Shuffling the Canon REDUX: A Shuffled Disney & Pixar TL Redone

I have decided to post updates every weekend now so that I have some sort of a schedule.

1947 (and 1948 if I figure that one out) will be coming the following weekend.

I'm guessing Brother Bear is supposed to be an analog to Song of the South ITTL albeit fully animated and much tamer racially compared to OTL's version. Also, interesting to see Edgar Bergen narrates for TAOIAMT instead of Fun and Fancy Free here, although I admit Charlie in Fun and Fancy Free IOTL was a guilty pleasure of mine. Is the Hound segment from The Fox and The Hound here darker than even The Hunchback of Notre Dame? If so I can understand why that was never re-released until 1999 although realistically I can imagine that it and Hunchback gets re-released in the 1970s like OTL's Alice in Wonderland (with the latter being aired mostly on TV until then). And lastly, since Encanto was an original story IOTL I can see how The Little Prince would fit here, although personally, I can also imagine it being made as part of the Good Neighbor Policy towards Latin America.

I'm guessing Brother Bear is supposed to be an analog to Song of the South ITTL albeit fully animated and much tamer racially compared to OTL's version.
Exactly

Also, interesting to see Edgar Bergen narrates for TAOIAMT instead of Fun and Fancy Free here, although I admit Charlie in Fun and Fancy Free IOTL was a guilty pleasure of mine.
Glad to hear that you enjoy Charlie in FAFF, but personally I always thought Mickey and the Beanstalk would’ve worked better with only Bergen’s narration. That’s why only Bergen appears in “Wind in the Willows”.

Is the Hound segment from The Fox and The Hound here darker than even The Hunchback of Notre Dame?
Considering this is Lovecraftian horror we’re talking about, it’s seen on the same level as Hunchback. Although “The Hound” being a featurette doesn’t get it re-released until much later.

I can also imagine it being made as part of the Good Neighbor Policy towards Latin America.
The Latin American duology are released as shorts here (as a consequence, Panchito Pistoles sadly doesn’t exist)

The Jungle Book (1947)
"Walt Disney starts production on Jungle Book" -The Hollywood Reporter, December 18th 1945

---

Taken from "The Story Behind the Jungle Book", produced in 1997 for its 50th Anniversary VHS release

Leonard Maltin: Personally, the only true contender to "Ichabod and Mr Toad" was "The Jungle Book". To keep his successful films going, Walt was always looking for new material to adapt into feature films, and then Walt stumbled upon “Elephant Boy”, a 1937 film, and that was when he had this idea of making the Jungle Book.

Frank Thomas: I think it was around the time we finished "Ichabod and Mr Toad". Walt suddenly came to us as said "Listen up folks, we are going to do the Jungle Book next." Now most of us weren't really familiar with the Jungle Book, so it was a bit of a challenge to adapt the book into a feature film.

Ollie Johnston: The story of the Jungle Book is a bit episodic. Mowgli is supposed to learn these life lessons and decide whether he wants to live in the jungle or the man village, but most of these lessons come from his animal friends instead of himself. That's the main part which we needed to fix, it wasn't an easy job trust me. I remember the crew tearing their hair apart just trying to fix the main structural issues.

Narrator: The film was divided into four segments, each representing Mowgli's adventures in the jungle.

Ollie Johnston: One of the scrapped ideas we had for the second segment was having Kaa be the antagonist. Kaa was gonna hypnotise Mowgli and we were gonna have this chaotic battle between Kaa and Bagheera. Of course that never happened and Shere Khan became the central antagonist, tying the segments together. Then there were the elephants, they were gonna play a bigger role but ultimately we had to trim them down to only one segment, it was a package film after all.

Leonard Maltin: When the film premiered in 1947, it was an instantaneous hit with audiences and was a success. Most people enjoyed the nice slice-of-life film after World War 2, just a nice simple film about a boy’s adventures in the jungle.

—-

The film was divided into four segments. Bagheera the Black Panther acts as a framing device by recalling his adventures with the “Man-Cub”.

