I see the West Coast being the financial and weapon source for the Indian Independence struggle.
Thinking about India made me realize, the UK and Russia being on the same side going into WWI was really the endpoint of the Great Game iOTL. iTTL, both will be sitting out the CEW, so the Great Game won't be ended. You could see UK/Russia skullduggery in Afghanistan (and probably Tibet with the problems the Chinese are having) well into the 20th Century.

Hmm. This TL could definitely see an independent Tibet, the question is do either the UK or Russia have the ability to bring it under their wing. (Also, the Russians could take OTL Northwest China (I can never remember how to spell that area) without much problem.

You know while I know this was meant to be focused on India, given it's implied future fate I just realized something.

Why not have the post CSA nations and states being a key region in the French/Indian/Chinese cartels?

It's very near to some of the richest states in the globe, the South in general needs money to rebuild, Mexico seems to be a harder border and it's not like the CSA is ever going to able to truly rebuild it's coast guard for decades and needing good relations with it's neighbor.

The foundations are beginning to form, weak states, a Indian rebel movement with figures close by looking for weapons and a USA that turns a blind eye to it and a old French presence.

Plus for the future reunifier of parts of the CSA being able to claim they would be tough on drugs might given them good PR in the states.

You know while I know this was meant to be focused on India, given it's implied future fate I just realized something.

Why not have the post CSA nations and states being a key region in the French/Indian/Chinese cartels?

Now I'm imagining a future American film: The Louisiana Connection. Wherein an American narcotics agent in St. Louis uncovers a conspiracy by a major Confederate drug baron to ship drugs into the US, up the Mississippi, from his personal feifdom on the outskirs of New Orleans.

Now I'm imagining a future American film: The Louisiana Connection. Wherein an American narcotics agent in St. Louis uncovers a conspiracy by a major Confederate drug baron to ship drugs into the US, up the Mississippi, from his personal feifdom on the outskirs of New Orleans.
Or a disaster movie where unless the heroes do something, the River flow of the Mississippi will divert into the Atchafalaya River so that the entrance to the Mississippi will no longer be at New Orleans. (If the Confederacy doesn't do the type of River control that the US did in OTL, that may happen naturally)

Also, as an idea, the Confederacy may not be able to charge the USA for using the river, but the Republic of Texas may not get the same deal. I could see a Red River/Sabine River canal iTTL. (The Sabine at least runs along the border between Texas and Louisiana.)

I'm sure *something* in the south didn't come out of racial animosity.... And when I find it, I'll let you know. :)
Seriously, with that, I'm wondering what happens to Marijuana in the United States and the Confederate States. I've heard various stories on whether the Tobacco industry helped with the banning of it, if so, the USA is more likely to allow it and the CSA less, but I'm not sure. (Would be interesting if the deliberate effort to ban/put high tarrifs prior to the war/reduction in availability of tobacco during the war led to greater use of Marijuana. (Getting things from a Farmer on the Maryland Eastern Shore of Delaware trying to decide whether to grow Tobacco or Marijuana could be fun. :) )

It's interesting, because much of the propaganda for marijuana prohibition centered around ... well, racial animosity again (ah, the reoccuring theme reemerges so soon!). It was linked to the Mexican-American community - to the point that they purposefully kept calling it 'marijuana' to make it sound foreign and sinister. At the time the more common American term was cannibas - as well as to the African-American community through their connection with Jazz, as well as anxieties caused by the Great Migration.

In this TL we have a massively different 1920s. A smaller Great Migraition is going to occur, but it won't be as large as in OTL. Also, its questionable whether Jazz even develops in the ATL Confederacy (you WILL see African-American music develop - and slavery, being slavery, I'm sure you see a number of slaveowning 'managers' promoting some musicians across the CSA. But the cultural and political stew that allowed for Jazz as we know it to come about, probably doesn't develop). Even if something related to Jazz comes about, it's unlikely to take the US and CS by storm as it did in OTL. Finally, there is a MUCH smaller Mexican-American community in the United States - so West Coast xenophobia is going to stay firmly focused on Asian-American communities and not on Latin Americans.

