"To Introduce our Guest Star, that's What I'm Here to Do..." The Hensonverse Fan Contribution Thread

1 October 1998
I just got out of a phone call that I had with Frank about the script that Joey wrote for Muppets from space which was also a call to him about me asking him if he would be able to take part in the film as miss piggy fozzie Sam and animal at least physically and much like muppets impossible he told me that he was too busy this time with a film adaptation of the book Harry Potter and the philosopher’s stone and that much like what happened with muppets impossible Kevin would be standing in for him on miss piggy animal and Sam while a new puppeteer that I met yesterday at the local tulip festival named Eric Jacobson would be filling in for fozzie and that he would be adding his voice later on again much like what he did for muppets impossible and while I trust Kevin with all my heart to do a good piggy animal and Sam it will be my first time seeing Eric perform as fozzie which will be interesting can’t wait for principle photography to start.
Steve Whitmire
note may not align with the current placement of the Henson verse but hey have at ya

The post documenting Too Late with Miss Piggy stated that Eric took over many of Frank's characters after the first few episodes, so I'm guessing his tenure as both started in 1996 ITTL.

EDIT: Also, TTL's Harry Potter is called Harry Fletcher.

Last edited:
The post documenting Too Late with Miss Piggy stated that Eric took over many of Frank's characters after the first few episodes, so I'm guessing his tenure as both started in 1996 ITTL.

EDIT: Also, TTL's Harry Potter is called Harry Fletcher.
I didn’t say it was going to be a perfect post

I just want to give you some corrections to improve your post. I like the idea of a post told from the perspective of a Muppet performer.

And plus, while there is the Speculation and Commentary threat for this, I also would like to point out that in regards to Harry Fletcher, I'm planning to extensively cover the books and movies of that series in future.

All right, my first attempt at a guest post.

Article by Tommy Maguire [1] for Maguire's Two Cents, March 30, 2022.
Guest post by @Trevor807; idea by @Shockeye7665

The Muppets have delighted audiences for more than 65 years. They have starred in many television series over the years, most famously “Sesame Street” (which has run since 1969) and “The Muppet Show”. In 2015, Walt Disney Television and NBC brought us “Muppet Quiz”, bringing the Muppets to primetime for the first time since “Too Late with Miss Piggy”, and in time for their 60th anniversary. The Muppeteer lineup of Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta, David Rudman, Matt Vogel, Kevin Clash, Peter Linz, Karen Prell, Wayne Brady, Leslie Carrara-Rudolph, Donna Kimball, Alice Dinnean et al joined in for the ride, while Muppets creator and former Disney chairman Jim Henson served as an executive producer and creative consultant. Clash and Barretta, along with Kirk Thatcher, were the showrunners, and Whitmire, Goelz, Clash and Prell were frequent directors as well.

Like “Too Late”, “Muppet Quiz” sought to modernize the classic “Muppet Show” formula, with Kermit (Whitmire) returning as host after leaving hosting duties to Miss Piggy (Jacobson) in “Too Late”, and of course, trying to keep the show from falling apart. This time, though, “Muppet Quiz” was more of a panel show in the vein of “Match Game”, with a rotation of six Muppets every week.

IMG_3629.jpeg
+
IMG_3630.jpeg

= Muppet Quiz

Of course, the actual “gameplay” (which involves two human guest stars) took a backseat to the classic Muppet antics going on. Statler (Whitmire) and Waldorf (Barretta), the Muppets’ resident critics, continued their usual brand of heckling from their front-row seats, Fozzie Bear (Jacobson) told bad jokes for those two old coots to roast at like in the old days, and Gonzo (Goelz) found new ways to perform insane yet cultured stunts. Making his TV debut was announcer and sidekick Walter (Linz), who introduced the panelists, players and Kermit; sometimes, he'd join in the panel as well[2], though he was nothing compared to his twin sister Wendy (Prell) when it comes to mixing snark with energy.[3]

