• Yes

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dcharles

Banned
I hate to throw cold water on this, but I have a lot of trouble with what I'm interpreting the premise to be: the impeachment of Andrew Johnson ends "white supremacy" as a viable ideology in the American polity.

Andrew Johnson had nothing to do with the primacy of white supremacy. White supremacy was pervasive in the 1800s. It was the paradigm; the received wisdom; a fact considered so basic as to not require any analysis that might back it up. An article of faith, much as the benevolence of democracy in the 2000s is an article of faith. A lot of rank and file Republicans during the period were in fact what we would call arch-segregationists today. While the position of the Democrats was to use black people as a form of labor and deny blacks the fruits of said labor, the position of many Republicans was that they didn't want any black people at all, anywhere in the US.

This, for example, is very anachronistic: "The Civil War not only ended slavery and paved the way for Negro equality..."

The number of white people in the US in 1870-1880 who believed black people and white people were equal was vanishingly small. Just tiny. A total fringe element. To put it into a modern context, think about the amount of people who support the unregulated legalization of heroin. The amount of people who want to legalize polygamy. The amount of people who want to outlaw booze.

This type of thinking from the mouths of people from the 1800s is incongruent. It's like setting a timeline in the European middle ages and having people talking about the class struggle. It just wasn't how they thought back then.

I hate to throw cold water on this, but I have a lot of trouble with what I'm interpreting the premise to be: the impeachment of Andrew Johnson ends "white supremacy" as a viable ideology in the American polity.

Andrew Johnson had nothing to do with the primacy of white supremacy. White supremacy was pervasive in the 1800s. It was the paradigm; the received wisdom; a fact considered so basic as to not require any analysis that might back it up. An article of faith, much as the benevolence of democracy in the 2000s is an article of faith. A lot of rank and file Republicans during the period were in fact what we would call arch-segregationists today. While the position of the Democrats was to use black people as a form of labor and deny blacks the fruits of said labor, the position of many Republicans was that they didn't want any black people at all, anywhere in the US.

This, for example, is very anachronistic: "The Civil War not only ended slavery and paved the way for Negro equality..."

The number of white people in the US in 1870-1880 who believed black people and white people were equal was vanishingly small. Just tiny. A total fringe element. To put it into a modern context, think about the amount of people who support the unregulated legalization of heroin. The amount of people who want to legalize polygamy. The amount of people who want to outlaw booze.

This type of thinking from the mouths of people from the 1800s is incongruent. It's like setting a timeline in the European middle ages and having people talking about the class struggle. It just wasn't how they thought back then.

Hi Charleos! Thanks for your comments! Let me try and address them.

First of all, while I do know that the number of people who believed in racial equality were small, I believe there were several factors that can explain a greater acceptance of legal equality (I bolded that for a reason). First of all, in the North during most of Reconstruction, there was a great deal of optimism that the African American populace could be "civilized" or "raised up" into equality with whites via education, etc. Racist and condescending? Sure. Jim Crow levels of hate? No. Combine that attitude with a more violent and reviled KKK and Redeemer movement, and you already have a recipe for at least greater racial acceptance. Another factor that is a big POD from OTL, is that the Federal government targeted poor southern whites with what were essentially propaganda speeches saying that rich southern elites were using slavery and other things like that to screw them financially. Speaking as someone from the South, and who still has living (white) family members who were sharecroppers, I can tell you that in many areas hatred of those rich elites was and is just as prevalent as racism. Combine all of this with a Federal government willing to enforce civil rights laws at bayonet point, and I think a limited legal equality is achievable.

Now, here's another point, and it's why I bolded legal equality. African Americans are equal in the sense that they are not legally segregated, have decent integrated schools, have been able to resist the worst forms of voter suppression and disenfranchisement (no literacy tests or taxes, but plenty of gerrymandering and "incomplete voter registrations"), and don't have to worry about being lynched with impunity for merely talking to a white woman. However...

