2019 Presidental Election, Part 1
1608724200857.png

For the last few weeks May had a small but strong lead, now the two candidates were neck and neck

“YouGov has released their last poll before the official purdah election period in this morning’s Times. The topline figures are Miliband 26% (+1) May 25%(-4), Farage 15% (+4) Cable 13%(nc), Bartley 8% (+1) Batten 7%(-1), Allen 6% (-1). Fieldwork was Wednesday and Thursday and changes are since the start of March. May's score of 25% is the first time YouGov has shown her dropping below 30% since winning the primary. It is hard to avoid the obvious conclusion that she is shedding support to more right wing candidates like Batten and Farage. As ever, one should be cautious about reading too much into any single poll, but this is pretty much in line with other recent polling. A BMG poll last week put Miliband 2 points ahead and the Conservatives down at 26%. A Survation poll this week produced a four-point Miliband lead. Kantar’s latest poll produced a three-point Miliband lead (and a startling 9 point drop in May's support). Across the board May’s support seems to be falling away.”
- YouGov Presidential Poll, CB Polling Report (2019)

Farage’s decision to launch his new party and campaign days before the purdah deadline period was a stroke of genius, despite only existing for a few days, his campaign was repeatedly polling in the mid ten percent. The most obvious loser was Theresa May, who went from a narrow lead of 3-4 points to falling neck and neck with Miliband. Whilst Miliband did have competition from Cable, Allen and Bartley, the Farage effect had been particularly damaging for May, some polls even showed Farage within the margin of error of entering the final round. May’s team had to work out how to stem the bleeding and get their candidate back in the fight.

1608724286145.png

The election was in real danger of becoming a three-way race

May’s team decided to make a political pivot. Until now, they had been running a fairly conventional Conservative campaign, pledging to cut taxes, get the deficit under control and deliver a referendum on Europe, but now with Farage on stage siphoning May’s statist Conserative voters, especially in the North and Midlands, May decided it was time for a more authoritarian approach. At a speech outside Manchester Arena, where less than two years before dozens had been killed, May pledged to make combating terror the centre of her campaign, promising to give police the “powers they need to keep us safe” and to “crack down” on radical Islamists. This included a vast array of new police surveillance powers on the internet.

“Let’s get one thing straight: Theresa May is strong and stable. She is firm and unwavering in her stance to deliver her fantasy of regulating the internet and making it her own political playground. May introduced the Investigatory Powers Act, aptly nicknamed the snooper’s charter, during her time in the Senate. Now she's the nominee she has not changed her attack-dog stance on internet surveillance. If she wins in May, May will continue on her warpath to decrypt the internet and make our data security weak and wobbly. As May stood outside Finsbury Park Mosque on her latest campaign stop she announced that she would establish a new commission for countering extremism, "giving police and security services the powers that they need. What this stance ignores is that many of those culpable for such atrocities were already known to intelligence staff. It is not sweeping mass surveillance we need more of – it is police officers. We need the resources to keep an eye on the true dangers, not the innocent millions who will be fished up in the net and caught in the crossfire.” - Theresa May’s crackdown on the internet will let terror in the backdoor, Alex Lee, The Guardian (2019)

Miliband’s campaign meanwhile was stagnant. Whilst Farage hadn’t hit him as hard or as fast as May, the drip of crises from Umunna’s defection to the deadlock in the Senate and the growing national debt meant that Miliband too needed a political makeover. Miliband’s campaign became one of statesman-like unity, attempting to demonstrate the British people as unified against May’s “divisive” campaign. In a gimmick stolen from French presidential candidate Jean Luc-Melenchon. Miliband did a hologram speech. Speaking at a rally from his old secondary school in Camden, Miliband was beamed in hologram form giving a speech in Doncaster, in his old Senate constituency. Despite mockery of “holo-Ed” he gave a good speech promising “grounded hope” and “transformative politics”, either way, holo-Ed certainly got people talking.