The first segment was “Life Begins for Mowgli”. Bagheera recounts his first encounter with Mowgli as an abandoned baby. He takes Mowgli in and has the wolves raise him. Ten years later, Mowgli grows into a young boy and Bagheera insists on taking him to the human village. Meanwhile, Shere Khan the murderous tiger returns to the forest and threatens jungle life, leading Bagheera to protect Mowgli at all costs.

The second segment was “Mowgli and the Pachyderm Parade”. Mowgli meets Premier Pachyderm and his parade. Mowgli joins in the fun but is soon spotted by Pachyderm, who despises humans due to a poaching incident years prior. Mowgli is almost killed when Bagheera arrives and save him. Bagheera is now more insistent on sending Mowgli away than ever.

The third segment was “Adventures with Baloo”. Mowgli wanders off and meets Baloo the laid back bear. Baloo teaches Mowgli to forget about his worries and live the sweet life. However, their worries return when a group of Bandar-log monkeys kidnap Mowgli and use the boy as entertainment. Fortunately, Kaa the snake scares the monkeys away and Baloo is able to rescue Mowgli. As a result, Bagheera berates Baloo and prepares to send Mowgli to the man village at night.

The final segment was “Encounters with Shere Khan”. At night, Shere Khan spots Mowgli and prepares to attack and eat him. Baloo and Bagheera wake up just in time to rescue Mowgli. The two parties battle but ultimately Shere Khan is knocked off a cliff and is seemingly eaten by vultures. Mowgli makes the bold decision to stay in the forest, but reverses his decision when he sees a pretty girl his age. The film then ends with a reprise of “Bare Necessities”

"The Jungle Book" premiered in 1947 paired alongside the musical short "Peter and the Wolf". With a small budget of $450000, the film would end up grossing an estimate of $1 million on its initial release. Most package films were successes both financially and critcally, yet Walt was still $4 million in debt. Walt had to think of a solution and fast

Release Date: September 27th 1947 (premiere), October 29th 1947 (general release)

Cast:
John Sutherland (Bagheera)
Bobby Driscoll (Mowgli)
Candy Candido (Premier Pachyderm)
Pinto Colvig (Baloo)
Billy Gilbert, Clarence Nash, Jimmy MacDomald (Bandar-log Monkeys)
Sterling Holloway (Kaa)
Thurl Ravenscroft (Shere Khan)
Shirley Temple (Girl)

Notable Songs:
Say It With a Slap (sung by Baloo)

Notes: Given its source material, it was easy to translate the Jungle Book into a package film. Here, it's seen as the strongest film in the package era next to "Ichabod and Mr Toad". Sterling Holloway is the only vocie actor to be featured in both versions of the Jungle Book. The next film would be unexpected, even though I have planned how it'll go ITTL.

Last edited:
Big Hero 6 (1948)
Taken from an interview with the Nine Old Men (excluding the deceased members), 1988

Interviewer: So Mr Kimball, can you tell us one of your personal favourite works?

Ward Kimball: I think it would either be Mr Toad in "Wind in the Willows" or Pecos Bill in "Big Hero 6". Walt didn't give me any instruction on Pecos Bill, he just gave me the basic outlines and told me to go wild. I loved animating that segment, the sheer energy and fluidity Bill had, it was amazing and possibly my favourite peice of animation that I had ever done.

Interviewer: Interesting to hear. Speaking of Big Hero 6, how did that movie even come to be anyway? It was odd seeing a collection of shorts bundled into a quote-on-quote movie.

Frank Thomas: Well it was during the war when Walt had this idea of a patriotic film. Walt wanted to do a film with American legends, and it even got approved by the military folks at the studio. I think the John Henry segment was always Walt's personal favourite, which can also be said for the civil rights activists in the 1960s.

Interviewer: That's nice to hear, anyways that's all the time we have for today...