There is still plenty of discrimination, much of which is illegal or unacceptable today. Blacks are still mostly confined to manual labor, and are certainly paid less than their white colleagues. Racial slurs are still common, as is blackface, even if they aren't quite as widespread as OTL (especially blackface). De facto segregation is the rule of the day, and is enforced by both the white and black communities, as neither is terribly fond of mixing with the other. Outside of some public schools and events (town hall meetings, etc) the two communities live separate lives, and since whites still make more money and are a majority of voters, you have one guess as to which community is better off. Juries for blacks are often suspiciously all or majority white. African Americans are sentenced to harsher punishments than white counterparts. Perhaps the most violent example on this list is the prevalent attitude to interracial relationships. While merely viewed as strange and improper up North, in the South (where most blacks still are) things are... worse, and with a double standard. White men who date black women might get beat up by a few black men. The local authorities will make a show of arresting those responsible, and might even give one or two a veritable slap on the wrist jail sentence. The black woman is ostracized for a time. If a black man is found dating or trying to date a white woman.... At best he gets a severe beating. At worst, there's an "accident" or a "suicide," or if the authorities are feeling especially ballsy, they'll declare it a murder and then openly not look into it. The white woman either has to cry rape or gets chased out of town.

To sum it up: A decent majority of African Americans can vote, go to school, and doesn't live in constant fear of mob violence. Beyond that, there's a lot of work to do.

Despite the numerous instances of discrimination I just listed, I think America is in a better place racially ITTL. Politicians have to at least pander to African American needs. They have legitimate, albeit still severely limited, chances of advancement. Post-racial Utopia? Hell no. Jim Crow Era oppression combined with sharecropping? Also no. If I've made it sound like everyone is equal and hunky dory, I apologize. TTL, could still be a little unrealistic in terms of race relations, even with those stipulations. I'm ok with that because I want to write a TL that is a little more optimistic in nature.

EDIT: I also realize that "white supremacy" may have been a bad choice of words

Last edited:
I wonder how much grief Cleveland got for buying a substitute during the War; I would imagine ITTL that those who bought substitutes or did not serve for some reason would be looked down upon harder.....

It's definitely caused him issues, but many folks overlooked it in favor of his policies.

Chapter 7: The Panic of 1893, the Annexation of Hawaii, and the Spanish-American War of 1896
Chapter 7: The Panic of 1893, the Annexation of Hawaii, and the Spanish-American War of 1896

Grover Cleveland's first term was one of the most tumultuous in American history. Right before he took office, the economy tanked in 1893. There were a variety of reasons behind the Panic of 1893, including a failed wheat crop in Argentina and railroad overbuilding. Cleveland immediately took action. He forced through repeals of both the Sherman Silver Purchase Act and the McKinley Tariffs, which were partially responsible for the economic collapse. President Cleveland also took the unprecedented step of using surplus federal funds to buy up large amounts of wheat, which helped to stabilize rapidly falling prices. Despite these measures, the Panic of 1893 and ensuing depression was one of the worst economic crises in American history, with estimated unemployment reaching 16.5% in 1894, before slightly declining to 13%, where it remained until 1898/99.

The American public was furious, and looking for someone to blame. Initially, the public blamed President Cleveland. However, in a stroke of political genius, Cleveland managed to direct the raw populist anger of the public, against banks, railroads, and their alleged Republican cronies. However, while Cleveland did have the Interstate Commerce Commission crack down on the railroads some, Cleveland ultimately decided to not rock the boat too much for fear of hindering economic recovery. However, the Panic of 1893 was just the beginning of Cleveland's term....

In 1893, American planters in Hawaii led a coup d'etat against the Hawaiian monarchy. On July 4th, 1894, they declared the Republic of Hawaii. However, the planters ultimate goal was to be annexed into the Union. Although Cleveland found the methods used by the planters to be somewhat distasteful, over the years he had slowly evolved from an isolationist to an expansionist. Plus, annexing Hawaii could boost the American sugar and fruit industries, both of which were still agitated by the increasing difficulty of doing business with British and French colonies in the Caribbean following the Jamaica Incident. On August 18th, 1895, the US formally annexed Hawaii as a territory. It was the first taste of colonial expansion for the Americans, and they would soon get another, larger morsel....

