The Dawn of a Century: an Iberian timeline

"Oh God, Niño why must you!?" Isabel exclamation. She looked around and found a strong stick. Placing the bunny on a head of soft mud and leaves, Isabel picked up the stick and went over to rescue her rabbit.

Isabel stood between her rabbit and the dog, holding her stick protectively. The dog pounced at the infanta while Isabel held the stick and tried to push the creature back.
Would you believe if I told you this exact situation also happened to me?
Except instead of a bunny it was a childhood friend

Anyways! Solid timeline
Looking forward to where you take this (sort of) United Iberia

Would you believe if I told you this exact situation also happened to me?
Except instead of a bunny it was a childhood friend

Anyways! Solid timeline
Looking forward to where you take this (sort of) United Iberia
I believe you but your friend's name was Niño?

Iberia is going to go through a loooot of stuff 😏

I believe you but your friend's name was Niño?
Nope, it was a girl :p
So you could say it was a niña
We both were nearly eaten by a dog almost our size when we were kids and I was just there nervously holding a stick while she hide behind me when my grandpa showed up with a rock and the dog left
Iberia is going to go through a loooot of stuff 😏
As is tradition!

Castile, 1480
Cordoba, Castile, August 23rd, 1480

Queen Isabel cradled her newborn daughter close to her cheast, as if looking out for any sign of weakness or illness in her. Luckily Maria was healthy, her head already had a thick sprout of hair while her eyes exhibited a certain kind of seriousness unknown in a child but witnessed in nuns. Isabel remembered how her children's eyes: Juana's was curious and active, worthy with her blood red hair giving her the very appearance of a warrior, Juan was quiet and serene, a lack of action but filled with admiration, Isabel wondered of her son would take after his Portuguese ancestor- Duarte o Rei-Filósofo. And then there was Isabel, her namesake and first born, with eyes a distint bluish green that gazed out and looked right back into her mother's eyes, Isabel didn't notice much during that time, she was only 19 and had her first child.

"Your highness? " Beatrice de Boabdilla, Queen Isabel's closest confidant and friend appeared by her side. At any other moments Isabel would have been outrageous if any lady had interrupted her time with her children but Beatrice was like an older sister.

"Beatrice, the sudden urgency! Is anything wrong?" Isabel asked as she clutched Maria closer to her heart.

"Oh no your majesty, by the blessings of the Virgin and the Lord everything is fair and prosperous over the country" Beatrice said as she made the sign of the cross. Isabel followed suit.

"Then?"

"King Fernando has requested to meet you"

Isabel's heart leapt with joy, her eyes widened and smile turned into a big grin, there was no need to hide anything from Beatrice, there was no feelings of predator and prey between them.

"Fernando! Is he well... send him in" isabel said, exited to meet her husband.

Beatrice smiled and left. Moments later Fernando walked in.

"My queen, how has your health been!?"

Fernando enquired. "And how is our little infanta?" He looked at the tiny bundle rested in Isabel's arms, awaken and cooing at her father.

"I am well dear husband " Isabel said "and so is our little miracle". Fernando seemed pleased. He had noticed that while Maria had eyes the colour of an amber wood, she had a hint of something so similar to what he had seen in his eldest daughter. Not the same, mind you, for what Maria had was deeper, more profound as if from the depth of her soul.

"My miracles" Fernando gazed at the two women (one only, the other is a girl).

"Yes, our Maria, blessed by the Virgin herself." Isabel sighed "yet I cannot help but feel the loss of our son"

"God thought it is more worthy for us to have a third daughter. Moreover, too many a son is also a curse when you try to unite two states. Who knows if our younger son could have been Henry of Lancaster..."

Isabel took a big inhale while Maria looked at her mother, perhaps understanding what what she was going through. She shifted against Isabel's chest as if attempting to comfort her.

"She understands how you feel Isabel" Fernando put forward gently. Isabel smiled.

"How far has the War against the Moors progressed?" Isabel asked in an attempt to change the topic.

"Some battalions are send over to Alhambra... arrangements are made to fortify the place yet raids aren't uncommon" Fernando specified.

The two Monarchs discussed the War for sometime.

"I think it is high time I should step up... I have had enough rest" Isabel confessed. Fernando, however, was enraged.