1608724019542.png

Hologram campaiging had been used by politicians around the world, from Narendra Modi to Jean Luc-Melenchon

Meanwhile on the fringe right of British politics, Gerrard Batten was desperately trying to piece UKIP back together. With the help of far-right “For Britain” MP Anne-Marie Waters, Batten was just about able to get over the nomination line and make a bid for President. Several UKIP MPs defected to the Brexit Alliance days after nominating Batten and some had accused Farage of “lending” Batten MPs by holding off their defections, in order to make himself seem moderate. However it had happened, Batten was on the ballot, leading an identitarian campaign aimed at the worst parts of British culture. Batten made islamophobia the main thrust of his campaign pledging to take on the “death cult” and to push back against the “islamification of Britain”. Protecting by paramilitaries from the EDL, FLA and Britian First, Batten would travel to largely Muslim enighbourhoods and hold rallies outside mosques.It was not pretty, but Batten kept himself in the news.

“It comes to something when a chap styling himself as Sargon of Akkad is running to become Premier of South West England. You can imagine the bemused Belgian TV reporters trying to make sense of that guy, like something out of Monty Python but with added hate. Real name Carl Benjamin, Sargs is the Ukip candidate – a “free speech merchant” according to his leader, Gerard Batten. Much the same can be said about the rest of the Brexit Party campaign: challenging and defeating people even more unhinged than they are. So thanks, I suppose. You may think Nigel Farage a nasty piece of work, and you’d be right, but he has finished off his old mates in Ukip. UKIP is now even more dangerous than his new mob, which is now a one-issue pressure group. Thus we have Farage to thank for making sure that Mark Meechan, better known as Count Dankula and “Nazi pug yob”, probably won't be Premier of Scotland. He will not be in the Scottish parliament bar with his party trick, how he taught his girlfriend’s pet pug to give the Nazi salute.” - Nigel Farage’s success is good news for one reason. He has killed off those who are even loonier than him, Sean O’Grady, The Independent (2019)

1608724145446.png

UKIP was now reduced to a rump of hard-right voters

Despite a very strong start, as Farage’s campaign went on he began to struggle, May was slowly but surely clawing back her voters, and Batten’s campaign refused to die, taking a small chunk of voters that Farage thought rightly belonged to him. Things would get even worse for Farage when the Manchester Evening News revealed his campaign manager, Kevin Moore, had been a former BNP candidate back in 2008. Farage was forced to fire Moore after the press discovered he had stood as a BNP candidate for the East Midlands Parliament. Moore published many articles on his online blog promoting the parties politics and its leader. In a post from July 2010, Moore criticised then-President Michael Howard's decision not to allow Nick Griffin to attend a tea party at Buckingham Palace as an 'attack on democracy.' Another post stated that more than £300million of taxpayers' money was being spent on housing asylum seekers. Moore wrote: "When you read this please bear in mind about the 1 million homeless brits sleeping on the streets. Please feel free to not only voice your opinion but let all those in Whitehall and government how disgraced you are!"

All of Farage’s work trying to distance the Brexit Alliance from UKIP and the remnants of the far-right all came falling down with the Moore revelation. Whilst Moore was promptly sacked from Farage’s top team the damage was already done. Worse for Farage, Moore was sacked hours before the BBC’s Presidential Debate in Sheffield, meaning it was likely to be one of it’s top stories. As candidates and aides began to arrive in Sheffield for the Commonwealth’s first ever seven-way Presidential debate, Farage knew he was going in with a target on his back.

"Nigel Farage is a political force in his own right - a creator of parties, not a cog within them. That rare subspecies of politician seen by voters as distinctive. He took UKIP from the political fringe to centre stage by stitching together a coalition of angry voters from across normal party lines. In the process, he cornered the Tories into promising an EU referendum. His Brexit Alliance is topping the polls for the European Parliament election and easily breaking double digits in the polls. The idea of Brexit is his baby, if anyone is the father. Part of his fury at the political establishment is because they never acknowledged the scale of his achievement. "You can make a convincing case that Nigel Farage is the most influential politician of the modern era," says Professor Matthew Goodwin. "He is responsible for mainstreaming Euroscepticism - and it's all the more impressive because he never reached high office.” - Nigel Farage: The Populist - BBC News (2019)

1608724078733.png

Farage had performed miracles before, could he do it again?