All of this doesn't mean that there won't be attempts to prohibit Marijuana in the ATL - I suspect that there still will be, for economic and as well as cultural reasons (this was the era of begininng to really regulate drugs after all - alcohol prohibition wasn't a blip, it was part of a wider movement). However, the justifications will be very different, and these may or may not have the same cultural resonance in the Union and the CS.

It's interesting, because much of the propaganda for marijuana prohibition centered around ... well, racial animosity again (ah, the reoccuring theme reemerges so soon!). It was linked to the Mexican-American community - to the point that they purposefully kept calling it 'marijuana' to make it sound foreign and sinister. At the time the more common American term was cannibas - as well as to the African-American community through their connection with Jazz, as well as anxieties caused by the Great Migration.

In this TL we have a massively different 1920s. A smaller Great Migraition is going to occur, but it won't be as large as in OTL. Also, its questionable whether Jazz even develops in the ATL Confederacy (you WILL see African-American music develop - and slavery, being slavery, I'm sure you see a number of slaveowning 'managers' promoting some musicians across the CSA. But the cultural and political stew that allowed for Jazz as we know it to come about, probably doesn't develop). Even if something related to Jazz comes about, it's unlikely to take the US and CS by storm as it did in OTL. Finally, there is a MUCH smaller Mexican-American community in the United States - so West Coast xenophobia is going to stay firmly focused on Asian-American communities and not on Latin Americans.

All of this doesn't mean that there won't be attempts to prohibit Marijuana in the ATL - I suspect that there still will be, for economic and as well as cultural reasons (this was the era of begininng to really regulate drugs after all - alcohol prohibition wasn't a blip, it was part of a wider movement). However, the justifications will be very different, and these may or may not have the same cultural resonance in the Union and the CS.
The primary anti-Marijuana effort (including the emphasis of the name "Marijuana" appears to have been spearheaded by Harry J. Anslinger ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger) who was the 1st Commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics from August 12, 1930 – August 17, 1962...

The primary anti-Marijuana effort (including the emphasis of the name "Marijuana" appears to have been spearheaded by Harry J. Anslinger ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger) who was the 1st Commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics from August 12, 1930 – August 17, 1962...

Yup! I've read that he - or close friends of his - were heavily invested in lumber for wood-pulp paper and were threatened by industrial hemp production. Though, once again, there's so much rumor and innuendo out there about marijuana prohibition that I'd want to do more research before I would say with any certainty that that is true.

But removing Anslinger one way or another would be wonders - though there's always a potential that someone else just takes his place. If one wanted to be cruel (and ironic) perhaps he survives the war, and ends up with a drinking and drug problem as a result. Maybe credits Cannibas for helping him deal with his PTSD and kicking the habit ;)

Much of the Southern Prohibitionist strength came from racial anomosity (shocker, I know). There were certainly religious and reformist tendencies to it, but a large part of its general strength seemed to flow out of fears of alcohol making the African-American popular harder to control (and, of course, be productive share croppers). This would have been less of an issue prior to the war where slavery was still the law of the land, and where alcohol might have had the opposite reputation (it kept the slaves happy and less likely to rebel - or so they thought). I suspect the Southron Prohibition gets a major boost post-war as an effort to strike rights away from freedmen and keep some level of control over them. This will be coupled with a regenerative argument about restoring the purity of Southern culture; because I had a terrible feeling that alcohalism is going to be RIFE amongst the veterans of the GAW.
Southern culture stem from something other than racial animus challenge

I see the West Coast being the financial and weapon source for the Indian Independence struggle.
Financially, absolutely. Weapons, yes, to an extent, especially after GAW ends and the continent is awash in guns
Thinking about India made me realize, the UK and Russia being on the same side going into WWI was really the endpoint of the Great Game iOTL. iTTL, both will be sitting out the CEW, so the Great Game won't be ended. You could see UK/Russia skullduggery in Afghanistan (and probably Tibet with the problems the Chinese are having) well into the 20th Century.

