Oh, I didn't saw that, sorry. Well, Pitta at the moment he was elected Mayor of São Paulo he had a initial prospection to be somehow influent to run for Senate (as Maluf never would hand the Governorship to him so easy) or even to the Presidency, if not in '98 but in 2002. But his awful touch to govern and the scandals plus the troubles with his wife ruined his career.

And OTL the tucanos improved that "familiar" feeling as Maluf created inside rural São Paulo (along a decent support in the megalopolis too). Covas' leadership was quite historical from '64 coup d'état from redemocratization and later his establishment as a 'national-regional' political. José Serra was the PSDB's John McCain for a entire decade. Geraldo Alckmin despite his losses in '06 (presidential) and '08 (mayoral) managed to win two times both in the first round. And only by Dória's flip-flop along the OTL bolsonarismo won 2018. I guess the manager-not-politician guy hasn't a place together with ITTL tucanos, isn't? :D
Heh, Dória's political career has been (hopefully) butterflied away, since Ulysses didn't make Sarney's mistake of appointing him to the presidency of Embratur.

Seriously, the guy wanted to turn the Northeast's social problems into a tourist attraction.

You wrote that Jackson Lago is a member of PFL in the wikibox of Maranhao but said that he's a member of PTB, I imagine it's a typo. Also, I'm seeing that all those 1990 state elections are all being won by PTB, which I imagine is the influence of the election of Brizola. It really seems that PTB is building itself into a powerful national party, maybe this will reduce the division we have seen during the 1990 campaign? Not really knowing Brazilian politics on precision, I don't know how much different and in which way is this TL from PTL, but I can see this reality having a good way in building a better Brazil.

You wrote that Jackson Lago is a member of PFL in the wikibox of Maranhao but said that he's a member of PTB, I imagine it's a typo. Also, I'm seeing that all those 1990 state elections are all being won by PTB, which I imagine is the influence of the election of Brizola. It really seems that PTB is building itself into a powerful national party, maybe this will reduce the division we have seen during the 1990 campaign? Not really knowing Brazilian politics on precision, I don't know how much different and in which way is this TL from PTL, but I can see this reality having a good way in building a better Brazil.
...Fuck. I'll correct that right away.

Yeah, these elections happened right after 1989, and president Brizola is in the middle of his honeymoon period, which guarantees that PTB will reach its high water mark. It won't last forever, though, and I'm pretty much swapping the 90s (dominated by the right and neoliberal policies) with the 2000s but a bit more progressive (lots of social programs, plus other things like land reform and stuff, much of that outside Brizola's control)

EDIT: There, problem solved.

Last edited:
Here's a bonus picture featuring Juscelino Kubitschek and ACM during the 1950s.

ACM+e+JK+1960+Iate+Clube+BSB+Foto+Ag.Nacional.jpg

And here's Roberto Silveira, governor of Rio de Janeiro who died in a helicopter accident in 1961. His son, Jorge Roberto Silveira, was just five years old.

roberto%2Bsilveira%2B3.jpg

Heh, Dória's political career has been (hopefully) butterflied away, since Ulysses didn't make Sarney's mistake of appointing him to the presidency of Embratur.

Seriously, the guy wanted to turn the Northeast's social problems into a tourist attraction.

Quoi? :eek:

Still, though, another great series of updates. The downfall of ACM was certainly something that gave me a smile because of his role in, you know, that documentary.

Quoi? :eek:

Still, though, another great series of updates. The downfall of ACM was certainly something that gave me a smile because of his role in, you know, that documentary.
Here's a newspaper article focused on that:

joao-doria5.jpg

As for ACM, yeah, that guy was rancid. I can only hope that his grandson (who is currently mayor of Salvador and an extremely popular one at that) is better than he was, but I wouldn't bet on that, though. Unfortunately, I don't know what documentary you're talking about.