“To what extent did May’s strategy evolve over the 2019 Presidental Election” (30 Marks) - A-Level Politics Exam

Last edited:
2014 Farage “Oh what a luck! The Far-Right Neo-Fascist candidate is on the stage, so I could sound moderate for conservatives voters while retaining my rightwing electorate”
Result: appearing too prone to compromise for right-wingers while sounding dangerously near to the Neo-Nazis for average conservative voter so ruining all his campaign.
2019 Farage “Yep, I have a wonderful idea: let lend MPs to nominate Batten as UKIP candidate so I will present myself as the moderate while...”

Poor little Farage
He’s unable to manage
Every party for which he stood
And that sink all in the mud
First defending Monarchy,
Then leading UKIP to anarchy,
Now it’s BA’s turn,
To crash and burn!
To crash and burn!
And never making return!

The Independent probably, after leftwing newspapers decide to counter The Sun’s lines with word games mocking Ed Balls.

2014 Farage “Oh what a luck! The Far-Right Neo-Fascist candidate is on the stage, so I could sound moderate for conservatives voters while retaining my rightwing electorate”
Result: appearing too prone to compromise for right-wingers while sounding dangerously near to the Neo-Nazis for average conservative voter so ruining all his campaign.
2019 Farage “Yep, I have a wonderful idea: let lend MPs to nominate Batten as UKIP candidate so I will present myself as the moderate while...”

Poor little Farage
He’s unable to manage
Every party for which he stood
And that sink all in the mud
First defending Monarchy,
Then leading UKIP to anarchy,
Now it’s BA’s turn,
To crash and burn!
To crash and burn!
And never making return!

The Independent probably, after leftwing newspapers decide to counter The Sun’s lines with word games mocking Ed Balls.
It's almost as if enabling the far-right for your own political ends is a bad idea, but I digress

Closer Look, 2017 Welsh Parliament Election
After First Minister Owen Smith left to become the Federal Secretary of Wales in 2014, his Cabinet Secretary for Justice Nick Thomas-Symonds, rose to become First Minister, under Premier Alun Michael, the Commonwealth's longest-serving Premier. Thomas-Symonds led a traffic light coalition of Labour, Liberal Democrats and Greens. Thomas-Symonds was a moderately popular First Minister, but voter fatigue had begun to set in amongst Welsh voters and the party's vote held steady. However, with the Greens gone, the Traffic Light coalition no longer had a majority, and Welsh Labour dropped it's Liberal Democrat partners to form a new coalition with Plaid.

Meanwhile, the Conservatives under David Jones saw the fruits of UKIP's civil war, achieving the best result for the Welsh Tories since the financial crisis of 2008. Their leader, David Jones, came from the right of the party and was able to easily appeal to UKIP voters, dismayed at the party's collapse. With help from the national Conservative surge, the Welsh Conservatives more than doubled their seats to 19.

Plaid was led by the left-winger Liz Saville Roberts. Roberts hoped to chart a progressive course away from the moderate Labour Government and Jones' populist Conservatives. Roberts pointed towards the several billion Plaid had won from popping up the Government, arguing the newfound money should be invested in rural Wales where public services were failing. A competent leader, Roberts netted Plaid two extra seats.

