TLIAD: Three Presidents and a Princess

19 de Junio, 1865

El Paso, Nuevo México

The slave bent down and shined his master’s shoes, trying hard not to listen to what was being said. It was not his business. They learned him to be meek, not a sneak.

“Governor, the President of México is here to see you,” said one of the master’s attendants.

“He is free to enter,” responded the master silkily.

At least that’s what it sounded like. He wanted to hear the word. Free. Did he hear it? Or was it just his imagination? Still mastering the language of the master race, he mused. These days he was only sarcastic in his thoughts, lest he meet the lash. Oh, how the lash haunted his dreams. He was very proud that he had been ignoring the conversation between his master and the Mexican President; lost in his thoughts, he hardly noticed anyone enter.

“The white men are strong and stubborn,” the Mexican was saying, “but not as strong as they thought.” He was clearly of Indian blood.

“Have you any news from the capital?”

“Washington, you mean?” There were three capitals nowadays, but during most of the war there had been far more.

“No, Taos,” the master said, rolling his eyes. “Of course I mean Washington. How is the President of the United States?”

“Not well. He is very sick. I have not seen him since mid-April. Rogers seems to be running things out of his kitchen cabinet.”

“Well, that is of little concern. I will telegraph any major decisions to Tiana then. What did you do with our Austrian friend?” the master asked.

“O Governor, Porfirio told me he is a Prussian. The General sends him to you as a gift,” the Mexican responded, and beckoned towards the entrance to the tent. Four guardsmen brought in a man with a great shaggy head of white hair, and an even greater beard. He seemed exhausted and not fully conscious.

The master’s eyes opened wide. “This is the man who troubled us so?” He guffawed. “He looks like your Santa Claus! That’s what you call him, yes? Your Nast couldn’t have done it better himself, ¿qué no?”

The Mexican seemed confused, until one of his men mumbled, “Papá Noel.”

“Ay, yes. Yes, he does! I am unfamiliar with this Nast.¨ the Mexican said apologetically.

“Nast is a New Yorker, from-” the bearded man murmured, before suddenly stopping. It was the first English the slave had heard in a long while; the man sounded more British than German, really. It was difficult to tell exactly where the hair ended and the beard began. His skin was sagging as if the man was at least four score, but he was less than fifty years old. The reason was likely a sudden change in corpulence.

There was a long pause. The master was rarely corrected in such settings, least of all by a prisoner of war.

The master broke the silence, switching back to Spanish. “Nuevo York, Nuevo México, Nuevo Leon, we’re all one American family here,” he said with a wink. All laughed save the Mexican President. The master continued, with a trace of disappointment in his eyes vanishing as he turned towards the President. “After all, that’s what the war was all about. It was not about those Oriental tales of yours about your Christ,” he complained, wagging a finger at the prisoner as if his unkempt beard was a Christian tradition.

The prisoner chortled weakly. “I’m a Jew. I never thought that’d help me in captivity before.”

The master’s mouth dropped open. “A Jew? You look different than the ones I know in Taos.” He peered closely at the captive, who seemed somewhat surprised to find there were any Jews in Nuevo México at all, let alone ones acquainted with the good master.

The captive mumbled, “I heard the San Diego pretender is a Jew as well.”

The master’s face unexpectedly softened. “Ay ¿pues se conoce querido Jesús? Dear Josh is a rather harmless friend of ours.” The master’s dark eyes were glittering with delight. “I once received a letter from him giving me permission to rule over this land in exchange for one of my daughters. I wrote back giving him the governorship of Alta California for his cheek! After all, what is the point of wealth and power if one cannot give them away?”

“The pen is mightier than the sword,” the prisoner supposedly called Carlito said with unnatural strength.

“Little words in the papers, that’s all you do. You were offered amnesty thrice. Why are you so stubborn?”

Instead of answering, the Carlito said, “The powers of international capital demand chattel slavery be abolished-”

“Excuse me?” The master’s tone had shifted from playful to cool. “Is it still 1845? You white men brought slavery to this continent. We ended it.”

“England or France may not care whether you call it peonage, but slavery by another name is-”

“I beg your pardon?” The master’s voice was ice itself. “Slavery was forever abolished on this continent the minute we liberated the Negros.” He kicked the prisoner in his fat face. His face scrunched up into a snarl.