Hmm. This TL could definitely see an independent Tibet, the question is do either the UK or Russia have the ability to bring it under their wing. (Also, the Russians could take OTL Northwest China (I can never remember how to spell that area) without much problem.
Tibet will indeed remain free, so add that as another wrinkle. I'd imagine in Afghanistan the Pashtun probably align more with India due to Peshawar being right over the border while the Tajiks align more with the Russians, but I don't know that much about Afghan culture/history
You aren't wrong there, lots of what we'd call "self-medication" to deal with the horrors of the war.
Much of it coming from across the Pacific, if you follow...

It's very near to some of the richest states in the globe, the South in general needs money to rebuild, Mexico seems to be a harder border and it's not like the CSA is ever going to able to truly rebuild it's coast guard for decades and needing good relations with it's neighbor.

The foundations are beginning to form, weak states, a Indian rebel movement with figures close by looking for weapons and a USA that turns a blind eye to it and a old French presence.

Plus for the future reunifier of parts of the CSA being able to claim they would be tough on drugs might given them good PR in the states.
Reading my mind!
I’m personally keen on reading more on the developing pro-independence sentiments in Texas.
I have to figure out exactly how in 1916 to slot it in/time it, but yes, it's something I've neglected quite a bit in this new thread.
Seems easy enough to butterfly a bullet on the fields of central Pennsylvania or Middle Tennessee into felling the man
Would be a real shame if he died on the Susquehanna in 1913. A real shame...
Lol ninja'd

Said Sinophobic sentiment on the West Coast probably means that lighter attitudes towards pot do not extend towards opium, especially considering what a scourge that drug is going to remain ITTL

Southern culture stem from something other than racial animus challenge
Jesus that's a tough question. I'm not sure there's an answer, at least as far as anything major goes.
Said Sinophobic sentiment on the West Coast probably means that lighter attitudes towards pot do not extend towards opium, especially considering what a scourge that drug is going to remain ITTL
Wonder if that focus/emphasis butterflies away the opioid crisis we're going through now. I'm not positive it does but I can see a USA ITTL making a more concerted effort to better regulate or even outlaw opioids given their association. Tough to say though. Speaking of opioids, if you haven't seen "The Crime of the Century" on HBO Max it is worth checking out.

Would be a real shame if he died on the Susquehanna in 1913. A real shame...
A *lot* of his moves in the Narcotics field came from racism both against Mexicans *and* Blacks. It would be entirely possible that the war changes him on this. Though without Jazz, one of his focuses on in his work will be different.

Thinking about Languages of the World percentages spoken relative to OTL as of 2022.
I'm guessing Chinese is going to be a touch less given the disunity and lack of control in the West (though the idea of a dominant Cantonese speaking state isn't out of the question). English maybe a *touch* less due to the the lack of the hyper-dominant USA, (though if India doesn't take English as the unifying language, that *really* affects things (Esparanto or its equivalent). French a touch less (not sure which way Quebec would be relative to OTL). German a touch more with it not being stuffed back into its box as iOTL. The OTL split of Norwegian into Nynorsk and Bokmal is well after the POD and My *guess* is that the added Nationalism likely in this Norway probably lead Norway to be closer to Nynorsk (unless Denmark helps with its independence in which case, the reverse).

Reyes Putsch
"...Lascurain himself was surprised. The deal offered to Mexico by American negotiators was tangible and generous enough that Lascurain felt confident bringing it up in Cabinet. Louis Maximilian's agents on Lascurain's staff passed the information along to the heir, who quietly got together with the Spanish ambassador Santurce over cigars to verify, and the American State Department's preferred cutout was happy to inform the relieved prince that, yes, the offer was bonafide and that Spain was happy to broker the agreement if necessary, though obviously, due to American sentiments, not in Havana. This was the evening of October 16th.