As for the minor parties, UKIP was engulfed by civil war. In 2016 a group of five former UKIP legislators led by Garreth Bennet left the party in protest at Nigel Farage and UKIP's central office's power over the Welsh branch of the party, denouncing leader Nathan Gill as a "lackey". they found the "Abolish" party. This led to UKIP collapsing from official opposition to fourth place. Meanwhile, Abolish managed to vault the 4% threshold and hold onto its seats. The Liberal Democrats and Greens both declined due to coalition backlash, with the Greens falling below the 4% threshold.
1608742233349.png

"Five UKIP Wales legislators have founded a party which wants to get rid of the Welsh Parliament. Several Conservative and UKIP councillors have also said they're joining 'Abolish' to campaign for a new referendum on the future of devolution. Explaining his decision, Gareth Bennett said that 'this is now the overriding issue in Wales.' He said the institution "is never going to provide anything of value." "It will only leak money away from frontline services and give work to an overpaid tier of bureaucrats.' Two other new AM have been unveiled, both of whom were elected for UKIP in 2014 - Richard Taylor and Cameron Edwards. They join the first Abolish councillor, Claire Mills, a member of Powys council who switched from the Conservatives. The former deputy chairman of the Welsh Conservatives, Lee Canning, also defected to Abolish." - New party wants to abolish the Welsh Parliament, Adrian Masters, ITV News (2016)

What is up with Abolish TTL? Are there equivalent movements in the other devolved assemblies or is it a bit like monarchism elsewhere? In which case, I wonder what it is about Wales that gives Abolish such a toehold?

What is up with Abolish TTL? Are there equivalent movements in the other devolved assemblies or is it a bit like monarchism elsewhere? In which case, I wonder what it is about Wales that gives Abolish such a toehold?
Partly it's because of the UKIP defectors giving the party a foot in the door. Abolish is more of an identitarian/British national/anti-Plaid party. Up until now, most anti-devolution types tend to vote UKIP or hold their nose and vote Conservative. It's just because Welsh UKIP is such as mess ITTL from all the national interference. There is very little difference between UKIP and Abolish policy-wise, it's basically just "UKIPers who don't like Farage" club.

There have been other anti-devolution parties before, in the early days of the Commonwealth several small anti-federalism parties popped up but they never got anywhere, largely the Conservatives wanted a return to a unitary system up until 2004 so most anti-federalism voters backed the Tories. UKIP and the BNP had always been anti-federalism. The English Democrats are a strange case as they want to abolish the English regions and create a single unitary English Parliament.

Good to see more prominence for Liz Saville Roberts. Of all the politicians I've met, I think she's the one who I have the most admiration for. She's a very kind, human person.

Good to see more prominence for Liz Saville Roberts. Of all the politicians I've met, I think she's the one who I have the most admiration for. She's a very kind, human person.
When I worked in Parliament I was sitting in on a meeting between my boss and a couple of other MPs, the room next door to the meeting was the toilets. One of the MPs came running in saying there was a spy in the building, there was a woman in the toilets next door listening in and speaking on her phone in what they said was Russian.

A load of over-zealous staffers and MPs ran in to confront the "Russian Spy", it was Liz Saville-Roberts. She wasn't speaking Russian she was speaking Welsh. Needless to say, this became a go-to story at many a fundraiser.

When I worked in Parliament I was sitting in on a meeting between my boss and a couple of other MPs, the room next door to the meeting was the toilets. One of the MPs came running in saying there was a spy in the building, there was a woman in the toilets next door listening in and speaking on her phone in what they said was Russian.

A load of over-zealous staffers and MPs ran in to confront the "Russian Spy", it was Liz Saville-Roberts. She wasn't speaking Russian she was speaking Welsh. Needless to say, this became a go-to story at many a fundraiser.
It wouldn’t surprise me if she was actually a spy

That's hilarious.

My only parliament story, during the very short time I worked there, is throwing away a badge from the Holocaust Day Trust. My MSP asked me for it and I told her it had come in the post yesterday but I'd thrown it away as I thought it was just some of the various tat that MSPs receive. She said fair enough and we got on with our days. A few hours later she came to me and said 'I need a holocaust memorial day badge, I don't care how you get one but I need one. Everyone else fucking has one! I'm not being the only MSP without a Holocaust memorial badge! I'm sitting behind the FM in the chamber and I have a question I'm due to ask her, how will it look if I don't have a badge? Get me one!' You see she was absolutely desperate to become a minister and I think she thought that if she didn't have a badge people might think at worst she hated Jewish people, at best she didn't care about the holocaust.