"What!?" He thundered, "have you lost your mind?"
"I am perfectly fine and so is our daughter... it's time she goes to the wetnurses"
"She can but you must stay.... you are in no condition lead men!"
"I have been in rest for more than 3 months... it's enough"

Maria, sensing the angry atmosphere, began to cry diverting her parents attention. Fernando immediately took her from Isabel's arms and began comforting her.

"Now, now little one.... it is fine" he spoke so softly that Isabel began questioning her own feminity. Fernando was always better with the children. Isabel knew why and it bothered her at times, even pained her to think that she was not the only one to bear Fernando's children.

Maria had calmed down and so had Fernando. He looked at Isabel and sighed.

"You are the Queen of Castile. In your kingdom only your words matter, the number behind my name is only a symbol. You are free to do as you please" he said, slowly, methodically, every word of his carrying a meaning.

"Fernando.... " Isabel said as she quietly slid her arm to rest against his elbow, "I know you want me to be safe..but I cannot sit ideally as my men die in battle... as their Queen it's my duty to lead them, to protect them"

Fernando looked at Maria and then at Isabel before looking at at Maria. "Who do you think she looks like?" He asked.

Isabel surveyed her daughter a bit before looking at Fernando. "She has your hair... and eyes, and..."

"She has your nose and reflection..." he completed for her.

Isabel suddenly felt self-conscious "Do I have a big nose?" She asked.

"Not really" Fernando answered truthfully, before realising his mistake "I mean you have a beautiful nose" he admitted, his eyes wide and mouth sprouting a small grin.

Isabel giggled, Fernando's antics reminded her of their first month of marriage, they were young then but now they were nearly 30. Yet that youthful mischief still found them at most unexpected hours. Fernando could never experience this with his mistresses, Isabel thought, Fernando seemed to be thinking the same, their eyes met in agreement.

"You liar" Isabel playfully called out.

"Was I wrong " Fernando asked grinning "afterall my queen and miracle" he looked at Maria who was cooing at her father, " They both have beautiful noses"

Isabel laughed, Fernando smiled, it was easy to please a woman, he thought.

Now they have three children - Isabel (1470), Juan (1477) and Maria (1480), right? .And one miscarriage in 1475. Will Juana be born later or she never exists here?

Portugal 1481
Moura, Portugal, January 1481

Winter had yet to depart from the Portuguese lands. The land was white while the skies were grey from the black smoke of the fireplace. Water froze quickly but the sea was still raging as if Poseidon was riding his chariot like the knights of the reconquista, charging at the lands only to be pulled by himself. Manuel liked watching the waves clash against the land. It often made him wonder what was beyond the line where the sky would kiss the sea. Diego had told him once that the ocean was like a woman, beautiful but dangerous, destroying anyone who were of a weak mind. Manuel didn't like to belive what Diego had said but he couldn't be wrong though, he was Manuel's only brother alive and the man in Manuel's life. He had written to Diego that month and was really hoping to get an answer this time. A scream followed by a giggle destroyed the serenity of the space, causing Manuel to turn about. He saw the infanta of Castile laughing as her playmate, the daughter of the Captain of Tangier, screamed and ran in circles while Niño chased her with his children. Isabel was trying hard to control her laughter and could have easily been rolling on the ground.

She would be a good queen, Manuel thought, atleast better than Leanor for she's always fretting over what will happen to Alfonso. "My nephew isn't dying anytime soon" Manuel thought aloud. Manuel saw the eldest infanta giggle, run, fall and laugh. I am the only man who has seen the future Queen of Portugal in the manner of her girlhood, Manuel felt an air of superiority, not even her father not even my nephew... I did. Grinning in his newfound magnificence Manuel went back to watching the waves.

********************​

Isabel couldn't hold her laughter as she watched Antonia try and fight against Niño, occasionally letting out a sharp scream.

"Get him away from me... get him away" Antonia shouted as Isabel caressed Juan and watched.

"Don't be silly dear, Niño is harmless" Isabel replied calmly.

"He will bit... he will..ahh" Antonia screamed as Niño jumped towards her.

Isabel sighed and smiled. She kept Juan down and went on to pick Niño up, stroking his back such that he calmed down in a few moments.