---

Even though what would becomne "Big Hero 6" wasn't finished until three years after World War 2, the sense of patriotism was extremely high in the sense of "if you're not with us you're against us". This patriotic spirit extended to the animation industry, more specifically Walt Disney Animation Studios. The military had comissioned Disney to produce patriotic and military training shorts to educate the public on the war and increase war support. From here, an idea stemmed where Walt would produce a series of animated shorts or featurettes based off American legends, packaged into one feature film. There were a lot of potential suitors when it came to actually choosing material for featurettes. "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" was most notably considered before ultimately produced and released as a part of "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad". Ultimately Walt settled on six American legend featurettes, hence the title "Big Hero 6". Thanks to production delays and other projects such as "The Little Prince" and "The Jungle Book", "Big Hero 6" ended up far behind in production and wasn't released until 1948.

The film starts with Buddy Clark narrating George Washington's life story, depicting the American Revolution and the events of the Boston Tea Party. Dennis Day then comes in with "Johnny Appleseed". The segment follows John Chapman/Johnny Appleseed's journey to plant apple trees across America before ascending to heaven to plant trees there. "Big Hero 6" continues with Roy Rogers narrating "Pecos Bill", following the titular cowboy and his love Slue Foot Sue. "Big Hero 6" comes to a halt with Ed Wynn narrating "Casey at the Bat". Based off the 1888 poem of the same name, the arrogance of baseball player Casey causes him to ultimately lose the big game. Jerry Colonna then narrates "The Brave Engineer", depicting the tale of Casey Jones and his heroric attempt to save (or at the very least, reduce the effects of) a crash. The film the ends with "John Henry", with James Baskett narrating and voicing the titular character.

The film released in 1948 paired with the Donald Duck short "Blame it on the Samba", starring Jose Carioca and had music performed by Ethel Smith. performed in the middle of the road, not a big success but also not a failure. But if there was one thing audiences liked about "Big Hero 6", it was "John Henry". The aforementioned segment would become a pop culture icon within the civil rights movement. Sadly, James Baskett would pass away only 6 weeks after the film's release, making this his last film role. Meanwhile, Walt was about ready to return to classic fairytale storytelling, starting with a certain German fairytale he had had on his mind for quite some while.

Release Date: May 27th 1948

Cast:
Buddy Clark (Narrator of "George Washington")
Dennis Day (Narrator and voice of "Johnny Appleseed" and his guardian angel)
Roy Rogers (Narrator and voice of "Pecos Bill")
Ed Wynn (Narrator of "Casey at the Bat")
Jerry Colonna (Narrator of "The Brave Engineer")
James Baskett (Narrator and voice of "John Henry")

Notes: Considering OTL's "Big Hero 6" released in 2014 and has sci-fi elements as the main focus, there is no way it will be the same in 1948. Hence why I used the original pitch of OTL's "Melody Time" as the basis here. Before we get to the Silver Age, we'll have to see what 1949a has in store for us first.

Like Big Hero 6 and Encanto, 1949a will be another OTL Post-2000 title that is nothing like its OTL counterpart

Last edited:
Taken from an interview with the Nine Old Men (excluding the deceased members), 1988

Interviewer: So Mr Kimball, can you tell us one of your personal favourite works?

Ward Kimball: I think it would either be Mr Toad in "Wind in the Willows" or Pecos Bill in "Big Hero 6". Walt didn't give me any instruction on Pecos Bill, he just gave me the basic outlines and told me to go wild. I loved animating that segment, the sheer energy and fluidity Bill had, it was amazing and possibly my favourite peice of animation that I had ever done.

Interviewer: Interesting to hear. Speaking of Big Hero 6, how did that movie even come to be anyway? It was odd seeing a collection of shorts bundled into a quote-on-quote movie.

Frank Thomas: Well it was during the war when Walt had this idea of a patriotic film. Walt wanted to do a film with American legends, and it even got approved by the military folks at the studio. I think the John Henry segment was always Walt's personal favourite, which can also be said for the civil rights activists in the 1960s.