Cue mad scrambling on my part as I raked through the bins and asked around various offices. Eventually, it turned out one of the whips had two so I borrowed one off him. My MSP didn't get her question in the chamber. Later she tried to sack me, I was unpopular amongst SNP Westminster researchers at the time and I think she'd found out, but she couldn't because my contract wouldn't allow it. Nevermind the fact that she was a trade unionist and proud of it. Although to be fair the constant stress of working for a terrible manager made me pretty bad at my job. I did five months then left. She's now a minister so that's great.

I've never met an elected rep I really genuinely liked. Well, apart from Liz Saville-Roberts, And maybe Andy Wightman, although he can be hard work.

Last edited:
That's hilarious.

My only parliament story, during the very short time I worked there, is throwing away a badge from the Holocaust Day Trust. My MSP asked me for it and I told her it had come in the post yesterday but I'd thrown it away as I thought it was just some of the various tat that MSPs receive. She said fair enough and we got on with our days. A few hours later she came to me and said 'I need a holocaust memorial day badge, I don't care how you get one but I need one. Everyone else fucking has one! I'm not being the only MSP without a Holocaust memorial badge! I'm sitting behind the FM in the chamber and I have a question I'm due to ask her, how will it look if I don't have a badge? Get me one!' You see she was absolutely desperate to become a minister and I think she thought that if she didn't have a badge people might think at worst she hated Jewish people, at best she didn't care about the holocaust.

Cue mad scrambling on my part as I raked through the bins and asked around various offices. Eventually, it turned out one of the whips had two so I borrowed one off him. My MSP didn't get her question in the chamber. Later she tried to sack me, I was unpopular amongst SNP Westminster researchers at the time and I think she'd found out, but she couldn't because my contract wouldn't allow it. Nevermind the fact that she was a trade unionist and proud of it. Although to be fair the constant stress of working for a terrible manager made me pretty bad at my job. I did five months then left. She's now a minister so that's great.

I've never met an elected rep I really genuinely liked. Well, apart from Liz Saville-Roberts, And maybe Andy Wightman, although he can be hard work.
That is absolutely insane. Sounds like an episode of "The Thick of It" without any of the stakes.

Most Labour MPs were nice to me but there was a fair bit of factionalism. The only Tory MP who learnt my name and was nice to me was surprisingly Steve Baker. Although I have heard a fair few horror stories about bad bosses, I'm sorry to hear you went through that.

That is absolutely insane. Sounds like an episode of "The Thick of It" without any of the stakes.

That's pretty bang on, legislators are very dramatic people.

If there's an audience for it I've thought about doing a political staffers of Alt History Forum AMA in the AMA part of chat at some point for sharing stories like these

2019 Presidental Debate, Part 1, Opening Statements
1608812776441.png

David Dimbelby had stood down after 30 years at the top of the BBC

The 2019 Debate would be the first not to be hosted by veteran broadcaster David Dimbleby, who had announced his intention to retire after the 2017 Parliamentary Election. Instead it would be hosted by Nick Robinson, a twenty year veteran of the BBC. Taking place from BBC Yorkshire’s studios in Sheffield, expectations were high. Both Miliband and May needed to quash their third parties rivals, whilst remaining dignified and statesman-like, meanwhile third party challengers like Farage and Cable needed to establish themselves as a credible alternative in order to pull ahead, with the polls to close to call, the debate was all to play for.