Part 6: 1990 Elections, Overview
------------------
Part 6: 1990 Elections, Overview

The 1990 general elections were a perfect storm for PTB and the Brizola administration as a whole. Taking place right after the president's victory in 1989, his supporters and allies were still very energized and showed up to vote for progressive candidates all over the country, and as if that weren't enough, the incumbent administration was still in the middle of its honeymoon period: those who voted for Brizola one year ago still supported him, and the milder skeptics who went for Collor weren't turned off by any giant scandals just yet and actually had reasons to be optimistic about their future. Combine this with the fact that many local rightist governments were decaying for various local reasons (many of them were in the pockets of coronéis who dominated their states for decades) and it is easy to see why 1990 is a year that is still remebered fondly by petebistas to this day.

1990.png

The gubernatorial map to which the people of Brazil woke up to on November 26 was the culmination of years of work by center-left and leftist activists and politicians that arguably began in 1979, when the Amnesty Law was signed by president João Figueiredo. It blssomed spectacularly: out of 27 states and one Federal District overall, 17 of those (including Brasília) elected governors who belonged to parties that were left-of-center. The two groups that celebrated more than PTB were PSDB and PT, the former electing five governors despite being just two years old and the latter taking the helm of the wealthiest of all states, a once in a lifetime chance for the petistas to show to the country and the world what they were truly made out of.

The legislative results were just as impressive:

Chamber of Deputies

PTB:
183 seats (+53)
PSDB: 101 seats (+60)
PT: 75 seats (+23)
PFL: 57 seats (-5)
PSB: 28 seats (+14)
PMB: 22 seats (+4)
PDS: 20 seats (-71)
PRN: 14 seats (+14)
PCB: 8 seats (+3)
PDC: 8 seats (-4)
PCdoB: 7 seats (+2)

In the Senate, the balance of power between the administration and the opposition now swung towards the former, although it was not as massive as the one that Brizola enjoyed in the lower house. Nevertheless, Saturnino Braga, who was the first petebista senator to be elected (in 1982) got enough votes to becom the first left-leaning president of the upper house in decades (1).

saturnino-prefeito.jpg

Senator Saturnino Braga (PTB-RJ) voting in Rio de Janeiro.

Although many strongmen were defeated, the 1990 general elections also saw the rise of a new generation of coronéis who would control their states' affairs for many years. These people, who would become known as "Novos Coronéis"("New Oligarchs") generally began their rise to prominence in the 1982 elections or perhaps earlier, but they all took over their states' media networks and apparatuses over the course of many years, becoming governors and stacking other important offices with their allies and relatives. The only major exception to this rule was Ronaldo Caiado (who became governor of Goiás), who belonged to an extremely old family that was politically active since the 19th century. The only political clique which hailed from the days of the dictatorship that survived was the Maia family in Rio Grande do Norte, likely because their small state was far more manageable and their opposition to Brizola wasn't as fierce as that of people like ACM and José Sarney (2).

Although the 1990 elections were a major blow to it, the ancient phenomenon that was coronelismo simply refused to die quietly. Instead, it would evolve and adapt to the new times ahead. It wasn't exactly restricted to the right either, as PTB's long control of Rio de Janeiro, which would take many years to be shattered for good, allowed many bigwigs and politicians from the party to engage in all sorts of shady practices in their towns and electoral redoubts (3).

407px-Jader_Barbalho_em_posse_do_seu_primeiro_governo_do_estado_do_Par%C3%A1_%28cropped%29.png

Jader Barbalho, governor and later senator from the state of Pará and one of the more infamous of the so called "New Coronéis".

All in all, 1990 was a watershed year in Brazil. From now on, the Brizola administration could implement all of its policies without fear of being obstructed by the sizable opposition minority in the lower house or its majority in the Senate. Now, the Old Caudillo only had himself and his allies to blame for all of his scandals, successes and failures.

------------------

Notes:

(1) A much better fate than the one he got. IOTL, he was elected mayor of Rio de Janeiro in 1985 and had to deal with the city's apocalyptic economic situation. In the end, he was forced to declare Rio bankrupt and his career was pretty much ruined from now on. Although he returned to the Senate in 1998, he never had the same prominence, and retired from politics in 2006.