In Muppet tradition, the guest stars themselves each had their own skits as well, whether it's actor, voice actor and director Jude Barsi bonding with Uncle Deadly (Vogel) and Zondra (Carrara-Rudolph, taking over for the retired Fran Brill), singer Ariana Grande attracting the jealousy of vain diva Miss Piggy (Jacobson) simply for talking to Kermit, or game show host Alex Trebek briefly taking over hosting duties before realizing that trying to get the Muppets under control is easier said than done. Who can forget well-known chef Gordon Ramsay trying to cook with the Swedish Chef (face and voice by Barretta, hands by Whitmire), only for the Chef’s ineptitude and wackiness to frustrate Ramsay? Seriously, if this were a PFN reality show, he would've sworn up a storm. (“It's the bleepin’ Muppets! Families are bleepin’ watching!”) [4]

At the end of the day, much like how “Too Late” was a variety show dressed as a talk show, “Muppet Quiz” is a variety show dressed as a game show.

The series was a big hit among critics and audiences, running for six seasons before its final episode aired on May 24 last year. Clash, Barretta, and Thatcher did an admirable job maintaining the integrity of the characters, staying true to Henson’s intentions. We can only hope that the next Muppet series, whenever that comes, continues the tradition of success.

[1] A pun on Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland's names.
[2] Inspired by this episode of Match Game ‘75 in which Gary Burghoff (himself a substitute for Charles Nelson Reilly) missed the day's taping after forgetting about Daylight Savings’ Time, so announcer Johnny Olson filled in for him.
[3] A crude mockup of Wendy's appearance.
[4] OTL's equivalent.

EDIT: Added Zondra. She'd be another natural Muppet for Jude to get along with.

Last edited:
24 October 2014 (prequel post to @Trevor807’s post)
While most wanted may not have been as wanted as a lot of us were expecting a lot of us did enjoy working on the movie as James Bobin really knew his stuff about the muppets and while it is sad to see him go after the failure of most wanted financially I did get a call from Kevin yesterday about an idea that he had where the muppets would host a game show called muppet trivia and can I just say that it may have been the best idea I have ever heard since I started working under Jim in 1991 I called him up told him about what Kevin was cooking and he gave his approval as did Dave Steve Eric David Karen Matt and Peter to name a few and they all approved of the idea as well should hope that the pilot shoots soon and we aim for a possible 2015 first air date for the show as a whole if we get greenlit wish us luck.
Bill Barretta
note 1 muppet trivia would later become muppet quiz
note 2 thoughts @Trevor807

4 July 2004
I already told Jim this and I am very tempted to tell Dave this as well but I have decided to mostly give up on physically performing a lot of my muppets as I have become too sick to perform and put on the show like Disney wants me to and on top of that I am getting a bit old for this kind of thing I’m not sure if I felt this way since filming Christmas carol in 91 or if the death of my friend Richard Hunt in 92 made me less motivated to do this but either way I only decided to do this on Friday but I am not sure if I should tell the other performers or not let me know what I should do.
Jerry Nelson.

The Muppets have delighted audiences for more than 65 years. They have starred in many television series over the years, most famously “Sesame Street” (which has run since 1969) and “The Muppet Show”. In 2015, Walt Disney Television and NBC brought us “Muppet Quiz”, bringing the Muppets to primetime for the first time since “Too Late with Miss Piggy”, and in time for their 60th anniversary. The Muppeteer lineup of Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta, David Rudman, Matt Vogel, Kevin Clash, Peter Linz, Karen Prell, Wayne Brady, Leslie Carrara-Rudolph, Donna Kimball, Alice Dinnean et al joined in for the ride, while Muppets creator and former Disney chairman Jim Henson served as an executive producer and creative consultant. Clash and Barretta, along with Kirk Thatcher, were the showrunners, and Whitmire, Goelz, Clash and Prell were frequent directors as well.