1608813247104.png

The nation's media would be watching the spectacle intently

The speakers were chosen by lots, with Farage the first to make his opening statement:

“There has never been a time when confidence in politics, politicians and our institutions has been lower then it is right now. And that's because 25 years ago, all the parties on this platform signed up to the disastrous Lisbon and Maastricht Treaties with the idea of ever closer union. They didn't ask you. Most of the parties here want us to stay. Some on here don't even want you to get a vote. Labour has had almost a decade to sort this out and they haven't. The Conservatives want a half-in half-out fudge. I formed the Brexit Alliance because I want to get Brexit done properly. I want us to become an independent nation. That is what the voters want. To leave the institutions of the EU and to be self-governing. Once we've done that, that's just the beginning of a political revolution that needs to happen. The Brexit Alliance are the new radicals. We've got to reform our rotten institutions, like corrupt devolved administrations that waste millions of pounds. Let's get back to proper functioning democracy.”

Whilst all fairly important stuff, Farage failed to mention his campaign’s great boon, immigration, perhaps in an attempt to distance himself from Batten, but he ended up talking about policies of which his voters cared little, a bad start.

1608812882696.png

Farage's charitaristic charm had left him

Miliband was called to speak second.

“It has been hard in the last five years for our country. Syria, Russia, Trump. I’ve had my share of low moments in that time too. But my point in acknowledging hard times is to also to explain what should sustain us and sustain me. I look at our country and the world and I see something more important, more enduring and more powerful, even through the gloom. And that is the values I stand for and the values that Labour stands for. That’s why I am here on a Saturday afternoon. I saw a deeply unequal, divided and unfair country. I changed it. And whatever the hard times, we can change things. When I came to office I saw a country where people’s life chances and the lives they lead were determined by the postcode they are born into. And I changed it, despite the hard times. I saw our NHS, our care for the elderly in peril–and I changed it. Inequality is down, NHS waiting lists are down, life expectancy is up. And we can do so much more, but to do that I need your vote.”

1608813070712.png

Miliband had reinvented himself in Buckingham

Miliband's opening pitch was progressive and optimistic, speaking of the achievements he had made in Government. This was a different Ed from the one who ran in 2014. A more passionate, self-assured President Miliband, and the audience seemed to approve.

“Since 2014 we have seen consumer confidence remain fall, record numbers of businesses shutting down, leading to thousands unemployed. We have seen an increasingly divided Britain, as the President vetoes you, the people, having a say on our membership of the EU. At this moment of enormous national significance, there should be unity here in Westminster, but instead, there is division. The country wants us to come together, but Westminster is not. Miliband's Government has no majority, his own MPs and Senators are leaving him, he leads a seven-party coalition of chaos including radical SNP and Green legislators. Despite this, the business of Government has ground to a halt. The Liberal Democrats want us to join a United States of Europe, the SNP and Plaid Cymru want to dissolve our Commonwealth, the Greens want to scrap the army, yet this President has gotten into bed with all of them. You can stop this, you can say no to the coalition of chaos and yes to strong and stable leadership in the national interest.”

May had found a useful pressure point amongst the electorate, she knew that the voters were tired of the division and instability of the TLC Government, and fears around the Greens and SNP, so she successfully offered herself to end the chaos in Westminster.

1608812571255.png

May promised to bring much-needed stability to the Commonwealth

Heidi Allen was called next

"My name is Heidi Allen and I'm very very proud to be a British businesswoman. "I love my country, it is bursting with innovation and a desire to challenge the status quo. I love that my countrymen want to share their talents and their discoveries to make the world a better place and to tackle inequalities. My countrymen make my head and my heart fizz with possibilities. I want to feel that way in Westminster too. I am tired of feeling numb. A few weeks ago alongside my wonderful colleagues, I resigned from the Conservative Party. Under George Osborne and his Big Society the party, like me, was ambitious for the country. But under Theresa and Amber it has once again become the nasty party. I can no longer represent a party who can't open their eyes to the suffering endured by the most vulnerable in society. So I came together with friends from the Labour Party to make something new. Politics doesn't have to be like this, endless division, irresponsible spending, callous leaders. We can be kind, and we can be responsible, if like me you are crying out for change, I ask for your vote."

1608813165617.png

Allen was completely unknown going into the debate

People had high hopes for Allen, as a virtual unknown, the debate was essential for her to introduce herself to the public. Whilst her speech wasn’t, it was fairly generic, similar to the polished speeches of the other politicians, she’d need to do a lot better than that to break through.