On October 17th, Lascurain in a secret Cabinet meeting, presented the terms of the American offer to exit the war. The United States would accept an immediate and full peace with Mexico contingent upon the withdrawal of Mexican forces from the Confederate front lines and from Guatemala, where the Marines and Nicaraguan Army were starting to close in on Huerta's positions as much as the Mexican Army was. In return, Mexico would pay an indemnity of five hundred thousand dollars a year for the next five years, followed by a hundred thousand dollars a year for the next ten. This would end the indemnity by 1930 on a fairly advantageous schedule for Mexico, though the figures the United States was demanding was a hefty sum [1] that comprised a not insignificant amount of Mexico's annual budget. Crucially, these payments were due in gold, silver or mineral rights from oil, which was what the oil-thirsty industrial United States was really after. This was the second plank of the proposed treaty - Mexico's government would denationalize its economy after the 1913 shock, restore or repay seized American property, and re-allow American companies access to the band of oilfields stretching from north of Tampico to Veracruz, all while eliminating all tariffs on American imports for a period of thirty years.

This factor made the proposal hugely unpopular with the economic nationalists who had started the war, of course, even though many Cabinet officials - critically Reyes - were taken aback at how generous the offer was. The United States was demanding no territorial concessions, leaving Mexico's "holy soil" intact, apparently at the insistence of Lascurain, who had told American negotiators that there was no treaty Mexico could accept that saw it "leave the war with a grain of earth less than it entered." The United States had apparently been pressing aggressively for the cession of the whole of Baja California in order to better control the Pacific sea routes to Nicaragua from its West Coast, but Lascurain had talked them down to a 99-year concession of the Magdalena Bay, a strategic headache for the US Navy in the past, which they had finally begrudgingly agreed to. It seemed that the United States was willing to be magnanimous towards the Mexicans in late 1915 so that they could clear the battlefields of North America of an enemy they were unlikely to fully defeat on the ground and thus focus on the Confederacy and the Confederacy alone.

The Cabinet was still a grab-bag of figures, though, and the conservatives and nationalists demanded unanimity to agree to continue negotiations, which of course did not exist; Creel, once again, was the ringleader. Lascurain argued aggressively in favor of the treaty, with Reyes sitting in stern silence glaring at his compatriots, but when unanimity did not carry, Carbajal proposed instead a two-thirds majority to agree to an immediate ceasefire to fine-tune the treaty and introduce it; once again, defeated, by one vote, though no member of that meeting could exactly agree who made up the minority that defeated the motion. These motions were of course not binding, but with the Villistas and Zapatistas growing in force and war going sideways, Carbajal feared a major Cabinet rupture within ten months of the Red Battalions and the collapse of Leon de la Barra's administration. After another fruitless meeting, Cabinet agreed to table the matter for a day and return on the 20th to reconsider..."

- The Matriarch: Empress Margarita Clementina and the Emergence of a Modern Mexico

"...private force. The 2nd Reserve had, in the course of the war, only become more pro-Reyes, more indoctrinated in the idea that they and they alone stood between Mexico and anarchy, stationed in the major cities of the Altiplano where cries of Viva Villa and Viva Zapata could now be heard even amongst those in the working class who just last spring had rejected the siren song of syndicalism and the Red Battalions. Moreso even than his men, Reyes had long been convinced that he was the country's savior but that he needed to wait for the critical hour to make his move; in a letter to Louis Maximilian, the general acknowledged "what I do is a gun that can only be fired once."

Reyes' analysis of the strategic situation that faced Mexico was straightforward. So long as the United States remained at war with the Confederacy, central Mexico was in no real danger of invasion, but that did not allay his concerns. Slow as American movements through Centro had been, they had been accelerated greatly by the collapse of that state into utter anarchy and now Huerta in Guatemala City was almost about to fall; it stood to reason that there could be Marines, supported by amphibious landings, in Chiapas before long, or seizing Salinas Cruz and with it the Tehuantepec Railway. The United States held both Paso del Norte and Chihuahua City, having been handed the latter by Pancho Villa, and could reasonably strike east towards Monterrey, Salto or Matamoros at will, thus putting the entirety of the restive North under foreign control and reasonably auguring a split in Mexico that would rival the Revolt of the Caudillos thirty years earlier, a memory that still haunted Reyes as one of the last living commanders of the generation that had fought it. Villista and Zapatista rebels were scattered but held sway over much of northern and south-central Mexico and had made logistics and the functioning of the agricultural economy a living hell; as such, the harvest upon Mexico looked leaner than necessary, and stories of food riots and utter economic depression in Chile had spooked him.