On February 15th, 1895, the Cuban people once again revolted against their Spanish masters. As fighting broke out, the American press covered atrocities committed by Spanish forces against the Cuban people. Many of these accounts were exaggerated, but the Spanish were committing legitimate atrocities in Cuba. When riots by Cuban loyalists broke out in Havana in November of 1895, President Cleveland sent the USS Georgia to Havana to safeguard American citizens. On March 10th, 1896, the USS Georgia exploded. A US Navy report indicated that an underwater mine had been detonated, although today an internal malfunction seems more likely. The American public was outraged at the "barbarity of the oppressive Spaniards." By May 3rd, Congress had passed a declaration of war against the Spanish.

In both the Caribbean and Pacific, America was determined to take Spain's colonies, with many believing "we will uplift the Filipino, the Cuban, and the Puerto Rican where the Spanish failed." The US Navy performed exceedingly well, especially in the Pacific. There, Commodore George Dewey captured Manila Bay and destroyed the Spanish squadron, even while suffering coal and ammo shortages. The US also captured Guam on July 1st. In Cuba, the US destroyed the Spanish navy after a series of laughably one-sided battles. On July 2nd, 1896, New York police commissioner and future President Theodore Roosevelt became a national hero for leading his volunteer Rough Riders up San Juan Hill, even though Roosevelt had the only horse. This combined with other decisive land battles in Cuba and the capture of Manila on July 20th, brought Spain to the negotiating table.

In the Treaty of Paris, ratified by the Senate on September 25th, Spain lost the last remnants of its old colonial empire. America annexed Guam, Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and Cuba. Spain in return received $50 million. The treaty stirred controversy in Congress among ardent anti-expansionists, but the general national mood was one of elation. America was finally coming into her own as a world power. The war's successful conclusion and the treaty's approval by the end of September also saved Cleveland's election. Anger over the economic crisis was still vitriolic, and some segments of the population were once again starting to blame him for the economy. However, thanks to American victory, most Americans associated Cleveland's Presidency with America's recent triumph over a "barbarous foreign foe."

The Spanish-American War had several important impacts. It propelled Teddy Roosevelt's political career to new heights, and ultimately helped him win the Presidency later on. The War whetted America's appetite for colonial expansion, which would lead to a string of future annexations. Even more importantly, the Spanish-American War heightened Anglo-American and Franco-American tensions. After the naval Battle of Manila Bay, German, Japanese, French, and British ships steamed into the Bay. German and Japanese commanders were careful not to offend the Americans since both Berlin and Tokyo had come to the conclusion that America was not to be trifled with. However the British and French were terrified of a more powerful America, and were still angry over various incidents. The French still had a chip on their shoulder over American hostility to their actions in Mexico and their support of Liberia, who had been causing trouble on the border with the French Ivory Coast. The British were still angered over America's hardliner stance regarding the Alabama Claims. Both empires were alarmed by the Jamaican Incident a decade prior. This lead to British and French ships cutting off American ships, refusing to salute the American flag (as according to naval courtesy), and even landing some supplies for the besieged Spanish. This enraged Americans who were already inclined to view the British and French as "despicable oppressors" who many believed needed to "hand over their colonies in our Hemisphere and get the Hell out" as one imperialist firebrand put it. As a result, many in Washington began discussing closer relations with the German Empire. All the while, insurgencies were brewing in Cuba and the Philippines.....

USS_Olympia_art_NH_91881-KN_cropped.jpg

Painting of the Battle of Manila Bay

TR_San_Juan_Hill_1898.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt with his Rough Riders.

220px-USSMaine.jpg

The wreckage of the USS Georgia

To sum it up: A decent majority of African Americans can vote, go to school, and doesn't live in constant fear of mob violence. Beyond that, there's a lot of work to do.
That sums it up nicely; blacks are still second class citizens but at least they have some power and legal protection now. However marginal, it is still a big improvement over being treated as animals or property.
Re Chapter 7: As the saying goes "The more things change, the more they remain the same." ;)

BTW I'll bet Alfred Thayer Mahan will be an even bigger influence ITTL. I would assume the US Navy is far more powerful than OTL. I wouldn't be surprised if the US launches the first all big gun battleship ITTL (they nearly did IOTL).