Like “Too Late”, “Muppet Quiz” sought to modernize the classic “Muppet Show” formula, with Kermit (Whitmire) returning as host after leaving hosting duties to Miss Piggy (Jacobson) in “Too Late”, and of course, trying to keep the show from falling apart. This time, though, “Muppet Quiz” was more of a panel show in the vein of “Match Game”, with a rotation of six Muppets every week.

View attachment 898238+View attachment 898239
= Muppet Quiz

Of course, the actual “gameplay” (which involves two human guest stars) took a backseat to the classic Muppet antics going on. Statler (Whitmire) and Waldorf (Barretta), the Muppets’ resident critics, continued their usual brand of heckling from their front-row seats, Fozzie Bear (Jacobson) told bad jokes for those two old coots to roast at like in the old days, and Gonzo (Goelz) found new ways to perform insane yet cultured stunts. Making his TV debut was announcer and sidekick Walter (Linz), who introduced the panelists, players and Kermit; sometimes, he'd join in the panel as well[2], though he was nothing compared to his twin sister Wendy (Prell) when it comes to mixing snark with energy.[3]

In Muppet tradition, the guest stars themselves each had their own skits as well, whether it's actor, voice actor and director Jude Barsi bonding with Uncle Deadly (Vogel) and Zondra (Carrara-Rudolph, taking over for the retired Fran Brill), singer Ariana Grande attracting the jealousy of vain diva Miss Piggy (Jacobson) simply for talking to Kermit, or game show host Alex Trebek briefly taking over hosting duties before realizing that trying to get the Muppets under control is easier said than done. Who can forget well-known chef Gordon Ramsay trying to cook with the Swedish Chef (face and voice by Barretta, hands by Whitmire), only for the Chef’s ineptitude and wackiness to frustrate Ramsay? Seriously, if this were a PFN reality show, he would've sworn up a storm. (“It's the bleepin’ Muppets! Families are bleepin’ watching!”) [4]

At the end of the day, much like how “Too Late” was a variety show dressed as a talk show, “Muppet Quiz” is a variety show dressed as a game show.

The series was a big hit among critics and audiences, running for six seasons before its final episode aired on May 24 last year. Clash, Barretta, and Thatcher did an admirable job maintaining the integrity of the characters, staying true to Henson’s intentions. We can only hope that the next Muppet series, whenever that comes, continues the tradition of success.

[2] Inspired by this episode of Match Game ‘75 in which Gary Burghoff (himself a substitute for Charles Nelson Reilly) missed the day's taping after forgetting about Daylight Savings’ Time, so announcer Johnny Olson filled in for him.
[4] OTL's equivalent.

I hope @Geekhis Khan makes this cannon.

4 July 2004
I already told Jim this and I am very tempted to tell Dave this as well but I have decided to mostly give up on physically performing a lot of my muppets as I have become too sick to perform and put on the show like Disney wants me to and on top of that I am getting a bit old for this kind of thing I’m not sure if I felt this way since filming Christmas carol in 91 or if the death of my friend Richard Hunt in 92 made me less motivated to do this but either way I only decided to do this on Friday but I am not sure if I should tell the other performers or not let me know what I should do.
Jerry Nelson.
My take:
July 4, 2004:

I already told Jim this and I might tell Dave too, but I've been thinking of giving up physically performing my Muppets. I'm getting too sick to perform and put on the show like Disney wants me to, and on top of that, I am getting a bit too old for this kind of thing.

I’m not sure if I've felt this way since my friend Richard died back in '92, which could've made me less motivated to do this. Either way, I only want to do this on Fridays and just voice my characters every other day from now on, but I'm not sure if I should tell the other performers or not. If I do, then I'd prefer having a say in whoever takes on my Muppets so I can train them until the time comes.

