The Dominion of Northern America: sibling to a stillborn Canada v2

OK, I am rebooting this timeline.

In 1857, James, an Southern American* slave, ran and ran through the thick forests that made up the Pacific Northwest. His clothes were torn and his skin was sratched and there was a quite big wound on one leg. He was trying to escape the American nation and its slavery. His goal was the Dominion of Northern America, a nation where he can be free. Unfortunately he fell and died barely two metres from the border. He was just one of many that attempted to get North of the Border. An Northern American* farmer that was passing by, brought his body to an town in the Dominion, and buried him there. His grave, in a hundred years, would be a memorial for the "Dark Days".

*OOC: Northern and Southern American means one of the Dominion of Northern America's citizens and a citizen/slave of the Federation of American Republics respectively.

OOC: So what do you think?

Last edited:
DrTron

Could be interesting although we will need more details to know how things develop please? You might also cause some confusion when using those terms as it makes it a bit awkward referring to Mexico and points south, which will no doubt have some impact on the development of the two states.

Steve

OK, I am rebooting this timeline.

In 1857, James, an Southern American* slave, ran and ran through the thick forests that made up the Pacific Northwest. His clothes were torn and his skin was sratched and there was a quite big wound on one leg. He was trying to escape the American nation and its slavery. His goal was the Dominion of Northern America, a nation where he can be free. Unfortunately he fell and died barely two metres from the border. He was just one of many that attempted to get North of the Border. An Northern American* farmer that was passing by, brought his body to an town in the Dominion, and buried him there. His grave, in a hundred years,

*OOC: Northern and Southern American means one of the Dominion of Northern America's citizens and a citizen/slave of the Federation of American Republics respectively.

OOC: So what do you think?

DrTron

Could be interesting although we will need more details to know how things develop please? You might also cause some confusion when using those terms as it makes it a bit awkward referring to Mexico and points south, which will no doubt have some impact on the development of the two states.

Steve
Mexico will be annexed to the Federation of American Republics save for Yucatan. So there will be no problem.

Last edited:
That always helps.

DrTron

Would agree that would help. The main thing is seeing how those borders are generated and what changes occurs. Sounds like a version of Glen's TL with a markedly larger Canada [aka Dominion of N America], later on if not initially.

The fact that Mexico is annexed to the FAR doesn't mean potential complications with the America's further south. Going to make for a radically different US to OTL however.

Good that its not going to follow the DoD track. Also that slavery will end, although it sounds like it could linger in at least part of the FAR for a while.

Steve

DrTron

Would agree that would help. The main thing is seeing how those borders are generated and what changes occurs. Sounds like a version of Glen's TL with a markedly larger Canada [aka Dominion of N America], later on if not initially.
It will borrow lightly from that in terms of ideas.
stevep said:
The fact that Mexico is annexed to the FAR doesn't mean potential complications with the America's further south. Going to make for a radically different US to OTL however.
I am planning for a War of Two Americas between the UAR and a Federated Commonwealth of America in Peru, Gran Colombia and Centroamerica. That will make the UAR lose Yucatan.

stevep said:
Good that its not going to follow the DoD track. Also that slavery will end, although it sounds like it could linger in at least part of the FAR for a while.

Steve
Thanks!

How possible is a Free City of New York? Ot would be a Canadian protectate.

DrTron

Just the city I suspect would be unlikely. It would really need some hinterland I think. Likely at least to control a good chunk of Long Island and also some of the neighbouring mainland. However it depends on what's happening around it. The fact you're talking about a possible Canadian/DNA protectorate suggests that the latter reaches at least that far down the coast.

Small states in the modern age are possible, Singapore and some of the Gulf states for instance. It could be formally independent but on very good terms with it's neighbour(s). Also it depends on the basis of it's economy. A vibrant economy makes a lot of things possible.;)

Steve

DrTron

Just the city I suspect would be unlikely. It would really need some hinterland I think. Likely at least to control a good chunk of Long Island and also some of the neighbouring mainland. However it depends on what's happening around it. The fact you're talking about a possible Canadian/DNA protectorate suggests that the latter reaches at least that far down the coast.

Small states in the modern age are possible, Singapore and some of the Gulf states for instance. It could be formally independent but on very good terms with it's neighbour(s). Also it depends on the basis of it's economy. A vibrant economy makes a lot of things possible.;)

Steve
Thanks! I was thinking of NYC plus some hinterland.

Ok, to bump this thread up, I presentb the first official map of the North American continent in this TL. This is the continent after the Mexican-American War.

DoNA.png

Ok, to bump this thread up, I presentb the first official map of the North American continent in this TL. This is the continent after the Mexican-American War.

DrTron

Very interesting. So if that is after a FAR/Mexican conflict but later the FAR includes most of Mexico either there is a later one or some peaceful combination?

A markedly larger Oregon which will probably be a source of contention, especially since it is shared/disputed between three powers judging by the colours. Plus Russian Alaska looks larger.

Looks like Canada/DNA has a border that includes most of New York state, Ohio and the other regions north of the Ohio west to a point a little up the Mississippi then two straight lines west with a shift northwards. Suspect the area west of the shift was once part of Mexico prior to the war?

Not quite sure why New York city itself is independent as it was a lot more loyalist that most of New England to its north but see what you come up with for the background story.:D

Steve

Last edited:
DrTron

Very interesting. So if that is after a FAR/Mexican conflict but later the FAR includes most of Mexico either there is a later one or some peaceful combination?
Yep, through a war the UAR will annex Mexico. This will ultimately kill slavery in the UAR, but for the moment slavery benefits from it.
A markedly larger Oregon which will probably be a source of contention, especially since it is shared/disputed between three powers judging by the colours. Plus Russian Alaska looks larger.
Yes! I want Russia and the UAR make a secret deal to divide it up. Ultimaltely, the Oregon is divided up in three.

Looks like Canada/DNA has a border that includes most of New York state, Ohio and the other regions north of the Ohio west to a point a little up the Mississippi then two straight lines west with a shift northwards. Suspect the area west of the shift was once part of Mexico prior to the war?
Yes it was part of Mexico before the American-Mexican War.

Not quite sure why New York city itself is independent as it was a lot more loyalist that most of New England to its north but see what you come up with for the background story.:D

Steve

A Failed first American Revolution leads to more people immigrating to New York, as it becomes the capital of the Province of New England after a reshuffling of borders. Rebel sentiments rises up there more, but they do not like the UAR due to slavery, so they declare the Free City of New York. Ironically, it becomes a part of the Dominion of Northern America after a Depression in the 1900s.

A Failed first American Revolution leads to more people immigrating to New York, as it becomes the capital of the Province of New England after a reshuffling of borders. Rebel sentiments rises up there more, but they do not like the UAR due to slavery, so they declare the Free City of New York. Ironically, it becomes a part of the Dominion of Northern America after a Depression in the 1900s.

Interesting, but surely if a city (NYC in this example) is very loyalist during ARW1, and in fact during the war essentially ejects most of its "patriots" and replaces them with loyalist refugees, then the war is lost and the loyalists are therefore the "winning side", anyone without at least mildly pro-British feeling is going to avoid that city like the plague? It'd become the heart of pro/anti-British tensions, and probably the capital of pro-British sentiment.

My take, anyway.