That sums it up nicely; blacks are still second class citizens but at least they have some power and legal protection now. However marginal, it is still a big improvement over being treated as animals or property.
Re Chapter 7: As the saying goes "The more things change, the more they remain the same." ;)

BTW I'll bet Alfred Thayer Mahan will be an even bigger influence ITTL. I would assume the US Navy is far more powerful than OTL. I wouldn't be surprised if the US launches the first all big gun battleship ITTL (they nearly did IOTL).

Looking back at some of the language in the previous chapters, I understand how it could come off as "everyone is basically equal." Maybe sub white supremacy with "Redeemerism" or "Klanism."

I based a lot of Chapter 7 off of the real timeframe of the war. The thing with the British and the French also happened OTL, only with the Germans being the ones doing the antagonizing.

The US Navy is definitely in better shape than OTL. Mayhan's beliefs are also going to be very influential on America ITTL. I could definitely see the US launching the first big gun battleship. That could be the catalyst for the arms race pre-WWI. The British and French start cranking out ships because they're scared of/pissed off by America. America increases production because they feel the same way about the French and British. The Germans and others participate to make sure they aren't totally outclassed.

I based a lot of Chapter 7 off of the real timeframe of the war. The thing with the British and the French also happened OTL, only with the Germans being the ones doing the antagonizing.
Yeah, I read about that. There were also a number of other incidents with foreign navies.

The US Navy is definitely in better shape than OTL. Mayhan's beliefs are also going to be very influential on America ITTL. I could definitely see the US launching the first big gun battleship. That could be the catalyst for the arms race pre-WWI. The British and French start cranking out ships because they're scared of/pissed off by America. America increases production because they feel the same way about the French and British. The Germans and others participate to make sure they aren't totally outclassed.
One thing that came to me is that Southern politicians could support a naval buildup by calling for funding the reconstruction of southern infrastructure (especially railroads) destroyed by the war combined with accelerated industrialization of the southern states. After all, southern shipyards could help build warships and supply crews....
Politically, this could result in all sorts of bipartisan legislation; for example southern politicians could work with moderate republicans by arguing that rebuilding the south would boost national prosperity while also arguing such reconstruction would provide jobs for both poor whites and blacks. Southern reconstruction would be a big boost to the national economy.
As for the Navy, I think that postwar , the Navy would sell off unneeded ships while retaining a core of more modern craft for coastal defense and showing the flag. The Boston class cruisers would be built as an evolution of the dual turret US monitors but designed for ocean travel (maybe also having influence from the USS New Ironsides); they could easily resemble the HMS Devastation.
As for the all big gun ship, IOTL, the US Navy had two such ships building at the same time as HMS Dreadnought; the South Carolina class. ITTL the US could easily be the first to build such ships....

Yeah, I read about that. There were also a number of other incidents with foreign navies.

One thing that came to me is that Southern politicians could support a naval buildup by calling for funding the reconstruction of southern infrastructure (especially railroads) destroyed by the war combined with accelerated industrialization of the southern states. After all, southern shipyards could help build warships and supply crews....
Politically, this could result in all sorts of bipartisan legislation; for example southern politicians could work with moderate republicans by arguing that rebuilding the south would boost national prosperity while also arguing such reconstruction would provide jobs for both poor whites and blacks. Southern reconstruction would be a big boost to the national economy.
As for the Navy, I think that postwar , the Navy would sell off unneeded ships while retaining a core of more modern craft for coastal defense and showing the flag. The Boston class cruisers would be built as an evolution of the dual turret US monitors but designed for ocean travel (maybe also having influence from the USS New Ironsides); they could easily resemble the HMS Devastation.
As for the all big gun ship, IOTL, the US Navy had two such ships building at the same time as HMS Dreadnought; the South Carolina class. ITTL the US could easily be the first to build such ships....