(2) IOTL, Lavoisier Maia became a member of PDT for a few years, before he joined ranks with PFL. Now that the Old Caudillo is president, I can't see that behavior being butterflied away.

(3) Absolute power corrupts absolutely and all that.

Once again, this TL will go through a temporary hiatus so I can go back to my other work, which is here in case you guys want to take a look at it.

Next update will deal with the scandals that will rock the Brizola administration.

Hello, I'm from Paraná. The elected governor of my state is José Richa? Congratulations on AH!
You know, I'm torn between putting him or Requião (a member of PSDB ITTL because of PMDB's implosion) as governor of Paraná. I'll probably put in Richa, now that I'm thinking of it (he might make a good influence on Beto, heh).

Didn't Requião do some pretty shady stuff in the 1990 election IOTL? Something about a Ferreirinha?

You know, I'm torn between putting him or Requião (a member of PSDB ITTL because of PMDB's implosion) as governor of Paraná. I'll probably put in Richa, now that I'm thinking of it (he might make a good influence on Beto, heh).

Didn't Requião do some pretty shady stuff in the 1990 election IOTL? Something about a Ferreirinha?
Exactly, it was a 2nd round against José Martinez, Collor's candidate and owner of the small CNT (TV Station).
To ensure victory, the Requião campaign created the story of a hired killer subordinate to Martinez called Ferreirinha, they only discovered the truth in 1993, Ferreirinha was actually an actor and the whole plot was fake. There was an attempt to impeach, but Requião only left office for the election of senator, and won.

Tomorrow I'll hopefully start to write this TL's next update. I hope you guys appreciate some good old fashioned political corruption.

Last edited:
Part 7: Creative Accounting
------------------
Part 7: Creative Accounting

In a country where large parts of it were under the direct control of private groups and oligarchies for centuries, with the state having almost no power in many areas and sometimes entire states, it is not surprising at all that Brazilian politics could be extremely corrupt, something that was exacerbated by the rise of multiple authoritarian regimes throughout the history of the republic. The 1964-85 dictatorship did as much as it could to worsen this issue, thanks to the lack of accountability, the lack of democratic elections to many important offices and high levels of censorship: politicians like ACM, José Sarney and Paulo Maluf owed much of their current power and status to the bygone regime, and another noteworth case that displayed the incompetence of the dictatorship in this front (not that they were ever decent in other spheres either) was the appointment of Haroldo Leon Peres, a lawyer and congressman whose career was dogged by suspicions of unethical practices, to the governorship of Paraná in 1970. As governor, Peres was ousted after being in power for just seven months after being caught on tape trying to extract a one million dollar bribe out of a construction company (1).

As active members of this greasy system, it was inevitable that the progressive parties too would find members who would indulge in these practices, no matter how hard some of them, especially PT, tried to frame themselves as completely pure, incorruptible and moralistic groups (2). Although many of them would dismantle political machines and clientelist networks that dominated their municipalities and states for decades (like governors Waldir Pires in Bahia and Jackson Lago in Maranhão), a growing number of them would find it irresistible not to abuse their power for their personal benefit, aware that many of their more serious misdeeds would be shielded from the public eye by TV Brasil. As some of these characters would become more and more powerful as time went on, it became more convenient for local and national party leaders to simply ignore their activities, for expelling them would bring some very bad PR for them, and the crooks could always somehow retaliate.

Or, at least, that's what they thought. Some things are just too big to be kept under the rug for long.

show_1.jpg

The hot-headed and controversial Arthur Virgílio Neto (PSB-AM), governor and later senator from the state of Amazonas.

