnamese affairs not unlike Germany's longstanding close bilateral relationship with Siam (Germany's protectorate over Cambodia, while less harsh than French colonial rule in Indochina, was much more paternalist in nature). Phan Boi Chau was the movement's chief intellectual architect, having formed the revolutionary society Viet Nam Quang Phuc Hoi, which looked to the Katipunan of the Philippines as a direct inspiration, but the two most important figures by 1917 were not democratic republicans like Chau but rather Prince Cuong De, a close relative of the boy emperor Duy Tan, and Tran Cao Van, an influential mandarin who insinuated himself into the imperial inner circle in Hue and quickly established himself as the power behind the throne.

What separated the 1917 uprising from the more successful one a few years later was that France was externally at peace and, after the Ghadar Mutiny had shaken India, was attentively focused on its prize Asian possession. Van's network was riven through with spies who were more than happy to sell out the plotters, and French authorities had diligently reduced the sizes of weapons depots and cycled in well-known loyalists into crucial garrisons around Hanoi and Saigon. While the steady stream of Chinese mercenaries, financed with the opium trade through Haiphong, did not abet, there was some sense that Asia had become a much more dangerous neighborhood and France was more prepared than they may have been a few years earlier.

Nonetheless, the scope and breadth of the May Rebellion (a French name for the revolt) nonetheless caught them off-guard..."

- Our New Asia: Revolution and Retrenchment in the Early 20th Century Far East

"...firewires in the Hai Van Pass and the eruption of artillery bombardments of French positions around Hue signaled that the revolt was on, made official by the royal seal of Duy Tan that endorsed the putsch against the French authorities. Thousands of Vietnamese peasants flocked to the royal banner, ready to fight - already, the rebellion was considerably more legitimate and successful than what the Ghadar faction had pulled off in India two years earlier. Cuong De arrived by boat from Japan, which he admired as an ideological model for the future Vietnamese state, and was declared by his cousin the Emperor as Prime Minister once Duy Tan's evacuation from Hue was secure. Within the span of a few days in early May, not only had Hue fallen, but also strategically important towns on its periphery such as Quang Nam.

The May Rebellion being centered at Hue caused a number of issues right off the bat for the French. It essentially cut Vietnam in half, which theoretically was not a major problem due to French control of the seas thanks to their naval stations at Cam Ranh and Haiphong, but created a strategic opening for the rebels to park themselves astride the major north-south roads. There was also the symbolic factor of Hue, Vietnam's ancient imperial city, being the epicenter of the revolt; this was not some peasant uprising in the rice paddies of the Mekong Delta or the highlands of western Tonkin but the Emperor himself and his fairly sophisticated, French-designed bureaucracy calling for the expulsion of the French government entirely from Vietnamese lands.

As was tradition, the French administration in Vietnam was headed by a civilian, in this case Albert Sarraut, who had returned to the Orient just in January for a second spell as Governor-General. Sarraut was a talented bureaucrat and by the standards of French domestic politics a relative moderate; he admired Southeast Asian "native" art and promoted its enjoyment in the Metropole, but he was also a firm paternalist who viewed the education of the Vietnamese as a method not to improve their standing but rather to Frenchify them culturally and morally. The economy of Vietnam had grown substantially under his previous spell, but he was no military man; to that end, he called upon the Foreign Legion and its notorious Oriental commander, Paul-Frederic Rollet, to be deployed to put down the revolt.

Rollet's station of Saigon meant that he could march rapidly up the coast, which was considered necessary as the rebel forces were moving quickly to secure roads and telegraph cables in the vicinity of Da Nang, only eighty kilometers south along the shore from Hue. The port city fell to Duy Tan's army on May 17th, nine days after the revolt began, and suddenly the rebels could easily accept arms from overseas - with Chinese nationalist cells out of Canton and Hong Kong or Filipino and Japanese sympathizers thought of as the likeliest culprits.

On May 20, Sarraut's residence in Hanoi was attacked by a mob and he was forced to flee to a waiting French cruiser in Haiphong's harbor, and though the French garrison in Hanoi put down the riots and repelled an organized band of revolutionaries headed by Phan Boi Chau and the famed Tonkinese intellectual Nguyen Thuong Hien, it badly destabilized the situation. In the space of two weeks, France had been put badly on her back heels across central and northern Indochina - and it was certain that the world was watching..."