"You are too cowardly for a Portuguese " Isabel teased Antonia, who was too shocked to react to the insult. She simply straightened her skirts and gave Isabel a grumpy look.

"I find that you girls are having alot of fun", Isabel and Antonia look around found the Dowager Queen Joanna standing in the shadows of the palace, the light from the sun highlighting a certain sinister smile Isabel remembered seeing somewhere beforehand, she just didn't remember where.

"My lady" Isabel bowed in curtsy Antonia following suit. "How may we help you?"

"Ah Isabel dear, save that curtsy.... we are cousins and no one is watching.... let there be no formalities between us" Joanna said "why come inside.... it's too cold outside now and pretty ladies shouldn't spend much time out for it affects her beauty"

Isabel and Antonia looked at each other before deciding that it was really cold outside. They walked in and walked towards Joanna who immediately grabbed Isabel's shoulder once she was close enough.

"Why... you look so much like your mother" Joanna pulled Isabel's chin upwards before moving it around, inspecting Isabel's face, "the hair, the eyes, the face..... you are a Trastamára, are you not" Joanna's voice turned sinister, "I could have married you if you were a boy, dear Isabel". Isabel was getting uncomfortable with how Joanna was holding on to her, the hands sliding down.

"I... I.." Isabel muttered trying to free herself. Joanna silenced Isabel by putting a finger on her lips, she turned to Antonia, "My dear, would you mind leaving us a bit alone? I have met my cousin after a long time and would definitely like to learn more about her" Joanna smiled. Antonia nodded, looked at Isabel and walked off.

"Now that was an obedient girl" Joanna held Isabel tightly, "but we should definitely go to somewhere more private". Before Isabel could reply Joanna dragged her inside the castle, through the corridors and into a secluded spot. There was hardly any lights and Isabel felt a certain shiver down her spine. A single torch lit the entire corridor and the dust around the palace made it seem that people rarely came to this portion of the palace.

"So Isabel.... Named after your mother.... I almost feel that she is here... " Joanna said cupping Isabel's face with one hand while the other held her tightly. Joanna's touch made Isabel wimp in pain.

"My lady please be gentle it hurts" Isabel requested. Joanna laughed.

"Hurts?.... Oh my dear you don't know what actually hurts..... And with a mother as yours don't expect gentleness". Joanna pushed Isabel against the wall, closing the distance between them.

" You do not know your mother my dear" Joanna bowed down such that the space between their faces dimed as the torche's light. "You simply do not know your mother.... If it was not for her there would have been a Queen Joanna of Castile... If it were not for her I would not have been forced to bed an old man and then rot in a convent"

Isabel was visibly shaking now. Her cousin saw that and smiled, a smile that began to come back to Isabel from the dark of her memory, she knew that smile.

"What happened dear" The former queen of Portugal mocked "afraid?.... Because you should be" The hands that had gripped Isabel's shoulders began to move down and gripped her hips. The infanta of Castile understood what was to come.

"Joanna please... " There were tears in her eyes as Isabel struggled against her much stronger cousin.

"You are not getting any mercy anytime soon..... You look so much like your mother.... How much do I keep the urge to throw you in the ground, to tear off your garments.... To throw a knife deep inside you... To watch you struggle to live" Joanna sneered, her hands were traveling up and down over Isabel. She leaned in and whispered "and don't tell anyone dear..... Your mother doesn't like stains"

Isabel was crying now, she didn't want to, she didn't want Joanna to see her weakness but what happened in the next few moments were a complete blur of pain, tears and agony. Before she collapsed in her bed, the safety of her chambers Isabel remembered the bloodshot eyes of the Dowager Queen, her laughter close to madness, her appearance that of a witch. She remembered what Joanna screamed as she ran from her clutches, that her mother was a thief, a usurper. Maybe she was right, for the smile, it dawned on Isabel, she had seen it on the former king of Castile's face.

Ok this took a long time! Like sorry guys, I was a bit busy with work and school and other stuff, plus I had a writer's block over this chap..... But I hope u all will enjoy 😁

What a great and morally dark chapter! How is Portugal doing in Africa, in this period, by the way?
Thanks a lot...... and about Portugal and Africa, well I am learning and researching as we proceed. So, yeah, until I get some inspiration on what to do next we can assume everything is OTL till now