Then it was Bartley’s turn to speak.

“The spark of dissent against climate breakdown was lit many years ago. By activists struggling against oil extraction in the global south. By Green politicians saying the unsayable - that an economy built on fossil fuels has catastrophic implications. And that spark has become a wildfire of revolt. With extinction rebellion taking the streets, - and more Green Politicians being elected than ever before. Look at the numbers of people taking climate action and forcing governments to sit up and take notice. Seven Million on the global climate strike. 200,000 on the streets of London. Nearly 300 different strikes across Britain. And the vast, vast majority of people saying the main parties aren't doing enough. I am here to be the megaphone of that movement To give those people a political voice. And turn those demands into action. By voting to make the climate crisis a political imperative, you will define the issue of our times. So please, if you agree with me that climate breakdown is the most important issue facing our country, I need your vote.”

1608812714976.png

Bartley failed to mention the anti-austerity politics that had made the Greens popular in the first place

Bartley’s speech was decent, but like Allen, it didn’t really enfuse swing voters or those who weren’t already on his side. His years spent in Miliband’s Government dampened the radical message of his speech somewhat.

After Bartley, Batten rose to speak.

“Fact: Charities estimate that there are some 6,000 homeless veterans on Britain’s streets. Fact: In the year 2018, some 7,000 homes were given to asylum seekers. Fact: At the beginning of November the Home Office proposed moving extremists to the top of council housing waiting lists. Given the situation of our homeless veterans, such a suggestion is outrageous! And you know what, there is an alternative: change the law! The Treason Act should be taken out of the Public Order Act and made fit for purpose against returning Jihadi fighters. If they have been fighting for this country’s enemies, the answer is not to prosecute them as the traitors they are. The human cost of serving our Armed Forces is not only paid in blood, pain and anguish on the battlefield. It goes well beyond. Unlike all the other candidates on this stage, I will always stand up for our servicemen, I will always put them first, before asylum seekers, as I will always put this country first. If you believe in putting Britain first, then there's only one choice on your ballot.”

1608812946709.png

Many expected Batten to impload in the debate

Whilst Batten’s claim about returning Daesh fighters being put at the top of waiting lists was a straight up lie, it was clever to use the military as a crux for his argument. Batten knew he had to avoid his campaign being seen as extreme, and by using the military as a shield he could hide behind a veneer of respectability.

Finally Cable was asked to speak.

1608813355690.png

The Liberal Democrats had lost the Sheffield Mayoralty in 2014 and wanted to take the city back

“Many of the big issues which will dominate the future are being put on one side: postponed, ignored, neglected. The Conservative Party was, until recently, a broad church; but now it is narrowing to a party of English nationalism. The UKippers are taking over that hollowed out, geriatric, structure and those that don’t fit in are being pushed aside. This is a mirror image of what has already happened to the Labour Party. The problems of the main parties are not just a problem for them, but for all of us. These are the problems and we are all too familiar with them. But there’s no reason for giving up. The massive challenge we face now is to create an alternative to the politics of fear and division. A President with liberal and social democratic values; but is also grounded in the political reality and experience of Government and running things. I can be that President, and by taking a stand with me, you can make this country a better place.”

At nearly 80 Cable was not the best speaker in the hall, nor was he the most accomplished debater. His condemnation of both main parties fell flat when he had served in coalition with both of them, and he struggled to cut through to a wider audience.

1608812649160.png

Cable was by far the oldest candidate on stage

“To what extent was the Miliband administration a “coalition of chaos” (30 Marks)” - A Level Politics Exam

Maybe I lost something, but who is Bartley’s running mate? And Batten’s one?
Apologies, I didn't have time to do a full wikibox unfortunately for the remianing candidates
  • Allen's running mate is Anglia MP Gavin Shuker
  • Batten's running mate is Yorkshire Senator Mike Hookem
  • Bartley's running mate is Former First Minister of Scotland Derek MacKay