The gag rule. Images of a world long forgotten, of marble halls and walls, rushed forth before the image of an angry master banished them again. Ice had turned molten, and the master was now ranting and raving.

“And I do not have time to be talking to people nobody has ever heard of! You should thank your God I do not pull your tongue out!” the master angrily exclaimed.

“I do not believe in any religion. It is the peyote of the masses.”

“I have no more patience for the insults of a captured Jew!” He motioned the guards. “Not that there’s anything wrong with that,” the master added hastily to no one in particular. As the protesting prisoner was taken away by two guards, he turned towards the Mexican. “Though many a traitorous Mexican certainly thought so, didn’t they Mr. President?”

“Indeed, they did. But they were wrong. I am grateful for the positions you have provided me in your wisdom, O Governor.”

“I cannot provide anything,” chuckled the master. “You know how and where we decide these things in a democratic manner. You are the best suited for your roles. In fact, it is a good thing you never left your Christian tomfoolery behind you. Last night we decided, unanimously, of course, to reward you for your patriotism.”

The Mexican seemed a bit taken aback. “A reward? I was doing my duty to la patría. That is all.”

“Are you prepared for the trip back to Washington?”

If Benito Juárez was looking forward to the trip, he did not show it. “Am I to leave immediately?”

“Now that the rebellion is over, you should be able to make it for the swearing-in ceremony. You know how the Yankee is a stickler for tradition. Isn’t that right, young Jaff?”

Surprise at being addressed could not subsume the sudden rage which had filled the slave’s black heart. He wanted to say a thousand things, but didn’t. He wanted to say, Washington is a Southern city. Instead, he said, “Of course, Governor.”

“Yes. Mr. President of México, how would you like to be Vice President of the United States?” The master suppressed a giggle, clearly pleased with himself.

“Vice President? Again?”

The master looked at him, with mock reproach glinting in his dark eyes. “You’re a stern man, Benito Juárez! I wouldn’t recognize you if you smiled! That’s your only vice. And you are our only Vice. If you laughed a little more, you’d live a lot longer! Then you could enjoy a fourth term! Were you always so glum, or did years of war make it so?”

“It’s just that--I have already been Vice President of the United States for eight years, and-”

“You will also be the Liberal candidate in the next Mexican election,” said the master in his accented Spanish, as if Juárez had never spoken. Even the slave didn’t notice the code-switching; Juárez’s stone mask had slipped into a rare smile, rendering him nigh-unrecognizable.

“Muchísimas gracias gobernador.” The United States forbade statewide officials from federal office (except in the savage state of Nuevo Jersey), but México was technically a different country.

“No, thank you for the lovely gift. How dangerous is he?”

“Carlos Marx? Mostly harmless. We caught him fleeing the battle. The Texian Germans rallied to his prose, not his person. I doubt anyone will remember him before long.”

“Good, good,” the master said absentmindedly. “Anything else?”

“Before leaving Washington, I met with former president Martin van Buren. He asked me about if the proposed Constitutional-”

“That matter is one we can discuss away from the ears of prying peons. Hasta la próxima, Benito. You are free to go,” the master concluded, nodding to his servant. The President nodded back, and started to leave.

Free. That word again. Perhaps one day the master will free me. Perhaps. But I best stop eavesdropping.

“The war is over! And here I thought it would last thirty years.” The master seemed to be talking more to himself than to anyone else. He gave a sudden grin. “Oh, I almost forgot. You can take that one as a fair trade. One paleface peon for another.”

The slave was silently startled. The master was pointing at him. He hardly expected the war to end anytime soon, but he never thought his master would ever give him away as if he were a mere rug. This changes everything. Disdain and self-loathing creeped into his chest, spreading throughout his body until it reached his fingertips and toenails. How many masters much I serve before I meet St. Peter? In theory his enslavement would end eventually; the old ways ended when Washington was sacked. He still remembered the color of the dress he had hidden in that day. The Reds will not free you, he thought. You are a symbol to all white men who dare to stand up to the Indian and Negro . He stopped himself. Thinking in English again. They won’t ever free you at that rate. You’re an idiot, Jefferson Davis.

April 14, 1865

The White House, Washington, District of Comancheria

The President of the United States was bedridden. They said he would never recover. But they had said that before. After San Jacinto. As long as Tiana is here, he thought, all is well.

“Sam,” she seemed to be saying. Her beautiful face was hazy above him. “Sam. Sam Houston!”