- Jerry Nelson

Prequel post to @Trevor807‘s and my guest post
23 December 2003
I was over at Jim’s house along with Jerry Steve Eric Bill Kevin and Fran helping him decorate the house for Christmas on thursday and I noticed Jerry coughing a lot more then usual and a little thought popped up in my head and I could swear that gonzo was speaking to me telepathically saying that Jerry could be getting a bit too old to play his characters to their full potential hopefully he is able to recover soon.
Dave Goelz
*two days later
25 December 2003
Jim taps his glass to get the team’s attention at Christmas dinner
Jim-“First off I would like to wish you guys a very merry Christmas.-“
the team all raise their glasses
Jim-“And secondly I would like to say that I have talked to the guys at the board about doing an adaptation of beetlejuice with the muppets and they said yes so see you on the sound stage on 9 July 2004.-“

View attachment 898238+View attachment 898239
= Muppet Quiz

[4] OTL's equivalent.

This is great!

Sorry for the delay. On vacation this week.

If you can take these scattered posts and make a singe post out of it, I'll threadmark it. You can always use the PMs to discuss an idea and gain feedback.

Also, would it be possible to put together a short paragraph or so with a synopsis of what a typical episode of this is like? (e.g. "Every episode began with...").

Sorry for the delay. On vacation this week.

If you can take these scattered posts and make a singe post out of it, I'll threadmark it. You can always use the PMs to discuss an idea and gain feedback.

Also, would it be possible to put together a short paragraph or so with a synopsis of what a typical episode of this is like? (e.g. "Every episode began with...").
I only did one post about Muppet Quiz. Here's the synopsis I put together; not my best, but I tried to keep the format simple to allow for Muppet Show-type skits.

"Every episode began with a short Muppet Show-like backstage skit of the two guest stars preparing for the show and interacting with a few of the panelists.

After the opening sequence (which has Walter introducing all six panelists, the two human contestants, and your host, Kermit the Frog), Kermit bantered with the guest stars and some of the Muppets, before the gameplay began. He asked a question for both guest stars to answer (playing for points), and their response was followed by the Muppets giving their two cents via a skit. (Maybe some backstage segments too if there's time.) Plus, the guest stars had their own skits as well.

At the end, the guest star with the most points would advance to the final round and team up with a Muppet of their choice. Said round would vary depending on the Muppet (e.g. a joke-off with Fozzie, playing music with Rowlf or Animal, doing something crazy with Gonzo, or a roast-off with Statler and Waldorf). Whoever scored more points in that round would win."

Short version:

"After the opening sequence, Kermit bantered with the contestants and Muppets for a bit, then asked a question for both guest stars to answer (playing for points); their responses were followed by the Muppets giving their two cents. Whoever got the most points would advance to the bonus round. Playing against a Muppet of their choice, whoever got the most points in that round won the game."

Last edited:
Muppets and Celebrities: What Do They Know? Do They Know Things?? Let's Find Out!
Now, the finalized version of my Muppet Quiz post.

The Muppets have delighted audiences for more than 65 years. They have starred in many television series over the years, most famously Sesame Street (which has run since 1969) and The Muppet Show. In 2015, Walt Disney Television, Muppet Studios [2] and NBC brought us Muppet Quiz, bringing the Muppets to primetime for the first time since Too Late with Miss Piggy, and in time for their 60th anniversary. The Muppeteer lineup of Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta, David Rudman, Matt Vogel, Kevin Clash, Artie Esposito, Peter Linz, Karen Prell et al joined in for the ride, while Muppets creator and former Disney chairman Jim Henson served as an executive producer and creative consultant. Clash and Barretta, along with Kirk Thatcher, were the showrunners, and Whitmire, Goelz, Clash, Barretta, Prell, and Vogel were frequent directors as well.

Like Too Late, Muppet Quiz sought to modernize the classic Muppet Show formula, with Kermit once again focusing on producing alongside Clifford, this time leaving hosting duties to affable piano-playing dog Rowlf [3], so he could focus on keeping the show from falling apart. This time, though, Muppet Quiz was more of a panel show in the vein of Match Game, with six different Muppets every week.

IMG_4393.jpeg
+
IMG_4394.jpeg

= Muppet Quiz

Every episode began with a short Muppet Show-like backstage skit of the two guest stars preparing for the show and interacting with a few of the panelists.