The first noteworthy progressive figure to be suspected of engaging in shady practices was the then governor of Amazonas Arthur Virgílio Neto. Son of the famous senator Arthur Virgílio Filho, who was forced to resign by the dictatorship in 1969, Neto had become a highly polarizing and controversial figure thanks to his aggressive, confrontational and often insulting way of playing politics, with a famous example of this behavior being when he called Lula, a fellow leftist, a "sad, bitter and illiterate fool" in the first round of the 1989 presidential election, though he later apologized for his remark (3). Shortly after defeating his opponent Amazonino Mendes in a tough, close race for the governorship in 1986, Virgílio was accused of receiving secret, illegal donations from multiple companies, something that allowed him to defeat his opponent, who was bolstered by the state apparatus commanded by Gilberto Mestrinho. Though the investigation into his campaign ended without any major bombs or spectacular arrests, it did much to undermine his popularity, though he would eventually recover and become one of PSB's most important members, winning a second term in the governorship and later winning a seat in the Senate (4).

If we were to list every single scandal that took place in the Brizola Administration, we would be sitting here all day and wouldn't be able to talk about half of them. Thus, we'll focus on the big ones, those that had national repercussions, the first of them having to do with one of the most prevalent styles of corruption: bribery and overpricing by construction companies. As the federal government began its ambitious program to refurbish its hospitals, schools, roads, bridges and railways, as well as build new ones with the collaboration of its state and municipal counterparts, swarms of entrepreneurs gathered every time a new project was elaborated, hoping to be awarded the honor of turning said project into a reality, along with the very juicy contracts that came with it. As thousands of such auctions were held, one single, mighty conglomerate stood above the rest as the winner in most of them: Odebrecht. Founded by the Recife-born businessman Norberto Odebrecht, great-grandson of the German engineer Emil Odebrecht (who moved to Brazil from his homeland in 1856), in 1944, it grew into one of the largest companies of its type in Brazil, and Norberto one of its richest men.

As time went on, it was found out by either journalists, ambitious prosecutors or simply people that were in the right place at the right time (or wrong, depending on your point of view) that Odebrecht and similar conglomerates, like Camargo Corrêa and Andrade Gutierrez, won many of their contests by bribing officials from multiple spheres of government (local, state and federal) with enormous sums of money, with the contracts later being grossly inflated to make up for their loss. These multiple schemes, which occurred in one way or another in every single state of the country, cost the federal government hundreds of millions, and eventually billions, of cruzados that could have gone to other areas that desperately needed them. Multiple politicians everywhere would be implicated, the highest ranking of them being governors like Celso Daniel (PT-SP) and Arthur Virgílio Neto, or senators like Roberto Requião (PSDB-PR) and Élcio Álvares (PDS-ES), a member of the opposition, the mentioned ones all either evading justice or being acquitted due to lack of evidence (5).

ArcoMetropolitano.jpg

The Arco Metropolitano (Metropolitan Arch), a road that links the cities of Maricá and Itaguaí in Rio de Janeiro, cost Cz$ 1.5 billion to be built (6).

However, these misdeeds were shadowed by a scandal that would strike deep into the heart of PTB in its mightiest stronghold, the city of Rio de Janeiro. In March 1992, with that year's municipal elections right around the corner, an enormous bombshell was dropped, one that turned the Marvelous City's politics upside down overnight. A massive scheme that diverted millions of cruzados from funds that were supposed to go to healthcare was discovered, and multiple petebista and even some opposition councillors, such as Jorge Picciani and Jorge Pereira respectively, were indicted and later arrested because of their connections to it (7). An especially flashy part of the scheme was the illegal sale of large amounts of blood products, which earned it the popular nickname of "Caso dos Vampiros" ("The Affair of the Vampires"), something that was especially damaging to the incumbent mayor Miro Teixeira, for although he wasn't directly implicated in it, his challenger, Sérgio Cabral Filho, made a big show about nicknaming him "Miro, o vampiro" ("Miro, the vampire") and the nickname stuck.

That alone would have been bad enough had the police investigating the whole thing not stumbled into a mountain of evidence that linked PTB-RJ to some unsavoury characters in the very dirty world that was dominated by the carioca samba schools. Many of them, such as Beija Flor, were quite active in politics, and had links to organized crime and the drug trade. It is therefore unsurprising that they had many links to the state government, which was almost completely dominated by PTB, and regularly commited crimes like money laundering and many other things. The real bombshell here was the fact that they often secretly (and illegaly) donated large sums of money to help multiple PTB candidates in their races, whether they were local or statewide, legislative or executive, in a series of dirty deals that stretched from the first days of Brizola's governorship until they were finally discovered and brought to the public eye (8).

Despite TV Brasil's best efforts to first obfuscate and then later minimize the full extent of the corruption that was plaguing the state of Rio de Janeiro, it couldn't keep the president's approval rating from plummeting from around 70% in February/March to approximately 45% in June, a stunning 25% drop in just a few months. Though the Old Caudillo's numbers were still pretty high, especially when compared to his predecessor's, a proof of just how powerful TV Brasil had become as well as the president's charisma, the scandal and its fallout suddenly made a lot of races that were almost guaranteed to be leftist victories into tough contests that could be won by the rightist parties. Its effects would be felt for many years to come, since a great many politicians' careers were either blown to smithereens or brought to new heights because of it.

------------------
Notes:

(1) A practice that still exists today, as we all know.

(2) Before the Mensalão happened, the petistas were extremely obnoxious about showing just how honest and ideologically pure they were, something that alienated potential allies like Leonel Brizola and his PDT.

(3) IOTL, Arthur Virgílio Neto started his career as a progressive politician before becoming a hardcore right-winger and member of PSDB. In 2005, while he was a senator, he said he was going to beat president Lula up. As you can see, he's still an asshole, but a leftist one.

(4) He later admitted to receiving these donations IOTL. So he's not just an asshole, he is also a corrupt one.

(5) All of the people mentioned here got into some sort of trouble with the law IOTL. Requião was accused of nepotism and did an extremely dirty trick in the 1990 Paraná gubernatorial election (), Virgílio's character and past have already been laid out, Álvares was accused of having links with organized crime in Espírito Santo, and a former secretary of Celso Daniel (before the mayor himself was murdered in 2002) was arrested in 2018.

(6) The Arco Metropolitano was built during Sérgio Cabral's horrible tenure as governor. It cost 1.5 billion reais to be built, and most people are afraid of traveling on it, since it's a very unsafe area, with more than 200 robberies taking place there in 2019.

(7) I don't need to go on about how awful Picciani is, but the other guy, Jorge Pereira, was once an extremely powerful player in Governador Island, since he ran a vote buying scheme that lasted many years and benefitted not only him, but also his wife, Graça Pereira, and the couple's son, Jimmy Pereira.

(8) For those who are confused, the scandal is like this: local scandal regarding healthcare funds --> statewide donations scandal involving samba schools and a lot of PTB politicians. And since Leonel himself governed RJ for four years, it's going to hit him just like Lula was hit by the Mensalão, even though it's a state scandal, not a national one.

USA Dump
Here's a bunch of wikiboxes from a few TTL elections in the USA, just so you guys have an idea of how they're doing before we focus on the 1992 municipal elections.

I was feeling really lazy while making this one, so I just swapped the winner and the loser without changing any numbers.
North Carolina 1990.PNG

The premise here is that Edwards really fucked up somehow and a lot of people didn't show up to vote for him out of disgust. If you pay attention to it, you'll realize that the wizard won't stay in power for long.
Louisiana 1991.PNG

I couldn't get this one right, for whatever reason.
West Virginia 1992.PNG

And here's the last one.
New York 1993.PNG

On the next update, we'll deal with the fallout of the Affair of the Vampires and the results of the 1992 municipal elections.

A question about the Brazilian media in this TL. In this confrontation between TV Globo (like a FOX) vs TV Brasil (like a CNN), where TV Record enters? Edir Macedo would buy it?