That sounds like something that's pretty plausible. The Navy trims the fat and prepares to upgrade with some new battleships. They build some South Carolina ships before anyone else and everyone freaks out a little. Meanwhile, both Democrats and Republicans start building new shipyards in places like Wilmington, Charleston, and Savannah to help Southern industrialization.

Chapter 8: Cleveland's Second Term and Colonial Insurgency
Next chapter will be an update on global affairs. The Scramble for Africa and Europe's reaction to American events will be pretty prominent.

Chapter 8: Cleveland's Second Term and Colonial Insurgency

At the start of President Grover Cleveland's second term, America was feeling good. The economy was finally recovering from the Panic of 1893. Just as importantly, a wave of national pride was washing over the land, as America reveled in her newfound might as a colonial power. However, these same colonies were to soon be the sight of wars far deadlier than the short, one-sided Spanish-American one...

Cuba and the Philippines. The two largest, most profitable, and most populated colonies America had acquired. They were also home to nationalist movements that weren't too happy that a new foreign power had set up shop. Lead by Generalissimo Máximo Gómez in Cuba and Emilio Aguinaldo in the Philippines, local nationalists dug in to fight the American invaders. The US sent 3,000 troops to Cuba and 5,000 to the Philippines to combat the insurgents. Most folks in the US expected an easy victory. After all, they had just beaten a European empire. How difficult could it be to defeat some primitive insurgents?

The answer to that question was more difficult than anticipated. Guerrilla tactics employed by the rebels caught the Americans off guard. For the next 3 years, from 1897-1900, America was bogged down in fighting with their new Filipino and Cuban subjects. In the case of the Moro Rebellion, fighting wouldn't wind down until 1910. The US used harsh tactics in order to try and suppress the rebels. In the Philippines, it was rumored that American troops buried Muslim rebels with pig corpses to deter others from joining their ranks. However, these rumors could never be truly substantiated. What is known, is that by late 1898 to early 1899, the US shifted to a controversial new strategy. The US decided that the best way to crush the insurgency was to take over "key zones of control" and to segregate the civilian population from the rebellious one, via the use of internment camps. The camps were controversial, and the US military in the Philippines and Cuba tried to suppress news of the camps from reaching the Homeland. These efforts failed, and the public was instantly divided. Proponents of the camps argued that they protected the natives from the brutal nature of the war going on around them. Detractors stated that the camps' existence undermined America's moral character, and were contrary to the goals of uplifting the natives and preparing to integrate them more wholly into the Union. Future generations would also notice the similarities of these camps to those used by far more malevolent regimes (even if American camps were nowhere near as disgusting). Regardless of the morality of it all, the new strategy, when combined with a surge of 30,000 troops to the Philippines and 10,000 to Cuba meant that the fighting was essentially over by 1900.

The 1900 Election was a steal for the Republicans. The American public quickly grew weary of the various insurgencies, and Republican William McKinley scored cheap points by bringing up Cleveland's hiring of a substitute and contrasting it with soldiers fighting in "Cleveland's war." McKinley won on a promise of limited foreign intervention and lower taxes. However, his administration would have some severe challenges......

Co.%20M,%2028th%20US%20Infantry%20USV%20probably%20Aug%201900.jpg

US soldiers in the Philippines

9th_cavalry_camp_lawton_1.jpg

Members of the 9th Cavalry in Cuba

1803ecc435f671624cee5bc13412d601.jpg

A campaign poster for Republican McKinley

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
My, I miss a day and I miss a lot! The rate this timeline is coming out is both astounding and satisfying! So much ground to cover, but probably one of the more exciting parts is that the Curse of Tippecanoe is, at least possibly, broken. I also love that you explained more in-depth of how much better race relations relatively are ITTL yet still making it both plausible and not utopian.

With America's aggressive expansion courageous colonial liberations, things are getting most interesting indeed. The heavy-handedness of the U.S. soldiers is to be expected (and often regrettable), but it's another well-written sign that it's both not a utopia and that the U.S. isn't 100% morally white.