The use of his full name stirred him. But when he awake, no one was there but the butler.

“Robert… fetch me the First Lady.” Sam was nearly ready. Before, the old friend scared him. But now he was ready to meet his old friend.

“Tiana left for Texas, Mr. President,” said the butler, whose white beard was turning into a ghost every few seconds.

“...T-Texas?” the President croaked. “Texas? That damn place took my leg. Why would she go there?”

“Mr. President, remember the summit? She is representing you in place of that damn Indian-”

The slight gave the President some solidity. “Do not besmirch Benito, Robert. You still cling to the old ways. This is their continent now.” Suddenly the room began to melt. “Please send for my wife.”

“Mr. President, your wife is in-”

“My son… our son… send for Will.”

“Mr. President? Mr. President!”

That was the last thing Sam Houston heard for a very long time. He dreamed he was back at former president Johnson’s funeral, but instead of Julia Chinn doing the eulogy it was old man van Buren. When the former president spoke, snakes fell out of his Dutch mouth. Suddenly he was the traitor Calhoun on the Senate floor. We cannot annex all of Mexico. King Andrew will ruin us. ruin us. ruin us..

Sam awoke with a start. He thought he saw the face of Will Rogers Houston swimming above him. It was the last thing he saw for many weeks.

Oh, what is happening here? Something terrible, no doubt. Who is this Gobernador in New Mexico, and how did he become the master of one country pretending to be two?

District of Comancheria, not Columbia... Davis mentioning the Reds (as opposed to Marxists)... Is this actually an Indian reconquest of North America? Is the Gobernador Quanah Parker or something?

Last edited:
15 de Agosto, 1872

Tenōchtitlan, Estados Unidos Mexicanos

Kwana Nocona did not want to speak; her Spanish was too rusty. When her father abdicated, she didn’t expect her first task as Governor of Nuevo México would be funeral duty. But it had all happened so fast. The President’s death came as a sudden shock. Most expected him to last another term or two. The country’s elite rushed down from Taos to the old capital as quickly as possible. The deceased insisted his funeral take place in the place once known as México City. He moved everything to Taos after Napoleon’s invasion, but he was Mexican until the end. To his dying breath he always tried to get the capital moved back to what the gringos called the State of Old Mexico.

“Benito Juárez was a great man. A Zapotec from Oaxaca, he became the first man to be President of México and the United States. By his person he sealed the war-forged unity of our nations. He not only gave us a new, liberal Constitution but in war he guaranteed our liberty by defending us from European aggression. He liberated Cuba and Puerto Rico. He ended the scourge of slavery brought to us by Columbus and endorsed by the antipopes. Some in the crowd shifted in their seats uneasily, probably due to the mention of the peculiar institution more than Kwana’s denigration of the idiotic Italian. He thought we were Eurasians.

If this upset Giuseppe Garibaldi, he did not show it. The Italian President was busily ignoring the furious whispers from his left by his Irish counterpart. The young President Napoleon edged into the empty seat between them. Something was amiss; the seat was not the Frenchwoman’s. Plain papist nonsense, no doubt. How many Popes are there these days? Avignon, Rome, Santiago de Compostela, and… Kwana had forgotten old Pius himself in Río de Janeiro as she continued to speak.

“Benito finished our Reconquista. He ensured American republics would remain so by defending us in the Great War. With the Peace of Panama we ensured our current era of US-Brazilian friendship. He will live in the heart of all Americans.” He doubted Emperor Pedro would ever give up the Pope who broke the Church. For two years that old man stalled on that damn peace treaty. Even Max got tired of Pius IX’s Viennese vacation. But Benito joked the propaganda value of a pissed-off Pius was worth a garrison of Garibaldis. Was it out of caution Pedro II of Brazil stayed away from here, or disrespect? Princess Cristina came, but a firstborn daughter is still a daughter in this world. Kwana intended to change that if she could. Her heart suddenly froze.

The charismatic French Empress caught Kwana’s eye. Her green, droopy eyes and slender figure interested Kwana far more than the words spilling out of her mouth. Kwana felt numb and woozy. Louisa Napoleon drifted away from the Europeans and towards the legendary Haitian Consuls. Kwana was glad for it. Aside from France, none of the European monarchies sent anyone to the funeral besides their dreary ambassadors. Even Russia. The Austrian Emperor did have a good excuse, to be fair. Max keeled over about a month before Benito did. Men, men, men. The names and faces change, and titles too. But whether a palefaced pope or a Comanche cacique, men will be men.