After the opening sequence (involving Kermit's traditional introduction of the guests in front of the KMUP station, followed by Rowlf singing the series' theme song as the show was being prepared, all six panelists being introduced during the song, and then Rowlf coming out on stage to a different, humorous introduction spiel that varied every episode), Rowlf bantered with the guests and some of the Muppets, before the gameplay began; the action took place on a set that parodied 1960s-1970s game shows such as Match Game, The Newlywed Game, and Password. Yes, they even used old-fashioned eggcrate displays instead of LED monitors.

Rowlf would ask six questions for both guest stars to answer (playing for points), and their responses were followed by the Muppets giving their two cents as well, usually leading to comedy skits or musical numbers from either the guests or the Muppets. Plus, quite a few skits ran on meta humor, including comments Rowlf made towards questions, as well as some lighthearted digs at Muppet corporate sibling NBC (Enby the Peacock even made a cameo appearance in one episode!) and even parent company Disney. If a guest got the question right, they would earn three points, with an additional point for each Muppet who also got it right. After each question, the show would cut to a scene taking place backstage, where Kermit would check in on what was happening.

Once all six questions were completed, the guest star with the most points would team up with a Muppet determined by the "Wheel! Of! Muppets!" The guest would then compete in a wacky final round with their Muppet competitor; for example, a cook-off with the Swedish Chef, a drum-off with the crazy drummer Animal, or a roast-off with resident critic duo Statler and Waldorf. If they got more points than the Muppet, they would win the round. Both guest stars came out on stage, along with some of the Muppets of that episode. After the credits, Statler and Waldorf gave one final comment a la The Muppet Show.

Of course, the best part was getting to see some classic Muppet antics on TV again after over a decade. Statler and Waldorf continued their usual brand of heckling from their front-row seats, Fozzie Bear told bad jokes for those two old coots to roast at like in the old days (they're practically a comedy trio at this point!), and Gonzo found new, insane yet cultured stunts to perform. Making his TV debut was Alvin (introduced in 2005), who acted as Rowlf's announcer/sidekick; he would sometimes join in the panel as well [4], though he was nothing compared to his energetic yet witty twin sister Audrey (also introduced in 2005). [5]

In Muppet tradition, the guest stars themselves each had their own skits as well, whether it's actor, voice actor and director Jude Barsi bonding with Uncle Deadly and Zondra, singer Ariana Grande attracting the jealousy of vain diva Miss Piggy simply for talking to Kermit backstage, or game show host Alex Trebek briefly taking over hosting duties from Rowlf before realizing that trying to get the Muppets under control is easier said than done. Who can forget well-known chef Gordon Ramsay trying to cook with the Swedish Chef, only for the Chef’s ineptitude and wackiness to frustrate Ramsay? Seriously, if this were a PFN reality show, he would've sworn up a storm. (“It's the bleepin’ Muppets! Families are bleepin’ watching!”) [6]

At the end of the day, much like how Too Late was a variety show dressed as a talk show, Muppet Quiz is a variety show dressed as a game show.