Thus, the rejection by the same men who had gotten Mexico into this mess of a peace treaty that very lightly got Mexico out of it finally set Reyes off. He was a liberal rather than a nationalist on economics and generally agreed with the urban bourgeoisie that Mexico's future was one of trade and investment rather than retrenchment and paternalism, and while he held no special love in his heart for the United States, he had largely accepted after what in the Confederacy is known as "Black May" that the Americans were going to eventually win and it was best for Mexico that they not be at war with the United States anymore when that happened. The events of early autumn 1915 in Centro and northern Mexico simply persuaded him that Mexico was unable to sustain said war up until that point in time, and thus the moment had arrived to get out with the best deal in hand. That the nationalists of the "consensus cabinet" of his creature Carbajal could not see this, and that Carbajal was still too politically weak to stomach challenging them, suggested more radical solutions.

At daybreak on October 20th, the 2nd Reserve Army was thus called out of its barracks, having been consolidated the previous day in the capital under the auspices of soldiers going on leave and rotating in new reservists so several cadres could head to the front, and marched first to the Imperial Legislature, then to the National Palace on the Zocalo, which they occupied. Several printing presses of newspapers were seized; the editors were told to immediately print the terms of the American proposal for the public to read, and that the conservatives had rejected them. Reyes, meanwhile, made his way to the Chapultepec.

Maximilian had feared this day for decades, first with Miramon and now with Reyes. Upon the sight of soldiers on horseback riding up to the imperial residence, he ordered his guards stand aside and he quickly dressed in his full regalia, and had his private secretary ask them wait while he penned an abdication letter, which he stuck in his pocket just in case Reyes demanded it - that the Chief of the Imperial Staff and Minister of Defense preferred his son, possibly from a sense he'd be more pliable, was no secret.

As he came out in the drawing room where Reyes was waiting, however, Maximilian was surprised to hear how courteous the general was, and he would keep the fact that he had drafted his abdication a secret until his death seven years later. [2] Reyes puffed out his chest and announced to Maximilian that the Cabinet of Francisco Carbajal no longer retained the confidence of the Legislature or the public, and requested that he be given the opportunity to form a caretaker government that would negotiate Mexico's immediate exit from the war. They were alone in the room, but Reyes' men were outside with guns, and Maximilian had no idea that Reyes was announcing the contours of the treaty to the public as they spoke. He accepted Reyes proposal but asked he resign his commission in order to keep the administration in purely civilian hands, a point of pride for him, which Reyes agreed to do later that day. The Reyes Putsch had succeeded, entirely bloodlessly, and the uneasy, undemocratic cohabitation of Reyes' ambition and the Imperial family of the next seven years had officially begun..."

- Maximilian of Mexico

"...Reyes' seizure of power may have been bloodless on the day of October 20th, 1915, but it was not bloodless in its consolidation. Olegario Molina was assassinated by soldiers at his home in the Yucatan, and both Luis Terrazas and Enrique Creel were imprisoned on the 22nd, the latter beaten to death in his cell by guards within a month. Newspapers of both left and right opposed to the treaty that left Mexico's economy supine to American industry were shuttered and their editors forced into exile or jailed, ending the brief boomlet in Mexican liberal speech that had accompanied the Biennio Maderato for good. Reyes' Cabinet, formed on the afternoon of the 20th, was jam-packed with his cronies, with Carbajal rewarded with the Finance Ministry in return for his quiescent acceptance of the coup and immediate resignation; Mexican historians debate to this day the extent to which the outgoing Prime Minister was aware of Reyes' plans. The Legislature was dismissed, with Reyes requesting fresh elections to be held for the first time since 1911 after the completion of a peace treaty and the suspension of polls during the war, and with opposition parties more interested in fighting each other and themselves internally than the Bloc Independiente, it was a fait accompl how such elections, likely for February or March, would go.