Her eyes still following Louisa Napoleon, Kwana hardly noticed that Princess Cristina got up to use the baño. This revealed a key flaw in the diplomatic funeral arrangement, whose plans were only lightly dusted off from their original state five years ago. The charismatic Cristina was seated between Paraguay and Buenos Aires. Before 1870, this would have been OK. Now it risked another ill-timed brawl. Vale, pues nada. She droned on. “Benito grew more jocular by the end; perhaps he would have even enjoyed the mistake. That was supposed to be Argentina’s spot, she whined to herself. We can support the Guaraní in their conquest of the Confederación Argentina, but we can’t even update our alphabetical order properly?

A quick shush from Haitian Consul Harriet Tubman to the Southern Cone rivals quelled what could have been a bitter bit of buffoonery. Kwana gave her a grateful nod, and met the eyes of her co-consul Frederick Douglass. The Haitian Consul nodded encouragingly. His fierce mane of hair was purring in the breeze, slightly hitting the side of the Supreme Protector Túpac Shakur Salaverry. The young Inka Qhapaq enjoyed the breeze too much to care. It’s quite fresco here; I never wish to go to Taos again. Benito was right, we ought to have changed the capital back after Russia helped the British exit from the war. It still stung that Russia did not send Prince Alexander, or something. In the Great War, Alexander II proved the greatest friend the Old World sent the New. Although I think our world is the older one, she thought quite correctly.

She gazed at the handsome young Supreme Protector. Santa Cruz and Douglass share their blood as much as I do. Why do they hate us? The South American was seated next to her father, who had a stern look on his face in order to mask his ill health. His chain mail was gleaming in the sun. Her father lent it to her when the war’s hour seemed darkest, in Canada. His words rang in her ears. “Your grandfather gave this to me, after we liberated Washington. He did not believe women should fight. Neither do I. It is not our way. But if we do not kill the palefaces from beyond the seas, we will have no traditions left.”

The criollos from the continent were noted as well. The absences of New Granada and Central America were expected; Venezuela’s cancellation came too late. What a waste of food. (Speaking of criollo republics, Jefferson Davis was there too, but his brief tenure atop what had been Calhoun’s confederacy of dunces didn’t count for a hill of beans.) The palefaces still despise us, for a conquest which began before I was born. Even Alexander the Liberator is still a Eurasian paleface at the end of the day. Though he helped both of us win our freedom in the Great War, the Tsar treats us American and Asian Indians as if we are backwards people. Just because we respect our traditions.

Traditions like peonage, Kwana thought bitterly as she spoke. That is slavery too, but the elders disagree. Six of one, half dozen of the other. The debate over that seemed to get louder by the day. That is why they are uncomfortable. Her next few sentences rang hollow. These lines were supposed to be about how Juárez was the first President the Comanche bands truly respected. Her father insisted this would anger the other two major bands. Everyone knew the President did whatever the bands wanted.

At least, whatever the Governor of Nuevo México told them, she thought slyly. Since the bands decided things democratically, many decisions took a great deal of time. Juárez and her father were very close, and sometimes moved when a debate wasn’t finished. Many among the bands did not like that kind of strength, even from an Indian President. I will need their support, if I aim to do what I mean to do. Slavery must be ended for good.

Kwana ended her eulogy to polite applause. She did not know Benito as well as her father did. As she took her seat, the Vice President began his remarks. She couldn’t quite remember his real last name name. The Californian was seen as a bit of a joke in the Comanche capital; Governor Moonbeam was his Taoseño nickname. Apparently, he wanted to build a bridge to the moon. She recalled his name started with a J. Moonbeam praised Benito as if they had been dear friends. A happy face. Too happy. With a jolt, Kwana realized he was not the Vice President. This man is now President. “It matters not,” her father’s voice echoed. “As the jester says, the President ‘is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it.’”

“...and of course... Though it persists by another name, he did much to end the stain of slavery,” Jesús continued.

“You lie!” It was Jeff Davis. “Peonage is slavery!” There were gasps and boos, cheers and jeers.

“Slavery is history!” shouted Louisa Napoleon. Suddenly Kwana’s heart turned to shards. No no no NO. You could not be more wrong!!