Yet I do have a question: What is the status of the labor movement (and leftism in general) in this alt-U.S. going from Reconstruction towards World War I? Similar to OTL? Better? Worse?

My, I miss a day and I miss a lot! The rate this timeline is coming out is both astounding and satisfying! So much ground to cover, but probably one of the more exciting parts is that the Curse of Tippecanoe is, at least possibly, broken. I also love that you explained more in-depth of how much better race relations relatively are ITTL yet still making it both plausible and not utopian.

With America's aggressive expansion courageous colonial liberations, things are getting most interesting indeed. The heavy-handedness of the U.S. soldiers is to be expected (and often regrettable), but it's another well-written sign that it's both not a utopia and that the U.S. isn't 100% morally white.

Yet I do have a question: What is the status of the labor movement (and leftism in general) in this alt-U.S. going from Reconstruction towards World War I? Similar to OTL? Better? Worse?

Thanks Aero! Yeah, I'm trying to make race relations better than OTL, without everything being sunshine and rainbows.

America's aggressive expansion is going to make things in the Western Hemisphere very interesting. Their efforts to if not colonize, at least expand their influence abroad, is going to be a focus of the upcoming chapter. Shenanigans with the Boxer Rebellion and Liberia abound...

The labor movement is a little better than OTL. One of the plot points of TTL is that America is going to be somewhat more economically liberal than OTL thanks to a lack of a Red Scare or (spoilers) a USSR.

Chapter 9: Global Affairs 1870-1900
Chapter 9: Global Affairs 1870-1900

The world from 1870-1900 was a chaotic whirl of power struggles, wars, and international incidents. The world witnessed the rise of Japan, Germany, and the United States as serious powers. The Europeans also carved up Africa amongst themselves, and prepared to colonize the "Dark Continent." In China, the Qing Dynasty and the "Fist of Harmony Society" rose up in rebellion against foreign influence. The world was changing so quickly, some nations felt difficulty keeping up....

One of the most Earth-shattering vents of this period was the Rise of Germany. In July 1870, the Prussians and French went to war, and the French felt confident in their victory. Six months later, their government was signing a treaty giving the Prussian foe Alsace-Lorraine. Most humiliatingly of all, the Prussians declared the formation of their new German Empire in the Palace of Versailles. The formation of the new German Empire alarmed many in Europe. The old balance of power could not possibly survive the creation of such a state. French defeat in the war also led to the formation of the French Third Republic, as angry French citizens overthrew the Emperor. Paris even attempted to form its own commune before being brutally crushed. The new Republic had a nasty revanchist streak that would only grow worse....

Another major development in Europe was the beginning of the Alliance System. The Germans aligned themselves with the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Kingdom of Italy, and maintained good relations with the Ottomans and the Americans. The French and Russians signed the Franco-Russian Alliance, which would set the stage for the Triple Entente. These alliances would be a major issue in the future..

Another concerning development in Europe was the rise of nationalism. In the Balkans, various ethnic groups, particularly the Serbs, began agitating for the formation of ethnic homelands for themselves. In Germany, pan-German sentiment continued to grow, emboldened by the recent victory over France. In Eastern Europe, nationalism among ethnic groups in Russian territories was also growing. To top everything off, France and Spain were slowly falling into the grip of revanchist nationalism due to the loss of Alsace-Lorraine and their colonial empire respectively. A storm was brewing....