Interviewer: That's nice to hear, anyways that's all the time we have for today...

---

"Big Hero 6" was the result of Walt stitching together 6 shorts about American Legends to make one "patriotic film". Unlike the other package films, there weren't any framing devices excluding introductions to each segment.

The film starts with Buddy Clark narrating George Washington's life story, depicting the American Revolution and the events of the Boston Tea Party. Dennis Day then comes in with "Johnny Appleseed". The segment follows John Chapman/Johnny Appleseed's journey to plant apple trees across America before ascending to heaven to plant trees there. "Big Hero 6" continues with Roy Rogers narrating "Pecos Bill", following the titular cowboy and his love Slue Foot Sue.

"Big Hero 6" comes to a halt with Ed Wynn narrating "Casey at the Bat". Based off the 1888 poem of the same name, the arrogance of baseball player Casey causes him to ultimately lose the big game. Jerry Colonna then narrates "The Brave Engineer", depicting the tale of Casey Jones and his heroric attempt to save (or at the very least, reduce the effects of) a crash. The film the ends with "John Henry", with James Baskett narrating and voicing the titular character.

The film performed in the middle of the road, not a big success but also not a failure. But if there was one thing audiences liked about "Big Hero 6", it was "John Henry". The aforementioned segment would become a pop culture icon within the civil rights movement. Meanwhile, Walt was about ready to return to classic fairytale storytelling, starting with a certain German fairytale he had had on his mind for quite some while.

Release Date: May 27th 1948

Cast:
Buddy Clark (Narrator of "George Washington")
Dennis Day (Narrator and voice of "Johnny Appleseed" and his guardian angel)
Roy Rogers (Narrator and voice of "Pecos Bill")
Ed Wynn (Narrator of "Casey at the Bat")
Jerry Colonna (Narrator of "The Brave Engineer")
James Baskett (Narrator and voice of "John Henry")

Notes: Considering OTL's "Big Hero 6" released in 2014 and has sci-fi elements as the main focus, there is no way it will be the same in 1948. Hence why I used the original pitch of OTL's "Melody Time" as the basis here. Before we get to the Silver Age, we'll have to see what 1949a has in store for us first.

Like Big Hero 6 and Encanto, 1949a will be another OTL Post-2000 title that is nothing like its OTL counterpart
Interesting to see that the original pitch for Melody Time is the basis for this version of Big Hero 6. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for 1949a although it's probably not a fairytale.

I'll start the TV Show shuffling when we get to the 1970 film. TV Shows will start after the 1985 film and Pixar starts in 1995, note that Toy Story will probably not be Pixar's first film.

Strange World (1949)
"Disney and T.H.White to collaborate on next live-action film" -The Hollywood Reporter, February 20th 1948

---

Taken from a meeting between Walt Disney and T.H.White, January 1947

Walt Disney: So Mr White, what brings you to the studio?

T.H.White: Mr Disney, I am quite the admirer of your work and I approach you today with a proposition: I have this unpublished script about a Lilliputian World and I've been thinking of reviving it as a collaboration between me and you. After "The Little Prince", maybe we could turn this old script into a live-action film of some sorts.

Walt Disney: Hmmmm, I'm not so sure. I think I purchased rights to one of your novels a few years ago, I think it was "The Sword in the Stone". Maybe we could work this out and discuss about both projects, shall we?

---

Like its title, "Strange World" had a very strange and complicated production. The main story was initially conceived as a children's book by English author T.H.White, however due to complications with developing a proper and coherent story, White scrapped said plans and never considered reviving them until he saw Disney's "Encanto: The Adventures of the Little Prince" in theaters. Realising the potential of a live-action Disney production, White contacted Disney in January 1947 and production was put in full swing by October.