MUPPET PERFORMERS
  • Bill Barretta as Rowlf, Waldorf, Dr. Teeth, Pepe the King Prawn, the Swedish Chef (head and voice), Bobo the Bear, Sal Minella [7], Mahna Mahna, Big Mean Carl, and Other Muppets
  • Steve Whitmire as Kermit, Statler, Beaker, Rizzo the Rat, Lips, the Newsman, Link Hogthrob, Benny Bunny [8], Ubu, Andy Pig, Barry Stirr [9], the Swedish Chef (hands), and Other Muppets
  • Artie Esposito as Alvin and Other Muppets
  • Kevin Clash as Clifford, Mulch, Enby the Peacock, and Other Muppets
  • Eric Jacobson as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam the Eagle, Marvin Suggs, and Other Muppets
  • Dave Goelz as Gonzo the Great, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Zoot, Beauregard, Digit, Chip, Randy Pig, and Other Muppets
  • David Rudman as Scooter, Janice, Wayne, and Other Muppets
  • Matt Vogel as Sgt. Floyd Pepper, Robin the Frog, Uncle Deadly, Sweetums, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Lew Zealand, Crazy Harry, Pops, Camilla, Angus McGonagle, and Other Muppets
  • Karen Prell as Audrey, Yolanda Rat, and Other Muppets
  • Peter Linz as Nigel the Conductor, Dr. Phil Van Neuter [10], and Other Muppets
  • Alice Dinnean as Wanda and Other Muppets
  • Leslie Carrara-Rudolph as Zondra, Spamela Hamderson, and Other Muppets
  • Julianne Buescher as Denise [11], Beverly Plume, and Other Muppets
  • Tyler Bunch as Thog and Other Muppets
  • Louise Gold as Annie Sue and Other Muppets
ADDITIONAL PERFORMERS
  • Grant Baciocco
  • Billy Barkhurst
  • Rickey Boyd
  • Wayne Brady
  • Kanja Chen
  • Frankie Cordero
  • Stephanie D'Abruzzo
  • Ryan Dillon
  • Ben Durocher
  • Ali J. Eisner
  • Bradley Freeman, Jr.
  • Aymee Garcia
  • Dan Garza
  • Leila Ghaznavi
  • Andy Hayward
  • John Kennedy
  • Donna Kimball
  • Tim Lagasse
  • Bruce Lanoil
  • Noel MacNeal
  • Drew Massey
  • Joey Mazzarino
  • Brett O'Quinn
  • Carmen Osbahr
  • Anney McKilligan Ozar
  • Martin P. Robinson
  • Yinan Shentu
  • John Tartaglia
  • Allan Trautman
  • Alex Villa
  • Victor Yerrid

[2] OTL's equivalent to The Muppets Studio. I'd personally imagine its logo to look like OTL's Jim Henson Pictures logo (go to 0:22).
[3] I had Rowlf be the host this time, because I wanted him to get his time in the spotlight again (he was the lead Muppet before The Muppet Show due to his fame as Jimmy Dean's TV sidekick). Kermit still plays a major role as the producer like in Too Late, and he's still the undeniable leader.
[4] Inspired by this episode of Match Game ‘75 in which Gary Burghoff (himself a substitute for Charles Nelson Reilly) missed the day's taping after forgetting about Daylight Savings’ Time, so announcer Johnny Olson filled in for him.
[5] A crude mockup of Wendy's appearance.
[6] OTL's equivalent.
[7] Basically OTL's Johnny Fiama as described in the Too Late with Miss Piggy entry.
[8] OTL's Bean Bunny.
[9] OTL's Joe the Legal Weasel.
[10] Brian Henson performed this role IOTL. Here, because of his other commitments, I gave Peter this role instead.
[11] The Whatnot, not the pig from OTL's 2015 series (whom Buescher coincidentally performed).

EDIT: Added Clifford as producer.
EDIT 2: Added mention of eggcrate displays.
EDIT 3: Elaborated on the opening.
EDIT 4: Added Denise the Whatnot from a Muppet Meeting Film and Muppets TV, plus Joe the Legal Weasel and Beverly Plume from OTL's Muppets Now. Honestly, I'd think Jim would encourage Disney to hire more new performers to create their own roles (e.g. Bill Barretta as Pepé), or make more obscure characters their own (e.g. Matt Vogel as Uncle Deadly, a character who only lasted a few years under Jerry Nelson, or how I gave Nigel to Peter Linz).
EDIT 5: Added Muppet Studios.
EDIT 6: Added Allan Trautman.
FINAL EDIT: Added Carmen Osbahr.
FINAL EDIT, FOR REAL THIS TIME: Replaced Joe the Legal Weasel with his TTL counterpart.

RETCON: I renamed Walter and Wendy to Alvin (Shockeye7665's suggestion) and Audrey, and cast Artie Esposito as Alvin. I realized that Walter's name and performer would be different due to butterflies.

Last edited: