Restoration of the Great Ming: A Tianqi Timeline

Well Zheng is again making independent plays, but as long as he is successful and his actions benefit Ming it could be excused. Well as long as he doesn't involve the Empire in major war but then again...

If this is within Ming Empires capabilities (by which i mean its within limits of short and painless war) and given the fact that both Spanish and Portuguese are busy killing each other's a little intervention on Portuguese side wouldn't hurt . Thus could in Grand picture of thing excuse Zhengs independent action.
Yep. He's definitely on a roll, but he needs to keep delivering in order to keep any rivals at bay. If he fucks up, he'd have to rely on his allies at court to shield him. And of course, nothing bad ever happened at the Chinese imperial court.

It cracks me up that your initial description of John IV was as "a person who is somehow affecting events in China".

Admiral Zheng strikes again! Honestly "pulling a Zheng" has  got to be a saying by know, at least among the castle staff.
Thank you! Ha, and yep. The world needs more pirate warlords in it.

As the joke goes, if I had a nickel for every Chinese play in which [that plot] happens, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't much, but it's weird that it happened twice. (At least twice!) So I figured out a way to include it.

Happy that Portugal was able to one up Spain. Zheng is always a good ally to have around and a terrible foe to antagonise as he might pull others to do his own dirty work.

Whoops, volcanic eruptions! Never good! Sensing a famine and a can of rebellion about to open....

Happy that Portugal was able to one up Spain. Zheng is always a good ally to have around and a terrible foe to antagonise as he might pull others to do his own dirty work.

Whoops, volcanic eruptions! Never good! Sensing a famine and a can of rebellion about to open....
Spain and Portugal were going at it -- throw the Dutch into the mix, and I feel that with the tiniest push (from, say, a bored pirate warlord) it's not hard to effect changes from OTL.

Funnily enough (well, not funny exactly) there's another volcano in Mindanao scheduled to blow in 1641. I'll mention it in that update -- a bunch of people living nearby are probably gonna experience ash from the sky and crop failures -- but, well. That's life, sometimes.

Also, Zheng's nowhere near finished with his shenanigans.

640px-Image_from_page_88_of_%22The_life_of_Ferdinand_Magellan_and_the_first_circumnavigation_of_the_globe_%3B_1480-1521%22_%281891%29_%2814743853356%29.jpg

A sketch of Malacca, most remote outpost of the ailing Portuguese colonial empire

The year that the Europeans call 1641 begins in a most bright and cheerful way. Well, except in the Philippines, where a volcanic eruption on the southern tip of Mindanao showers the land with ash.[1] This doesn’t affect the Spanish much, who are still trying and failing to suppress the Moro sultanates on the island, volcano or no volcano. The colonial government in Manila has established outposts on Mindanao, but most of the island is still independent of their rule. Turns out people don’t really like being colonized.

Going a little bit to the side, the Dutch and the Portuguese are still fighting (when are they not?), this time over control of Malacca. It is a miserable place, albeit extremely well-fortified. The Portuguese had learnt the necessity of fortifications. Their seizure of Malacca more than a century ago had led to war with the Ming (who were furious at the deposition of the sultan), war with their neighbors (the successor states of the old sultanate), and war with pirates (who were very happy to take advantage of any chaos).

Having expended so much blood and sweat to take Malacca, the Portuguese are determined to keep it. And the Dutch East India Company is more than willing to expend blood and sweat to take Malacca from the Portuguese, on the principle that Portugal does not deserve nice things.[2]

The siege does not go well. It doesn’t help that the Dutch keep dying from disease -- their commander died several months into the siege, to be replaced by his second-in-command who died a couple months later, to be replaced yet again by one Minne Caertekoe who spends most of his time in command debilitated by illness.[3] Morale is pretty much at rock-bottom, and when rumors spread that Admiral Zheng is headed this way with a fleet of ships and reinforcements for the Portuguese (mostly adventurers from Ming-controlled parts of Dongshan), the Dutch pack up and return to Batavia.[4]

(The rumors the Dutch heard were mostly true. Admiral Zheng was, in fact, on his way, although less out of the usual desire for profit and more out of the principle that the Dutch East India Company does not deserve nice things.)

Anyways, the whole area around Malacca has been terribly damaged by war and a lot of people are dead. Because of the fighting, obviously, and also disease. Some of the disease is the usual tropical illness that tears through colonial forces operating in southeast Asia. Some of it -- well. The plague is here. In full force, now.

As an epidemic disease, the plague never really went away, but simply wandered off to ravage an untouched population or incubated quietly in its natural hosts. It has been simmering in China for years. However, a combination of increased internal travel, plus the occasional bit of foreign adventuring, means that the plague is now a big fucking deal. By 1641, the plague has reached Beijing.[5]

Now, in some counties and villages, huge swathes of the population die. That is the nature of an epidemic; urban or rural, anyone unlucky enough to get sick either recovers or dies. And a lot of people are unlucky.

Fortunately, most of the imperial court is fine. Princess Yining, the emperor’s daughter and youngest child, falls ill with a high fever but recovers; it’s uncertain whether she got the plague or a less serious disease. Han Yu, Minister of Personnel, falls ill and dies. So now it’s time for another reshuffling in the bureaucracy.

Cai Maode, Minister of Revenue, is moved to replace the late Minister Han. He, in turn, is replaced by Zhou Qiyuan, who until now has been Minister of Justice. (Reportedly, the emperor was thinking of promoting someone else, but Minister Zhou specifically requested his new portfolio, and he gets it.) His spot is eventually filled by Jiang Dejing (蔣德璟, born 1593) who becomes the new Minister of Justice.[6]

So, after this bit of musical chairs, we have our new slate of ministers.[7] The emperor is happy with the line-up -- rather than rapidly rotating through a series of (often ineffectual) bureaucrats, he’s got some decently competent scholar-officials who are accustomed to their respective departments and who are building the kind of institutional knowledge that will prove useful. In other words, they're becoming professionals. Not everybody is happy with this state of affairs -- lower bureaucrats who see the ministerial posts as the natural next step in their career are displeased. That being said, as far as the Tianqi Emperor is concerned, any development that lets his subordinates deal with things -- without bothering him! -- is a positive one. And it leaves him more time for big-picture stuff, like playing with his kids, or woodworking.

Gao Xuan, the hardworking lad from Kaifeng, arrives in Beijing. The recommendation of Qin Liangyu gets him an audience, although his lack of any advanced degree (he has a basic education) hinders him. Eventually, he’s pawned off on Zhou Qiyuan at the Ministry of Revenue. Minister Zhou is skeptical, at first, but eventually warms to his new secretary. The kid’s got guts -- and, at least, he’s not a Christian!

Footnotes
[1] Yes, another volcano. This is OTL. Ring of Fire, remember.
[2] IOTL the Dutch and Portuguese signed a peace treaty in 1641 that was supposed to guarantee peace for ten years but which in effect only applied to Europe, since their colonial proxies kept fighting each other.
[3] This is exactly what happened IOTL.
[4] IOTL the Dutch made one last push and managed to storm the citadel. Here, they give up a bit earlier.
[5] This was about when the plague arrived in Beijing IOTL. I figure that even without population displacements caused by large bandit armies, people would still be circulating around -- maybe for more positive reasons ITTL but nevertheless still moving from province to province, bringing with them the plague.
[6] Jiang Dejing is a scholar who IOTL and ITTL was initially sidelined after a conflict with Wei Zhongxian. IOTL he actually made it to Grand Secretary around this time -- although to be fair, IOTL the state was collapsing in the face of the Qing invasion, and so was in completely different circumstances. But he’s a bright fellow, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect him to head a ministry in more peaceful times.
[7] The ministers who remain in their positions are Kong Zhenyun at Rites, Wang Zheng at War, Dong Kewei at Works, and Qian Qianyi as Grand Secretary.

Ohh, the Portuguese might hold on to their colonial empire in Nusantara for a bit longer. No Aceh naval warfare with Portuguese so they might stay around for bothering other Malay states.

I'm pretty much sure all the leniency the Christians are getting now will evaporate sooner or later. People are developing a negative attitude to the seemingly strange practices which isn’t helped by papal restriction upon Chinese rituals.

Ohh, the Portuguese might hold on to their colonial empire in Nusantara for a bit longer. No Aceh naval warfare with Portuguese so they might stay around for bothering other Malay states.

I'm pretty much sure all the leniency the Christians are getting now will evaporate sooner or later. People are developing a negative attitude to the seemingly strange practices which isn’t helped by papal restriction upon Chinese rituals.
Honestly even with Ming assistance. Portuguese malacca days are numbered. Absolutely no one in the region remotely likes them. Aceh is still around the Buigs are building strength. Johor is gearing up for round 100. Yeah they are fucked the question is just a matter of time and how long Ming is around.

Yeah if nothing else Johore will try to make alliances with other European power in order to get back Malacca as the ruling dynasty at that time is the Malacca Dynasty.

Yeah if nothing else Johore will try to make alliances with other European power in order to get back Malacca as the ruling dynasty at that time is the Malacca Dynasty.
Honestly Johor will do almost anything to make sure malacca isn’t in Portuguese hands so yeah they will do it even though the sultanate doesn’t really care for the port city anymore (the city value has plummeted since the Portuguese took over . Batam and Bintan are better trading Centers tbh)

I am just waiting for Portuguese to screw up with Ming so that Johore will go to Ming to continue their alliance since the old Malacca age.

Beside I think Ming launched few war with Portuguese after the fall of Malacca but stop during this time.

I am just waiting for Portuguese to screw up with Ming so that Johore will go to Ming to continue their alliance since the old Malacca age.

Beside I think Ming launched few war with Portuguese after the fall of Malacca but stop during this time.
Not really what the Ming did was just killing Portuguese that were in China at that time. Portuguese that doesn’t have anything to do with the sacking of malacca

The Chinese Rites controversy hasn't really exploded yet (ITTL or OTL) -- while it was genuinely controversial in some quarters, the Pope didn't fully ban Chinese rites in the Church until the 1700s. And success is the best authority in such cases! But...I have introduced at least one religiously heterodox character thus far, one whom Trigault and company probably won't bend over backwards to help.

Honestly even with Ming assistance. Portuguese malacca days are numbered. Absolutely no one in the region remotely likes them. Aceh is still around the Buigs are building strength. Johor is gearing up for round 100. Yeah they are fucked the question is just a matter of time and how long Ming is around.

Not really what the Ming did was just killing Portuguese that were in China at that time. Portuguese that doesn’t have anything to do with the sacking of malacca
I would draw a fine line between "Ming assistance" and "Zheng assistance" -- but yes. Maybe the Portuguese, for now, are a better choice than the Dutch, but there are definitely those at court with long memories.

Johor (and, for that matter, Aceh) are both alive and kicking.

Last edited:
For anybody curious, the volcano eruption mentioned in the latest chapter refers to Mt. Melibengoy (called "Parker Volcano" by the Yanks). 1641 was the last known eruption and hasn't erupted ever since.

A Narrative Interlude [1641]
640px-Kang_Baiwan%27s_Mansion%2C_Gongyi_-_16.jpg

Interior of mansion owned by Qian Qianyi during the mid-1600s, preserved to present day as a historic residence

“Qian, old friend!” Admiral Zheng’s booming voice rang out as he swept the older man into a hug. Qian Qianyi accepted it with tolerance. True, he was Grand Secretary and theoretically above all this, but the Admiral had the emperor’s ear, so they were more or less social equals. Besides, this was an informal meeting at his house, and Zheng was an old friend.

“It is good to see you again,” he said politely. “How is your boy?”

“Growing strong. He’s a lad to make me proud.” Qian remembered meeting young Zheng Chenggong, who was by all accounts a bright young man. If I weren’t so busy with government business, I might have taken him on as a student, he thought.[1]

“Still no sons of your own? Not for lack of trying, I assume.” Zheng made a suggestive gesture.

“Lady Liu and I are quite happy, thank you.”[2] Qian coughed. “Listen, old friend, you need to be more careful.”

“Me? Careful?”

“I’m serious, Zheng.” Qian stepped close. He saw his friend’s bodyguards go on the alert, but ignored them. “Listen. I’m doing my best to cover for you, alright? The emperor likes you. What’s more, I like you, and I’ve got some sway here in Beijing. So please, take it from me that you need to be more careful.”

Zheng looked slightly offended. “Who says I’m not being careful.”

“Oh, don’t be a fool,” Qian huffed in exasperation. “As long as we don’t have foreigners marching on Beijing, everything is fine, but might it occur to you that picking fights like you’ve done is a little bit reckless, long-term?”

“I don’t pick fights I can’t win.”

“Sure! Fine! That’s the only problem! Fighting the foreigners might be lucrative, but even now there’s whispers that you’re doing it for your own benefit, and not the emperor’s. And whispers can be dangerous things. I can stamp out that sort of talk for now, don’t worry. But still, you need to watch yourself. Everything you do these days is provocative, it seems. Like you're throwing rocks at every nest of hornets you see. I’ve even heard that you’ve been minting coins.”