Of course, Walt Disney himself was no stranger to T.H.White. Disney had previously purchased film rights to White's 1938 novel "The Sword in the Stone" but the outbreak of World War 2 and other projects put a stop to those plans. "The Sword in the Stone" wouldn't become reality until the 1980s, and Walt had his full interests on White’s new collaboration. While the original script had the name “Mistress Masham’s Repose”, Walt gave the film a new title: “Strange World”. The reasoning was due to the more absurd and weird aspect: The Lilliputians and their whimsical world.

The story centers around the orphan girl and inherited owner of a luxurious mansion Maria Masham. Maria's only friends are the home cook and the retired Professor Bill, who try to protect her from Maria's strict governess Miss Brown and Maria's guardian Mr Hatter. After a heated arguement between Maria and Miss Brown, Maria runs away and discovers a colony of Liliputians, led by the head King Lilliput. Initially trying to win them over by sending gifts, Maria realises that she must come to respect the Lilliputians in order to win them over. Maria and the Lilliputians must then bond together to take down Miss Brown and Mr Hatter, who have also discovered the Lilliputian colony and intend to exploit them for their own greed.

"Strange World" opened to mixed reviews and a disappointing box office return, most people agreed that the hybrid between the animated Lilliputians and the live-action cast was a downgrade from "Encanto: The Adventures of the Little Prince". "Strange World" had flopped, yet Walt was about to release perhaps his biggest success since "the Little Mermaid".

Release Date: January 11th 1949

Live-Action Cast:
Luana Patten (Maria Masham)
John Beal (Cook)
Harry Carey (Professor Bill)
Beulah Bondi (Miss Brown)
Burl Ives (Mr Hatter)

Animated Cast:
Ken Carson (King Lilliput)
Jimmy MacDonald, Billy Gilbert, Billy Bletcher and Pinto Colvig (Various Lilliputians)

Notes: Like with "Encanto", it was quite hard figuring out how the second most recent film in OTL's WDAC would work in the 1940s. Since IOTL, "Mistress Masham's Repose" was an actual proposed feature in the 1980s, I figured it would be suitable material for an analogue to "So Dear to My Heart". Here, the situation of the "Mistress Masham's Repose" novel is akin to OTL's Dumbo book, initially scrapped and forgotten but gained relevancy through a Disney film.

Last edited:
Starting from 1949b, we would be entering TTL's Disney Silver Age (or Golden Age depending on how you look at it). Let's just say based on the current line-up of films, I am looking forward to writing them, especially 1949b, 1951 and 1959. You've probably already guessed what 1949b is if any previous hints provide indication, so stay tuned as 1949b is coming very soon.

Is this version of Strange World partly inspired by the Gulliver’s Travels?
Mostly. TTL's Strange World is based on "Mistress Masham's Repose", here said novel is scrapped but revived through a Disney film (like OTL's Dumbo). It does has elements from Gulliver's Travels however.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1949)
Taken from "Rags to Riches: The Making of Disney's Snow White", produced in 1993

Narrator: By 1949, Walt Disney was 4 million dollars in debt. If he couldn't find a solution and fast, then it would spell game over for the studio.

Ollie Johnston: We were about ready to pack up and be handed our walking papers, half expecting the studio to shut down. Of course that didn't happen, and it's all thanks to the runaway success of Snow White.

Narrator: For Disney's version of the fairytale, each of the seven dwarfs would have unique personalities to seperate them apart.

Ward Kimball: Back in the old Silly Symphony days and even when we started doing feature films, most side characters looked alike and had almost the same personality. If you look at Robin Hood, most of the residents of Nottingham had similar looks and we couldn't really tell them apart. And now we have these seven different individuals, all having unique personalities that defined their characters.

Joe Grant: In the earliest drafts of Snow White back in the 1930s, we had loads of dwarf names being thrown around. There was Wheezy, Jumpy, Sneezy, Baldy, Sleepy and Gabby just to name a few. Ultimately we settled on these seven: Doc, Bashful, Lazy, Happy, Deafy, Grumpy and of course, Dopey. These seven dwarfs were what made the film so successful and memorable.