“History is nothing but assisted and recorded memory,” cried out a boy in response. “Yet even a clever nine year-old boy like me can remember slaves. I can see them now.” He pointed. He pointed everywhere. The Haitian Consuls both stood up at this.

“The child is right,” they said in unison.

The President held up his hand with a surprisingly regal grace for silence. Incredibly, it came. “Yes. He is. What’s your name, son?”

“Jorge,” said the boy with unnatural confidence for one with such a thick Spanish accent.

“I go by Jesús in this land of ours. Jesús Norton.” President Moonbeam’s accent was a terrible British one. He turned to Jefferson Davis. “You would know, wouldn’t you? Did you not serve as both slaver and slave in the past? Once this business of funerals and done and I am settled in the presidential chair, my first order of business as president will be to abolish peonage.”

Davis’ response could not be heard amidst the uproar. The Haitians were beaming, the Europeans screaming – hopefully in delight, although Kwana’s soaring heart took no difference between friend or foe. Even the French temptress vanished from her minds. Kwana heard her father saying, “he has no right, no right to do anything of the sort! The bands will never allow a puppet president to start dancing on his own! He has no power over us!” Kwana Nocona smiled. He really is as mad as they say. What a bold man. Father is right. Alone, he is nothing. But he is not alone… If he can help me free our people, all of our people, from this tradition, I will reward him.

But what could he possibly want?

"The fact that Comanches did things differently may well have been one of their greatest political assets. Their ability to move nimbly from raiding to trading, from diplomacy to violence, and from enslaving to adoption not only left their colonial rivals confused; it often left them helpless." - Pekka Hämäläinen, The Comanche Empire (The Lamar Series in Western History.)
~
OTL Comancheria maps attached for reference.

Attachments

• comancheria.jpg
    comancheria.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 276
I-WANT-MORE
Been busy lately but this may clear some things up:

Despite Martin van Buren winning the plurality of the Electoral College in both 1836 and 1840, the House is unable to select a candidate. The Senate elects two acting presidents during this period. What could go wrong?

Presidents of the United States
1829-1837 Andrew Jackson (Democratic) [POD]
1837-1841 Richard Mentor Johnson (Democratic) [1]
1841-1842 Antonio López de Santa Anna (National Union) [2]
1842-1843 Martin van Buren (Democratic)
1843 Antonio López de Santa Anna (Liberal) [3]
1843-1844 Martin van Buren (Democratic)
1844 Antonio López de Santa Anna (Liberal)

1844-1845 Martin van Buren (Liberal Democratic)
1845 Davy Crockett (Whig) [4]
1845-1846 William Henry Harrison (Whig) [5]
1846-1847 John Davis (Whig) [6]

1847-1848 Antonio López de Santa Anna (National Union) [7]
1848-1856 Joseph Smith (Native American)
1856-1865 Sam Houston (Native American)

1865-1872 Benito Juárez (Native American)
1872-1880 Jesús Norton (Native American)

Emperors of the United States
1880-1901 Norton I
1901-1911 Kwana I
1911-1930 Kwana II
1930-1979 Sánchez Cerro I
1979 Norton Kwana I
1980-2001 Norton Kwana II [8]
2001-2008 Sánchez Cerro II [9]

Note: Emperor is a gender-neutral title.

[POD] First major POD is President Jackson accidentally conquering Mexico after the Texian defeat at San Jacinto.
[1] Due to the toll of the Third Anglo-American War on the Acting President's health, First Lady Julia Ann Chinn served as de facto Acting President during much of this time.
[2] Many Anglo-Saxon Senators were wary of electing Santa Anna, even with the promise of a rotating acting presidency with Van Buren. But they were more concerned with the military garrison stationed outside of the Capitol building.
[3] Due to the fall of Washington to the Calhounistas (with generous support from the UK Royal Army, courtesy of His Majesty King Ernest Augustus), the US capital was moved to Mexico City in late 1843.
[4] First President elected by the popular vote following the adoption of the liberal constitution. The popular war hero died in Mississippi during the Great Revolution.
[5] Due to illness, Secretary of State Webster served as de facto Acting President during much of this time. Later made a full recovery only to die peacefully in his sleep.
[6] Overthrown in a golpe de estado.
[7] The last Santa Anna presidency began with a coup. It ended when he and Iron Jacket signed the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
[8] Assassinated in the suspicious 2001 royal massacre.
[9] Became ceremonial ruler after 2005 due to political instability. Monarchy abolished in 2008.