In 1884-1885, the Berlin Conference established regulations for European colonization in Africa. This sparked the so-called "Race for Africa," as all of Europe's major powers tried to claim as much territory as possible on the "Dark Continent." Although the division of Africa wouldn't be fully complete until roughly 1914, many areas of the continent were gobbled up. In West Africa, European colonialism sparked a series of disputes with American aligned Liberia. Liberia had followed the lead of its former colonizer and begun treating the "native Africans" as people to "civilize" not as animals to control. The Liberians also adopted their own form of Manifest Destiny, which stated that Liberia should expand throughout West Africa and beyond to "Bring Christian Civilization to our less enlightened brothers." This vision of Manifest Destiny was also anti-imperialism (or more accurately, anti-European imperialism, not anti-American). Throughout the 1880's and 1890's, the Liberians had several border incidents with French and British colonies in the region, and these disputes inevitably drew in the United States. When the French threatened to invade Liberia following the 1895 Ivory Coast incident, which left 3 Frenchmen and 1 Liberian wounded, the US deployed 5,000 troops to the country. Even after the French backed off, American troops remained on Liberian soil and the US government began giving the Liberian military equipment and training in case of future incidents....

In Asia, Japan was on the rise. After having been forcibly opened by the Americans several decades prior, the country had rapidly westernized. In the First Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895), the Japanese took Formosa as their first colonial possession. During this time period, they also increasingly meddled in Korean affairs, setting the stage for future annexation. The rise of Japan both impressed and alarmed European powers. Some viewed the Japanese as the "White Man of the Orient." Others began having apocalyptic racial fantasies of Japan uniting the Oriental world and attacking European dominance. However, other concerns in Asia would distract from this...

In 1898, the so-called "Boxer Rebellion," would erupt in China. Anger over foreign imperialism, combined with a severe drought, caused the so-called "Fist of Harmony Society" to openly revolt against foreign influence. After some deliberation, the Qing Dynasty openly supported the Boxers, and declared war on the foreigners. Foreign traders and missionaries, along with Chinese Christians, hid out in the Legation Quarter in Peking, where they were besieged by the Boxers and the Imperial army. The Western powers and Japan were universally enraged by the rebellion, especially the vicious attacks on missionaries and Chinese Christians. The Eight-Nation Alliance, composed of Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Japan and the United States deployed a force of roughly 60,000 troops and 60 warships to crush the rebellion. By January 1900, the Alliance forces had invaded Peking, and broke the siege of the foreign legation. During the Occupation of Peking several incidents occurred between American soldiers and their British, French, and Japanese counterparts. The Americans had been instructed to behave with "dignity befitting the Stars and Stripes," and for the most part did behave admirably (even if quite a few Chinese relics found their way into American hands). The British, French, and Japanese soldiers went on an absolute rampage, looting, murdering, and especially raping. Thousands of Chinese women committed suicide to avoid this fate. American soldiers often tried to protect Chinese women, sometimes of their own initiative, sometimes because they had been ordered to. This often resulted in violent clashes between Americans and foreign troops. In Europe, many accused the Americans of being "Orientalized," or even being Boxer sympathizers. In the US, the general sentiment was one of disgust at "soldiers of supposedly civilized nations acting like Attila the Hun." This led to even worse relations between the US and the British and French. The other major outcome of the Boxer Rebellion was Russia's invasion and occupation of Manchuria following a border incident between Russian troops and "Boxers." This would set the stage for the coming Russo-Japanese War....

Looming over this entire time period was the specter of a rising, bellicose America. The Americans had come out of the Civil War with a new industrial base, a new sense of nationalism, and a new willingness to use military force to protect American interests and values. The world's major powers all had different reactions to this new and invigorated America. The British and French were equal parts enraged and terrified. The fear derived from the fact that America was a large, rapidly industrializing power that could effectively project power abroad while being safe at home. The anger came from the near constant clashes and incidents between the two. America had held a hardliner stance on the Alabama Claims, backed a belligerent, anti-colonialist Liberia, and had been openly eyeing up their possessions in the Americas. From the American perspective, Britain and France were aggressive powers who flagrantly violated the Monroe Doctrine, actively tried to surround America's "Brother Liberia" and refused to make just compensation for their support of the treasonous Confederacy. The Russians, being allies of the French, were not overly fond of the Americans either.