Ilene Woods: One of my songwriter friends Jerry Livingston asked me to record a few songs from the film, I think it was "So This is Love". Walt happened to have heard my recording and the next thing I knew, I was cast for the voice of Snow White.

Ward Kimball: When the film premiered, there were people crying and sobbing at the casket scene. I couldn't believe it! It was just a cartoon and everyone's crying!

Leonard Maltin: The film was a huge success and saved the Disney Studio from any potential bankruptcy. With the amount of money earnt by Snow White, Walt was finally able to pay off the $4 million debt and work on his passion projects such as the incredible artistic experiement of Fantasia.

---

"Walt Disney's Snow White a huge hit, earns $5 million in first weekend." -The Hollywood Reporter, October 14th 1949

"If this isn't your best masterpiece, it is very close to the top" -Review by producer Hal Wallis

"Snow White is an engaging re-telling of the original fairytale, Disney and his animators really hit it out of the park with this one!" -Time Magazine, October 1949 issue

---

The German fairytale "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" had long been considered as material for an animated feature by Walt Disney, with its history tracing as far back to 1934. Snow White was one of Walt's considerations for his first feature film, storyboards and a few songs were composed before the film was ultimately dropped in favour of the Little Mermaid. Snow White was ultimately shelved for a later date, with the outbreak of World War 2 halting any plans of bringing Snow White to the big screen. Later in 1946, Walt was looking for ways to return to classic storytelling after doing package films. After considering the French tale of Cinderella, James Barrie's play Peter Pan and Walt's childhood favourite novel Alice in Wonderland, he decided to revive Snow White instead. Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland would both be made after another few series of economic turntoil and Peter Pan was pushed past Snow White in terms of production, but for now Snow White would go on to save the Walt Disney Studio.

For Walt's take on Snow White, he had to make it worthwhile and special. The seven dwarfs would have unique personalities that set them apart, Snow White was aged up to at least 18, and the prince was to be given a bigger role in the story compared to the original tale. Of course, the film had some of its scenes trimmed out as to not affect the overall pacing. The two most notable examples were "Bluddle Uddle Um Dum" and "Music in Your Soup", both of which were included in the 1930s story outline. "Music in Your Soup" was kept for "The Little Mermaid" while "Bluddle Uddle Um Dum" was scrapped forever and would not be shown until an episode of "Walt Disney Presents: Disneyland" in 1956. For the film's score and songs, Walt decided to re-use a few songs Frank Churchill had composed for the original 1930s attempt, most notably "One Song". The rest were composed by studio music director Charles Wolcott.

The beautiful Snow White is orphaned at a young age and lives with her evil step-mother Queen Agatha, who is jealous of Snow White's beauty and forces her to become a scullery maid. Snow White meets with Prince Florian one day and falls in love, singing "One Song". When Agatha's magic mirror proclaims Snow White to be the fairest of them all on Snow White's 18th birthday, Agatha plots to kill Snow White by sending her loyal huntsman to kill her. The huntsman ultimately sets Snow White free and she runs off to a nearby cottage, the house of seven miner dwarfs. The dwarfs discover Snow White at night and take her in, vowing to protect her from the evil queen. Meanwhile, Agatha captures Prince Florian and creates a potion to transform her into a witch to fool Snow White. The prince escapes and must now work with the dwarfs to save Snow White before it's too late.

The film was a phenomenal success, wiping Disney of all his debt and allowing him to produce the classic feature films he had wanted to create for the longest time. Snow White would kickstart the Disney Silver Age, lasting until Walt's death in 1966 and the film released shortly after.