“I have permission-”

“Fuck the permission!” Qian rarely lost his temper. “Our beloved emperor, in his infinite wisdom, has told you that you can do what you like. You and I both know that you probably have good reasons for all of this. Just take a moment to think -- how does it look from the outside? Don’t you realize that people will be jealous, if nothing else? Why is this such a difficult concept for you to grasp?”

“The core of my authority,” Zheng said, voice level, “is that I produce a certain amount of profit for the emperor. This business of settling an island is expensive. If I do not render appropriate tribute, my head is on the line. We have been fortunate, for now, since we found gold, but the gold will not last forever, and even as it is, gold is a tricky thing to find, and a far easier thing to take from meddlesome foreigners. We’ve got a steady amount coming in from the rivers and streams, but it would be better if we could get to the source -- somewhere in those mountains, there are rich veins of gold, I know it in my guts. And if I give orders to have it made into the likeness of coins, pressed into regular shapes so that they are easy to transport and to exchange for goods and services, what does it matter?”[3]

“It matters because it looks like you’re asserting more authority than you were given,” Qian said. He was conscious that he was not a young man anymore. This conversation was tiring him out. “It looks like you’re setting yourself up as a king in all but name. Which, in point of fact, is not such an unreasonable assumption.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Zheng shot back. “I am a loyal servant of the emperor and any insinuation otherwise is insulting. It is not your place to comment on how I run my affairs, Qian.”

“Of course it’s my place!” Qian was genuinely angry now. “My priorities are larger than one little island! I’ve got to keep the empire running, putting out fires wherever they break out, coordinating all the departments that think they’re worthy of the emperor’s attention. I’m trying to help you because I can feel the pulse of Beijing!” He forced himself to calm, at least outwardly. “I’m trying to help you, Zheng. Promise me, as a friend, that you will be more careful in the future.”

Zheng looked at him coldly. “Of course,” he said. “I am always careful.”

Footnotes

[1] IOTL that’s exactly what happened. Of course, the fall of the Ming dynasty cut short the arrangement. IOTL Zheng Zhilong was executed and Zheng Chenggong’s formal education ended when he became an anti-Qing warlord -- things are obviously different ITTL.
[2] Liu Rushi (柳如是), a courtesan and poet who IOTL and ITTL is Qian’s consort. She was independent-minded, decades younger than Qian, sometimes wore men’s clothing, and evidently loved him very much. IOTL they had a daughter in 1648. Qian may have had children by other women, but they do not appear to have survived infancy -- at least, they do not exist ITTL.
[3] I think I’ve mentioned this previously, but most Chinese coinage of this era was made of copper. Silver and gold were both known, but mostly used as standardized weights of a valuable trade good. Silver coins in particular were probably more common than gold, since the Spanish were extracting a lot of silver from its colonial territories and thus its silver coins became a de facto regional currency in southeast Asia. ITTL the situation is similar, although Zheng’s been able to produce some limited number of gold coins with what he’s extracted from Dongshan.

Picking fights, ok. But minting coins is a big no no. Of course, Zheng being a wayward warlord doesn’t know much about the importance of 'economic authority'. Hope he survives, and I'm interested to see which path Koxinga/zheng Chenggong take.
Liu Rushi (柳如是), a courtesan and poet who IOTL and ITTL is Qian’s consort. She was independent-minded, decades younger than Qian, sometimes wore men’s clothing, and evidently loved him very much
Lovely lady. Qiyan got lucky.

Hello,

If Zheng ultimately steps over the line and possibly gets enough forewarning, he might bring together a small group of ships and whatever loot he could get away with. Of course, to throw off pursuit, instead of heading to the southeast or the Indian Ocean, he could head east...

Last edited:
Hello,

If Zheng ultimately steps over the line and possibly gets enough forewarning, he might bring together a small group of ships and whatever loot he could get away with. Of course, to throw off pursuit, instead of heading to the southeast or the Indian Ocean, he could head west...
You mean east, right? Heading west from China would take you further into Asia, then Africa and Europe.

Hello,

If Zheng ultimately steps over the line and possibly gets enough forewarning, he might bring together a small group of ships and whatever loot he could get away with. Of course, to throw off pursuit, instead of heading to the southeast or the Indian Ocean, he could head west...

…or he could go South! This is how we get Ming Australia, my EU4 simulations demand it!