The Japanese and Germans held different perspectives. While the Japanese were hardly happy with America's annexation of the Philippines, America's willingness to treat them with (some) respect despite their race, and their hostility to Russia, made relations cordial. The Germans viewed America as a useful future ally. The republic's size, isolation, growing power, and imperial ambition made them a perfect partner for German ambitions. If the Germans were going to remake the European order, wars with Britain, France, and Russia were inevitable. An alliance with the Americans would make accomplishing their imperial visions much easier. Throughout this time period, Berlin made an active effort to court America both politically and economically. American trade with Germany exploded, especially as tariffs imposed by the British and French to punish the Americans went into effect. A new alliance was forming.......

2014-08-23-ProclamationofWilhelmIatVersailles-thumb.jpg

Kaiser Wilhelm issues the Proclamation of the German Empire at the palace of Versailles

1200px-1887_Bettanier_Der_Schwarze_Fleck_anagoria.JPG

A painting depicting a French boy being taught that Alsace-Lorraine is a rightful part of France, circa 1880

SS2793326.jpg

A depiction of a battle during the First Sino-Japanese War

Scramble-for-Africa-1880-1913.png

Africa before and after the Race for Africa

1024px-Siege_of_Peking%2C_Boxer_Rebellion.jpg

American troops scale the walls outside Peking during the Boxer Rebellion

I'm not at home with us history, but I like this TL. But isn't that 1913 map OTL? Isn't that a bit weird??

Glad you like the TL!

The 1913 map is the OTL one. I honestly don't know how butterflies would have affected this TL's Race for Africa. If anyone has suggestions, I am more than happy to redo that portion.

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
One of the plot points of TTL is that America is going to be somewhat more economically liberal than OTL thanks to a lack of a Red Scare or (spoilers) a USSR.

For those who read Murica's other work, Pax Atomica, and saw some of those plans in-between the final chapters, I am sure it's am open secret that the Russian Revolution fails. (Thanks, Trotsky.) A more economically liberal America can mean different things depending on what era you are talking about, but I believe the connotation is that there may be trappings of what we would recognize as social democracy later on ITTL.

During this time period, they also increasingly meddled in Korean affairs, setting the stage for future annexation. The rise of Japan both impressed and alarmed European powers.

Now the hard part: "Which side will Japan fight on in WWI?" They have their alliance with the British, who don't want the Germans moving through Belgium to get to France, and then you have the aforementioned Russo-Japanese War...the more I look at OTL's history of World War I, the more confusing it gets...

Edit: You've been doing great with the threadmarks on this one! Keep it up!

For those who read Murica's other work, Pax Atomica, and saw some of those plans in-between the final chapters, I am sure it's am open secret that the Russian Revolution fails. (Thanks, Trotsky.) A more economically liberal America can mean different things depending on what era you are talking about, but I believe the connotation is that there may be trappings of what we would recognize as social democracy later on ITTL.

Now the hard part: "Which side will Japan fight on in WWI?" They have their alliance with the British, who don't want the Germans moving through Belgium to get to France, and then you have the aforementioned Russo-Japanese War...the more I look at OTL's history of World War I, the more confusing it gets...

Edit: You've been doing great with the threadmarks on this one! Keep it up!

If you don't want to sift through the nearly 60 pages of my recently completed TL (with a sequel coming in the future) I'll reveal the fate of Russia ITTL

Trotsky is defeated by Anton Denikin at Moscow in 1919. While OTL's Denikin was already anti-Semitic and anti-Masonic, TTL's will be much worse, thanks to being influenced by the Black Hundreds. He'll seize power and establish the theocratic, anti-Semitic, anti-Masonic, possibly Slavic nationalist, Union of Orthodox Christian States (UOCS). Which will gradually become crazier over time.

I'm thinking Japan either stays on Britain's side, or maybe stays neutral. But, I'm leaning towards an alliance with Britain.

I've been trying to do a better job marking this one, lol!

That... would be interesting to say the least. I'll try to do at least a one shot!

I'm going to try and have something else up tonight. I will be preoccupied this weekend so there probably won't be anything else until Monday.

I'm probably gonna put my thoughts on the crossover here. If LTES-verse America enters the world of Pax Atomica, let's just say it won't end well for the inhabitants involved.