- The French Orient

"...irony of the eruption of the May Rebellion occurring just as the Ghadar Mutiny in India had been mostly put down, though the vast, ungovernable highlands north of Burma and east of India were seen in Paris as being the "Piedmont of Asian revolution" nonetheless, and more than a few at the Deuxieme Bureau were quick to suggest that Cantonese gangs closely affiliated with the Kuomintang had helped finance and arm Duy Tan's rebels.

Despite the ample evidence for the chief ideological support for Duy Tan's revolution stemming from Japanese and Chinese sources (with a dose of inspiration from Ghadarites and the Filipino republicans), Poincaré saw more sinister designs from, where else, Germany. Since 1904, when King Norodom had died, the German protectorate of Cambodia had been ruled by his successor Yukanthor, who took a militantly hard line against the Vietnamese generally and the French more specifically, convinced that French designs on Indochina had never fully ended even after the Bangkok Gunboat Crisis of 1892 and that France would eventually, in what he saw as an inevitable "confrontation" with Germany, seek to indulge Vietnam's historical claims over the Khmer. Siam, an ally of Germany rather than a vassal, had also never forgiven French saber-rattling over the Mekong Valley in 1892 and the forced territorial concessions that Siam had been asked to swallow in the subsequent Treaty of Madrid. Siam's king, Rama VI (personal name Vajiravudh), was perhaps not the titanic, Meiji-esque figure that his father had cut, but since coming to the throne in 1910 nonetheless aimed to continue pursuing his modernizing reforms and had decentralized, democratized and formalized much of the Siamese state without being too reliant on Western methods and theories, building broad popularity with his people even as he declined to promulgate a constitution.

The relationship between Berlin, Phnom Penh and Bangkok was cordial and close, but also complicated; Rama VI was not as instinctively trusting of the "Bavarians" as his father had been, while Yukanthor often chafed at Germany's foreign policy decrees and was horrified at the thought that Berlin might one day do to Cambodia the horrors it had visited upon Mindanao. In short, the idea that the May Rebellion was a plot hatched on the Wilhelmstrasse and carried out by Indochinese interlopers was nonsense. Nonetheless, Poincaré found the idea persuasive, at least in terms of what he coined as "silent support" - money, arms, and a quiet place for Vietnamese rebels such as Phan Boi Chau to hide in exile and map out their next steps, even after Germany denounced the May Rebellion in a diplomatic missive and pledged support for the French response to their "internal matter."

Indeed, the European reaction to Vietnam was one of horror, possibly even more so than what had occurred in Punjab over the previous two years - proportionately and in terms of direct threat to French control, it was the largest colonial revolt since the Spanish-Philippine War. French forces were to be rapidly gathered from across Africa and other parts of Asia and deployed immediately; and more than a few mercenaries from all over Europe and the Americas volunteered..."

- La Politique Mondiale: Poincaré, France and the Waltz of the Great Powers

I was sort of reminded of the more successful Yen Bai mutiby and resulting Indochinese War from A Day in July when reading this update.

mfw Cường Để managed to be born the exact same 40something years after the PoD

Still, it's nice to see Duy Tan's revolt has more traction than OTL and see where it goes...

I was sort of reminded of the more successful Yen Bai mutiby and resulting Indochinese War from A Day in July when reading this update.
Very kind to receive that comparison! The research @Zulfurium did for that update dwarfs anything I’ve done
mfw Cường Để managed to be born the exact same 40something years after the PoD

Still, it's nice to see Duy Tan's revolt has more traction than OTL and see where it goes...
There were a lot of reasons why his revolt failed in OTL, but here one of the biggest factors in potential success - French involvement in WW1 - of course isn’t present
@KingSweden24 ! Great work! hope you a happy new year!
Thanks you too!

Aimed to continue pursuing his modernizing reforms and had decentralized, democratized and formalized much of the Siamese state without being too reliant on Western methods and theories, building broad popularity with his people even as he declined to promulgate a constitution.
OTL, The military forced the King to promulgate a constitution in 1932. I bet in the TL, either a peaceful revolution or western influence will create the first constitution of Thailand.

Well looks Indochina has finally burst, I will this might sound a bit mean but I sort of hope Vietnam's history is altered perhaps mutual rebels/gangs and the drug trade mean the border with China never really closes and overtime becomes a bit hard to tell where one starts and the other ends.

This uprising may create a bit of a moral crises throughout the entire French empire, this revolt is led by the native colonial authorities France has already been noted to have a tension between assimilationist polices to justify and ''digest'' their empire and those wanting to avoid that with the people willing to assimilate being discriminated against and not getting the equality promised to them.

This is going to get far worse as they brutally crush this uprising or try to at least.