Release Date: October 9th 1949

Cast:
Ilene Woods (Snow White)
Harry Stockwell (Prince Florian)
Eleanor Audley (Queen Agatha)
Luis van Rooten (Doc)
Bill Thompson (Bashful)
Ed Wynn (Happy)
Pinto Colvig (Grumpy)
Sterling Holloway (Lazy)
Billy Gilbert (Deafy)
Mel Blanc (Dopey) (1)

Notable Songs:
A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes (sung by Snow White in the start of the film)
One Song (sung between Snow White and Prince Florian, reprise later heard in the coffin scene)
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo (sung by Snow White during the house cleaning scene)
Heigh Ho (sung by the Seven Dwarfs during mining)
The Dwarf's Work Song (sung by the Seven Dwarfs during the bed building scene, contains parts of A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes) (2)
You're Never Too Old to be Young (sung by the dwarfs to Snow White during the cottage party scene)
So This is Love (heard during the "Dancing in the Clouds" sequence)

(1) Mel Blanc never signs the exclusivity contract with Warner Bros, therefore he is allowed to voice Dopey here
(2) Known IOTL as The Work Song from Cinderella

Notes: Plotwise, TTL's Snow White is almost identical to OTL's version, but the prince has a more active role by the end, Snow White is aged up significantly, and both the bed building scene and the dancing in the clouds sequence are kept. Starting from this film, I will be listing Notable Songs from each film so I won't have to include them in the notes section. Stay tuned for what the Silver Age will bring.

Last edited:
Taken from "Rags to Riches: The Making of Disney's Snow White", produced in 1993

Narrator: By 1949, Walt Disney was 4 million dollars in debt. If he couldn't find a solution and fast, then it would spell game over for the studio.

Ollie Johnston: We were about ready to pack up and be handed our walking papers, half expecting the studio to shut down. Of course that didn't happen, and it's all thanks to the runaway success of Snow White.

Narrator: For Disney's version of the fairytale, each of the seven dwarfs would have unique personalities to seperate them apart.

Ward Kimball: Back in the old Silly Symphony days and even when we started doing feature films, most side characters looked alike and had almost the same personality. If you look at Robin Hood, most of the residents of Nottingham had similar looks and we couldn't really tell them apart. And now we have these seven different individuals, all having unique personalities that defined their characters.

Joe Grant: In the earliest drafts of Snow White back in the 1930s, we had loads of dwarf names being thrown around. There was Wheezy, Jumpy, Sneezy, Baldy, Sleepy and Gabby just to name a few. Ultimately we settled on these seven: Doc, Bashful, Lazy, Happy, Deafy, Grumpy and of course, Dopey. These seven dwarfs were what made the film so successful and memorable.

Ilene Woods: One of my songwriter friends Jerry Livingston asked me to record a few songs from the film, I think it was "So This is Love". Walt happened to have heard my recording and the next thing I knew, I was cast for the voice of Snow White.

Ward Kimball: When the film premiered, there were people crying and sobbing at the casket scene. I couldn't believe it! It was just a cartoon and everyone's crying!

Leonard Maltin: The film was a huge success and saved the Disney Studio from any potential bankruptcy. With the amount of money earnt by Snow White, Walt was finally able to pay off the $4 million debt and work on his passion projects such as the incredible artistic experiement of Fantasia.

---

"Walt Disney's Snow White a huge hit, earns $5 million in first weekend." -The Hollywood Reporter, October 14th 1949

"If this isn't your best masterpiece, it is very close to the top" -Review by producer Hal Wallis

"Snow White is an engaging re-telling of the original fairytale, Disney and his animators really hit it out of the park with this one!" -Time Magazine, October 1949 issue

---

The German fairytale "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" had long been considered as material for an animated feature by Walt Disney, with its history tracing as far back to 1934. Snow White was one of Walt's considerations for his first feature film, storyboards and a few songs were composed before the film was ultimately dropped in favour of the Little Mermaid. Snow White was ultimately shelved for a later date, with the outbreak of World War 2 halting any plans of bringing Snow White to the big screen. Later in 1946, Walt was looking for ways to return to classic storytelling after doing package films. After considering the French tale of Cinderella, James Barrie's play Peter Pan and Walt's childhood favourite novel Alice in Wonderland, he decided to revive Snow White instead. Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland would both be made after another few series of economic turntoil and Peter Pan was pushed past Snow White in terms of production, but for now Snow White would go on to save the Walt Disney Studio.