But the crux of the matter in Mexico was that the public was generally done with the rationing, with the bodies returning home from the front, with the riots and rebellions across the North and South, and with the sense that Mexico had little to gain but everything to lose from following Confederate and Brazilian ambitions into the void. Of all the Bloc Sud members, Mexico had always been the most reluctant participant and thus the most eager to leave the war early following the deaths of more than two hundred thousand of her sons, a number many regard as an undercount. A concession of allowing the US Navy free use of a bay in a desert in the middle of nowhere seemed a small price for an end to the bloodshed not just on Mexican soil but in far-off lands such as Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. The left had been gutted by the failures of the Red Battalions at the hands of Reyes working on behalf of the government, and now the right had been scattered to the wind by Reyes seizing the government. The broad, tired and relieved Mexican center stood behind him - most Mexicans, especially those outside of the capital, could not have cared less how Reyes staged his putsch and was appointed, under constitutional auspices, Prime Minister.

On the 22nd of October, Lascurain announced that the Americans had agreed to an immediate ceasefire lasting sixty days to allow for Mexico's negotiated exit of the war and acceptance of terms, carefully worded not to sound like a surrender, and ten days later Mexican negotiators led by the canny Foreign Minister had arrived in Chihuahua to be taken by train to San Diego, where they would hash out the final treaty. As far as Mexican historiography is concerned, the war ended with the Reyes Putsch. The postwar issues, of which there were many, were thus only just beginning..."

- The Other Mexico

[1] A hundred thousand dollars in 1915 is about 3 million today. So not going to bankrupt Mexico, but still a pretty steep sum, especially considering how much wealthier the US is than Mexico at this point in time.
[2] I've spoiled this before, I guess, but whatever, I'll do it again.

Jesus that's a tough question. I'm not sure there's an answer, at least as far as anything major goes.

Wonder if that focus/emphasis butterflies away the opioid crisis we're going through now. I'm not positive it does but I can see a USA ITTL making a more concerted effort to better regulate or even outlaw opioids given their association. Tough to say though. Speaking of opioids, if you haven't seen "The Crime of the Century" on HBO Max it is worth checking out.
Interesting thought. You may see more of an attitude of “just go home and smoke a joint” attitude to pain management, or a pharma sector all-in on CBD/THC, and thus avoiding opioids altogether, especially with the problems with heroin TTL is eventually going to have
Thinking about Languages of the World percentages spoken relative to OTL as of 2022.
I'm guessing Chinese is going to be a touch less given the disunity and lack of control in the West (though the idea of a dominant Cantonese speaking state isn't out of the question). English maybe a *touch* less due to the the lack of the hyper-dominant USA, (though if India doesn't take English as the unifying language, that *really* affects things (Esparanto or its equivalent). French a touch less (not sure which way Quebec would be relative to OTL). German a touch more with it not being stuffed back into its box as iOTL. The OTL split of Norwegian into Nynorsk and Bokmal is well after the POD and My *guess* is that the added Nationalism likely in this Norway probably lead Norway to be closer to Nynorsk (unless Denmark helps with its independence in which case, the reverse).
India with English as its unifier does make sense, so English might be even more dominant in that sense

Yup! I've read that he - or close friends of his - were heavily invested in lumber for wood-pulp paper and were threatened by industrial hemp production. Though, once again, there's so much rumor and innuendo out there about marijuana prohibition that I'd want to do more research before I would say with any certainty that that is true.

But removing Anslinger one way or another would be wonders - though there's always a potential that someone else just takes his place. If one wanted to be cruel (and ironic) perhaps he survives the war, and ends up with a drinking and drug problem as a result. Maybe credits Cannibas for helping him deal with his PTSD and kicking the habit ;)
This would be the only way I could agree with not killing him. Also, the dude who invented tetraethyl lead and freon needs a bullet to his dads balls.

Interesting thought. You may see more of an attitude of “just go home and smoke a joint” attitude to pain management, or a pharma sector all-in on CBD/THC, and thus avoiding opioids altogether, especially with the problems with heroin TTL is eventually going to have

India with English as its unifier does make sense, so English might be even more dominant in that sense
I think the difference is that a larger India (including Pakistan & Bangladesh) might lead to heavier use of English as a language among them. I *guess* this leads to a slightly lower use of Urdu???