For Walt's take on Snow White, he had to make it worthwhile and special. The seven dwarfs would have unique personalities that set them apart, Snow White was aged up to at least 18, and the prince was to be given a bigger role in the story compared to the original tale. For the film's score and songs, Walt decided to re-use a few songs Frank Churchill had composed for the original 1930s attempt, most notably "One Song". The rest were composed by studio music director Charles Wolcott.

The beautiful Snow White is orphaned at a young age and lives with her evil step-mother Queen Agatha, who is jealous of Snow White's beauty and forces her to become a scullery maid. Snow White meets with Prince Florian one day and falls in love, singing "One Song". When Agatha's magic mirror proclaims Snow White to be the fairest of them all on Snow White's 18th birthday, Agatha plots to kill Snow White by sending her loyal huntsman to kill her. The huntsman ultimately sets Snow White free and she runs off to a nearby cottage, the house of seven miner dwarfs. The dwarfs discover Snow White at night and take her in, vowing to protect her from the evil queen. Meanwhile, Agatha captures Prince Florian and creates a potion to transform her into a witch to fool Snow White. The prince escapes and must now work with the dwarfs to save Snow White before it's too late.

The film was a phenomenal success, wiping Disney of all his debt and allowing him to produce the classic feature films he had wanted to create for the longest time. Snow White would kickstart the Disney Silver Age, lasting until Walt's death in 1966 and the film released shortly after.

Cast:
Ilene Woods (Snow White)
Luis van Rooten (Doc)
Bill Thompson (Bashful)
Ed Wynn (Happy)
Pinto Colvig (Grumpy)
Sterling Holloway (Lazy)
Billy Gilbert (Deafy)
Mel Blanc (Dopey) (1)

Notable Songs:
A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes (sung by Snow White in the start of the film)
One Song (sung between Snow White and Prince Florian, reprise later heard in the coffin scene)
The Dwarf's Work Song (sung by the Seven Dwarfs during the bed building scene, contains parts of A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes) (2)

(1) Mel Blanc never signs the exclusivity contract with Warner Bros, therefore he is allowed to voice Dopey here

Notes: Plotwise, TTL's Snow White is almost identical to OTL's version, but the prince has a more active role by the end, Snow White is aged up significantly, and the bed building scene is kept. Starting from this film, I will be listing Notable Songs from each film so I won't have to include them in the notes section. Stay tuned for what the Silver Age will bring.
Better late then never

I have decided to include the Notable Songs section in all previous WDAC films (excluding some in the Wartime Era) so it feels more fleshed out.

Also, the 1950 film is gonna be hard to develop. Not in the sense that it could go anywhere like with Encanto or Strange World though, you'll see what I mean when we get there.

Last edited:

---

---

For Walt's take on Snow White, he had to make it worthwhile and special. The seven dwarfs would have unique personalities that set them apart, Snow White was aged up to at least 18, and the prince was to be given a bigger role in the story compared to the original tale. For the film's score and songs, Walt decided to re-use a few songs Frank Churchill had composed for the original 1930s attempt, most notably "One Song". The rest were composed by studio music director Charles Wolcott.

Cast:
Ilene Woods (Snow White)
Luis van Rooten (Doc)
Bill Thompson (Bashful)
Ed Wynn (Happy)
Pinto Colvig (Grumpy)
Sterling Holloway (Lazy)
Billy Gilbert (Deafy)
Mel Blanc (Dopey) (1)

Notable Songs:

Notes: Plotwise, TTL's Snow White is almost identical to OTL's version, but the prince has a more active role by the end, Snow White is aged up significantly, and the bed building scene is kept. Starting from this film, I will be listing Notable Songs from each film so I won't have to include them in the notes section. Stay tuned for what the Silver Age will bring.
So Snow White is the Transition film between the Golden Age/Package Film eras and the Silver Age? It definitely feels like it represents both eras so it’s an interesting touch.